ARROWHEAD DRIVE

Best source for up to the minute Chiefs news, updates, rumors, and inside information!

Home  Calendar  FAQ  Usergroups  ArcadeArcade  Register  Log in  
Poll
Who is it?
 Geno Smith
 Luke Joekel
 Domontre Moore
 Jarvis Jones
 Manti Te'o
 Star Lotulelei
 Tyler Wilson
 Other
View results
Latest topics
» Naruto Shippuden Season 5 (English Dub)
Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:05 pm by tamger

» Jordi-nio-polla-dscargar-gratis
Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:23 pm by tamger

» Rihanna Russian Roulette
Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:06 pm by tamger

» Bitdefender Total Security 2015 License Key And Serial Key
Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:19 am by tamger

» Psiphon For 64bit Windows 7
Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:06 am by tamger

Advertisement

Share | 

John Dorsey

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: John Dorsey   Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:16 am

New Chiefs GM Dorsey has prepared for this task

By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star

In the final days before each NFL draft, longtime Green Bay Packers chairman Bob Harlan would make it a point to sit in the draft room and listen to the discussions.

The one voice he wanted to hear was John Dorsey’s.

Dorsey, who will be introduced today as the Chiefs’ new general manager, spent 21 years in the Packers organization as a scout and later director of college scouting under highly regarded general managers Ron Wolf and Ted Thompson. His opinion went a long way in determining the club’s draft choices that produced three Super Bowl teams and two world champions.

“I noticed under both Ron and Ted, John speaks out, he’s well prepared,” Harlan, now the club’s chairman emeritus after retiring in 2007. “They listened to him. He will say this guy is a prospect, or he’s not. He’s not afraid to put somebody down if other people are praising him and he doesn’t like him. He’ll say why doesn’t like him.

“He’s just as quick to tell everybody about the talents a player has and how he thinks he’ll fit in with Green Bay. He’s patterned himself to build a football team the way they built the Green Bay Packers. He’ll build through the draft. He’ll be very cautious on his free agency ...but he knows talent.”

Dorsey has another characteristic that will be just as important in Kansas City. Though requests to speak to Dorsey were declined by the Chiefs, he’s regarded as a people person, unlike the man he is replacing in Kansas City, the unapproachable Scott *****.

“One of the things that’s going to be very appealing in Kansas City is John’s personality,” said Harlan. “He’s very down to earth. The fans will take to him in a hurry. He’s great in the office, he’s great in the locker room.

“His enthusiasm will rub off on everybody. … There’s no arrogance, there’s no ego … I think he’s perfect for a franchise like Kansas City, and I think Kansas City needs some of that right now.”

Dorsey has turned down opportunities to leave Green Bay in the past _ other than spending 1999 with Thompson and coach Mike Holmgren in Seattle _ and has been a Packer since his playing days as a linebacker during 1984-89.

But Dorsey, 52, worked with new Chiefs coach Andy Reid when Reid was a Packers assistant during 1992-98, and couldn’t pass up this chance.

“He’s a very capable guy who deserved this,” Harlan said. “He called me a couple of weeks ago when this process started, and I told him it’s a great place to go. It’s a great franchise, a wonderful fan base, and he and Andy are so close, they’ll work extremely well together. I think it’s a natural fit.”

And, Dorsey’s wife, Patricia is a graduate of Kansas with a law degree from Washburn University and practiced law in Kansas City before moving to Green Bay. She still works from home for the Kansas City-based law firm, Polsinelli-Shugart.

“They’ve got a wonderful family,” Harlan said, “and are huge KU basketball fans, I can tell you that.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While a two-time Yankee Conference Defensive Player of the Year and Division I-AA all-America linebacker at the University of Connecticut in 1983, Dorsey envisioned a career as a trader on Wall Street before he was taken in the fourth-round of the 1984 draft by the Packers.

Dorsey was an overachieving, special teams captain for the Packers, leading the club in special teams tackles three times and playing in 76 consecutive games before suffering a freak knee injury in pregame warmups before the 1989 season opener.

“I guess you could call him a robust player,” Harlan said. “He was a hard-charger. I don’t know that he had the greatest talent the world, but he worked extremely hard, played extremely hard. He was on some bad Packers teams in the ‘80s. We were not a good football team. It was not an easy team to play for. “

Once his career was over, instead of making investments in the stock market, Dorsey began sizing up NFL futures by going into scouting for the Packers.

"After my playing days, I wanted to stay involved with football,” Dorsey told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel a few years ago. “I could have gone the coaching route, but there is something about scouting and the college game, the college environment that is unique and enjoyable to me. It’s fun."

Dorsey spent 1991-97 as a college scout, then 1997-98 as the Packers director of college scouting; a year at Seattl e as director of player personnel; followed by stints as director of college scouting for the Packers during 2000-11 before his promotion as director of football operations in 2012.

Dorsey first approached then-general manager Tom Braatz in the fall of 1989 about a scouting position.

"I went to Tom Braatz and said, ’I notice your scouts are 55-60 years old … it’s time for some new blood,’’’ Dorsey said. “He really tried to discourage me from getting into it. He said to come back in May after the draft and that we would talk some more if I was still interested."

