ARROWHEAD DRIVE

Best source for up to the minute Chiefs news, updates, rumors, and inside information!

Home  Calendar  FAQ  Usergroups  ArcadeArcade  Register  Log in  
Poll
Who is it?
 Geno Smith
 Luke Joekel
 Domontre Moore
 Jarvis Jones
 Manti Te'o
 Star Lotulelei
 Tyler Wilson
 Other
View results
Latest topics
» Naruto Shippuden Season 5 (English Dub)
Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:05 pm by tamger

» Jordi-nio-polla-dscargar-gratis
Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:23 pm by tamger

» Rihanna Russian Roulette
Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:06 pm by tamger

» Bitdefender Total Security 2015 License Key And Serial Key
Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:19 am by tamger

» Psiphon For 64bit Windows 7
Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:06 am by tamger

Advertisement

Share | 

Reid and QB's

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Reid and QB's   Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:29 am

Reid’s first task with Chiefs: Finding a QB

Quote:
The Chiefs have no quarterback capable of taking them where they want to go and, given the meager crop of available passers in the draft and free agency this year, little prospect of finding one any time soon.

That may be a big reason they hired Andy Reid, who in the last 14 seasons coaching the Philadelphia Eagles was rarely without one of the league’s better quarterbacks.

“The Eagles always did a good job developing that position while Andy was there,” former Chiefs quarterback Rich Gannon said. “He teaches fundamentally sound football and footwork and decision making. That’s why they’ve had a lot of success.”

Finding a quarterback will be one of the first priorities for Reid, who will be introduced as the Chiefs new head coach today at a news conference at Arrowhead Stadium.

Given Reid’s history, the next starting quarterback for the Chiefs doesn’t have to be a top draft pick or otherwise a high-profile passer. Reid has worked with high draft choices like Donovan McNabb and Michael Vick, but he also took quarterbacks off the scrap heap (Jeff Garcia) and as lower-round picks (Kevin Kolb, Nick Foles as a rookie last season) and got some good play from them.

It’s interesting to note that other briefs playing stints by Garcia and Vince Young, all of Reid’s quarterbacks were better players for Reid than before or after he coached them.

“His history with quarterbacks speaks for itself,” said A.J. Feeley, one of Reid’s former Eagles quarterbacks. Feeley began his NFL career with Philadelphia, later returned to play there and also spent time with four other teams.

“His whole time with Philadelphia, I don’t think the quarterback play was ever in question. Andy’s attention to detail is what sets him apart from other coaches I’ve had. He’s so good at putting quarterbacks in a position to be successful. I played in other places for other coaches. Andy makes the game I don’t want to say easier but he’s always finding a game plan that fits the quarterback’s strength.

“You could make the argument that there are a lot of quarterbacks that came into the league with more talent and a better skills set than some of the guys who played for Philadelphia. But the guys with Andy for the most part were able to sustain it for a long career. That’s a pretty good indication that the guy has a good influence on quarterbacks.”

Reid was a guard and defensive end in college at Brigham Young and began his coaching career working with the offensive line. He later became the quarterbacks coach in Green Bay, where one of his pupils was Brett Favre and it was in part his work with Favre that helped him land the job with the Eagles.

In Philadelphia, offensive coordinators and position coaches worked with the quarterback but Feeley described Reid as being a hand-on head coach when it comes to the passing game.

“What’s being told to the quarterback is being funneled from Andy to the quarterback coach,” said Feeley, who started five games for the Eagles in 2002 and two in 2007. “You’re being evaluated by him all the time. When you’re at practice, he stands behind you all the time and he’s watching closely on each and every play, each and every throw.

“There are things that other coaches might find insignificant and not really relevant to the game of football that are important to Andy. How you come into the huddle to how you break the huddle to the pace of practice to where you sit in meetings to how you dress for practice, those little things mean a lot to Andy and you learn that right away. He believes that practicing perfectly translates to playing perfectly. Not all coaches believe that. In a lot of places, that kind of thing is overlooked.”

Perhaps it’s a testament to Reid’s belief in his ability to find and develop a quarterback that he wasn’t scared off by the fact Chiefs quarterback Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn were the two lowest rated passers in the NFL last season.

The Chiefs also have Ricky Stanzi, a fifth-round draft pick in 2011. Stanzi hasn’t played in a regular season game since he joined the Chiefs.

“It has to be scary to Andy that the Chiefs don’t have a quarterback,” Gannon said. “Look at the situations in Chicago and in San Diego (with both teams looking for a head coach). Those teams have quarterbacks in place. They may be a little bit further along. Kansas City has some Pro Bowl players and a decent nucleus to draw from but it’s a lot harder if you don’t have that guy at quarterback.