Dorsey returned and the job unsung job of scouting players on college campuses and evaluating them on film was his. For the next 22 years.

“He’s got a great relationship with the college coaches around the country,” Harlan said. “People like to see John Dorsey arrive on their campus.”

Dorsey applied the same work ethic to scouting and evaluating talent as he did as a player.

"I always say if you’re not out there working, someone else is," Dorsey said. "You have to put in the time to find the players. You have to personally visit the schools and build relationships."

When Wolf was hired as the new general manager in 1991, Dorsey wondered about his future. He got the answer while on a scouting trip.

“I was at Rutgers scouting,” Dorsey told the Milwaukee paper, “and I got a call from Ron saying, ’Can you fly back here and show me how to work this computer?’"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dorsey credits his principles of drafting and building a team to what he learned from Wolf and Thompson, including the philosophy of acquiring value in the draft. Dorsey has said the Packers have always been committed to drafting the best available player.

“Best player available. We live it,” Dorsey told the Packers’ web site before the 2011 draft. “Our job is to find the best player we can possibly find to improve our roster. If we can make our roster as competitive as we possibly can, that’s all you can do. We’ve always been taught to stay true to the board, whatever you do, and we stay true to the board.”

That’s what happened in 2005 when quarterback Aaron Rodgers slid to the 25th spot because so many teams drafting ahead of the Packers in the first round did not see the position as one of need, including the Chiefs ,who took linebacker Derrick Johnson with the 15th pick. At the time, Packers legend and future Hall of Famer Brett Favre was coming off his 13th season, but Green Bay kept to their board and drafted Rodgers.

Rodgers understudied Favre for three years before taking over in 2008 and led the Packers to a Super Bowl title following the 2010 season and was league MVP in 2011.

Aside from a player’s height, weight, speed and strength, Dorsey said he looks at five intangibles in a player.

“One, are they a good guy? Two, do they work at their craft? Three, do they love football? Four, are they going to be good in the locker room? And five, would you like to have them as your neighbor?” Dorsey said.

Dorsey also told the Journal-Sentinel that he strongly considers things such as societal factors in figuring out a player.

"Alcoholism, bipolar depression, learning disabilities, ADHD. Each one of those specific types of disabilities will carry over to a person," Dorsey said. "I’m sure there’s a certain percentage of players that have varying degrees of these types of things. We’ve probably found one of the best tests in terms of helping us not to specifically label somebody but at least to throw up a flag to do deeper study in case it does come up.

"We turn rocks over. But tests alone are not the sole determining factor of a person, now, because I can sit down with a person for 10 minutes and kind of walk away and tell you exactly what he’s all about."

All of those factors will be taken into consideration for the Chiefs, who have the first overall pick in the 2013 draft.

“You have the No. 1 draft choice,” Harlan said of the Chiefs. “They can make some hay this year with what they’ve got. I don’t think John feels they’re far way. You’ve got some Pro Bowlers … there’s some talent there. You’re picking up a head coach and personnel man with a lot of experience. That team isn’t very far away. I didn’t think we were in 1991 when I hired Ron Wolf.

“John’s the same age Ron Wolf was when I hired Ron in 1991 … it seems to me it’s a great time for someone to come in and take over a ball club. “

In fact, Harlan points out, in the two decades of the 1970s and 1980s, before Wolf was hired, the Packers had four winning teams and made two playoff appearances. In the last 21 years, under Wolf and Thompson as general manager, the Packers have had 17 winning seasons, made 15 playoff appearances and won two Super Bowls.

“Those,” Harlan said, “are the gentlemen (Dorsey) has learned under.”

Mod Lord
Mod Lord

PostSubject: Re: John Dorsey   Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:12 am

I absolutely love this hire. Get ready to have some great drafts people!

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: John Dorsey   Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:53 pm

John Dorsey introduced by Chiefs to his 'dream job'

By Joel Thorman on Jan 14, 12:37p 452

The Kansas City Chiefs introduced John Dorsey as the team's sixth general manager in franchise history at Monday press conference. Below are notes and quotes from Clark Hunt and John Dorsey.

Clark Hunt mentions that Dorsey worked with Super Bowl execs Ted Thompson and Ron Wolf.

Hunt mentions Packers Pro Bowlers drafted under Dorsey: Clay Matthews, Greg Jennings, B.J. Raji and Aaron Rodgers

Hunt spoke with others about Dorsey. "Each person I spoke to emphasized John's skill as a talent evaluator and his ability to build a consensus as the best decision for the team."

Hunt mentions Dorsey's wife has strong ties to the Kansas City community -- she went to KU.

Everything we wrote about the Chiefs GM search
John Dorsey

"You've all met baby Jack I see." Dorsey's son was crying as Clark Hunt opened the press conference. Ha.

Dorsey's opening statement: "It is an honor today to be a member of one of the finest franchises in all of sports. I'd like to thank Clark and the entire Hunt family for inviting my family into the Chief family. This has been a seven day journey and it's been awesome. I humbly stand here today and I accept the challenges and responsibility of my duties."

Dorsey interviewed with Hunt, Mark Donovan, Andy Reid, and various members of the Chiefs organization.

On Lamar Hunt: "He's a pillar of the NFL. He's the founder of the Chiefs. I never had a chance to meet this man. I've heard such wonderful stories."

Dorsey on the GM-coach relationship: "I always admired the one trait they could do and that was work alongside the head coach because I think when the GM and head coach are in sync on the same thing, when they come to work every day, they check their egos at the closet, roll their sleeves up and get to work."

Dorsey: "We would like to be consistently competitive in the division, the conference and ultimately the Super Bowl."

Dorsey's message to the fans: "I am going to do everything within my God-given ability that we have as competitive as a team in the NFL as anyone in the NFL. I want to remind them. Please be patient. This is not a sprint. It is a marathon."

Dorsey on the QB: "Anytime when you build a franchise, let's be real here, the quarterback is a very important part of any franchise as you note in the last couple weeks of the playoffs. I think the quarterback position is a very important position to success, long term success, in the organization."

Dorsey on his draft philosophy: "Pick the best available player."

Dorsey on the NFL draft: "I haven't had a time yet to sit together as a staff, sit with coach Reid and get his understanding and make-up. He's still trying to put a coaching staff together. I'm still getting used to the personnel staff here."

Dorsey on the Packers model: "We've been doing the same model and concept over the last 20 years. We've refined it and tightened it up to where it is today." Hopes to implement a similar system with the Chiefs.

Dorsey on his role in Green Bay: "The important thing to remember when you sit in that chair, that chair that makes decisions, I didn't sit in that chair. Ted did and Ron did. But the chair I sat in, what I had to do was convince them that what I was telling them that that was correct."

Dorsey on why KC: "Perfect storm. You know what I mean by that? This is my dream job. Always has been. Ever since I met my wife in 1993, I've always wanted to and I've always dreamt of being the GM of the Chiefs one day."

Dorsey on why type of worker he is: "How you manage people and how you evaluate ultimately in this business determines your success."

Dorsey on free agency: "I like to be selective in free agency. I've always believed you can still get value within that philosophy and you can still acquire players. I think every year has a different case scenario and I think each year you have to study that and make determinations when you get together and set your free agency plan in motion."

Hunt on meeting Dorsey: "He expressed how excited he was that I was reaching out to him. In his interview, and although it went on for a while, he showed a high degree of enthusiasm the whole way. It was very clear to me that Kansas City was a priority for him."

Dorsey on the pressure of the No. 1 pick: "You haven't met baby Jack because there's pressure every day with him! We will address that. It's a positive and here's why: because we have the first pick in the first round, we also have the first pick in the remaining six rounds. We have the first pick in the waivers. It's about acquiring players. That's how we will aproach this." Note: The Chiefs and Jaguars alternate the first and second picks in each round after the first.

Dorsey on the GM-coach relationship: "A relationship between the head coach and the general manager is paramount of success in the NFL today. They both have to have the same philosophy and understanding. They have to be able to have discussion. Not debate but discussion. And ultimately have discussion that is best for the Kansas City Chiefs. With Andy Reid, I know I have that. I know the type of man he is and at the end of the day you want to know that collectively this thing is going to work. And it is going to work."

Dorsey on what the immediate plan is: "This week what we have to do is first evaluate the team, let's get together from a pro department, we have to put a plan together for free agency, put a plan together for our draft meetings, put a plan together on how the coaching staff philosophically, how they are with players and we'll move from there."

Dorsey on the free agents: "Give me three or four days to assess the talent level and I'll get back to you."

Dorsey says he will do the contracts.

Dorsey on the draft: "When you sit there on that draft day, all the hard decisions have been made. Now it's time for your facts to make your decisions for you."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: John Dorsey   Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:13 am

I think we are in for a great next ten years at least. The Eagles were very good under Reid until Banner took over, and Dorsey brought a lot of talent to the Packers. Every player he's drafted the last four years has seen playing time... Even more impressive that its playing time on a great team. Both guys know the importance of QB too... No more retreads for KC.

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: John Dorsey   Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:31 am

RustShack wrote:
I think we are in for a great next ten years at least. The Eagles were very good under Reid until Banner took over, and Dorsey brought a lot of talent to the Packers. Every player he's drafted the last four years has seen playing time... Even more impressive that its playing time on a great team. Both guys know the importance of QB too... No more retreads for KC.

From what I gather, Dorsey hasn't had final say on decisions. I hope your right!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Touchdown Bowe
Mod Lord
Mod Lord

PostSubject: Re: John Dorsey   Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:48 pm

I dont think ive ever been this pumped in January. Were building this team around proven winners from different teams. Still hoping we can bring in Tom Heckert as some kind of personnel guy.

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: John Dorsey   Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:59 pm

BigRatt wrote:
RustShack wrote:

From what I gather, Dorsey hasn't had final say on decisions. I hope your right!

He didn't have final say, but he assembled the draft board.

PostSubject: Re: John Dorsey   

Back to top Go down

John Dorsey
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1