“It’s not a good year to be looking for one. The free-agent class won’t be a good one and it’s not a real strong draft for quarterbacks, There’s no Andrew Luck out there and no RG3 (Robert Griffin III). It may be a situation in Kansas City where they do what Seattle did last year and go and sign a quarterback and you also draft one. But there are no guarantees. Just because the rookies this season are playing so well, it doesn’t mean that every time you go out and draft a quarterback he’s going to develop into the next Andrew Luck.”

Mod Lord
Mod Lord

PostSubject: Re: Reid and QB's   Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:15 pm

Andy knows our biggest hole is QB. With solid QB play and good coaching, this team is at least a wildcard team. If we fix our secondary & resign Bowe and Albert along with bringing in our next QB and having him play solid, we'll be contenders.

All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Reid and QB's   Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:30 pm

Reid didn't rule out going a different direction with the #1 pick, or waiting until next year. He said hes going to evaluate and talk to the guys currently on the roster first. Would be interesting to see if he thinks he has something in Quinn. All QB's have career years under Reid, and after he cons teams out of high picks for them, they fail on the new teams.

I'll have a hard time being too disappointed if he goes a different direction with the top pick, he knows better than anyone if a QB this year is worth the pick or not. When it comes to QB's, I will trust Reids choice no matter what it is.

I would assume Quinn isn't renewed, Cassel is cut, and Stanzi MIGHT be kept just because he has a small contract. But maybe he elects to resign Quinn and cut the other two. Either way I see us drafting a QB, and signing a veteran who has previous Reid ties most likely.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Reid and QB's   Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:56 pm

Unless he turns Quinn into a top QB or lands Geno/Wilson in round two, damn well better get Geno. The rookie cap makes the draft a lot different now, just draft the player that helps us the most and that's Geno. Overall this is just a down top of the draft just like when we took Jackson.. It's OK to "reach" a little.

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Reid and QB's   Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:03 am

RustShack wrote:
Unless he turns Quinn into a top QB or lands Geno/Wilson in round two, damn well better get Geno. The rookie cap makes the draft a lot different now, just draft the player that helps us the most and that's Geno. Overall this is just a down top of the draft just like when we took Jackson.. It's OK to "reach" a little.

I think having to for sure wait until 2 to get Wilson is too big of a gamble. If I'm a team that for sure wants Wilson then I'm going to leap frog KC with Jacksy at the top of 2 to get him assuming someone hasn't taken him at the tail end of 1. If we don't get anyone in FA then they will have to take Geno #1. I don't see how Reid can afford to trash his 1st year by not committing to a QB. Another year of watching the ass droppings we call our current QB stable would be enough to send me over the edge.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Touchdown Bowe
Mod Lord
Mod Lord

PostSubject: Re: Reid and QB's   Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:30 am

Tyler Wilson wont fall out of the top 10..possibly top 5.

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Reid and QB's   Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:43 am

Teams are willing to reach on QB's, especially now that there is the rookie pay scale in place. No way in hell Tannahill goes as high as he did in previous years.

A QB will help this team more than any other player at any other position. Geno and Wilson are the two guys that can give us the biggest improvement.

Reid is also a guy whos not afraid to take multiple QB's and develop them and flip them for high draft picks.

Mod Lord
Mod Lord

PostSubject: Re: Reid and QB's   Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:51 am

RustShack wrote:
Teams are willing to reach on QB's, especially now that there is the rookie pay scale in place. No way in hell Tannahill goes as high as he did in previous years.

A QB will help this team more than any other player at any other position. Geno and Wilson are the two guys that can give us the biggest improvement.

Reid is also a guy whos not afraid to take multiple QB's and develop them and flip them for high draft picks.

Left tackles win games though. QBs are too big of a gamble. - 09

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Reid and QB's   Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:55 am

Screw QB, lets draft a #2 CB since we let ours walk! CB>LT>QB

Mod Lord
Mod Lord

PostSubject: Re: Reid and QB's   Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:20 am

Lets let Albert walk because he had back issues after being ranked in the tops early in the season.

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Reid and QB's   Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:26 am

RustShack wrote:

you are right about QB but when the drop off between the 1sr rounders this year and the 2nd and 3rd rounders is so minimal there is no reason to reach at 1. I personally think they should trade out of the spot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Reid and QB's   Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:01 pm

I think Geno is far and away the best QB, especially considering the coach we have to reach his max potential.

All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Reid and QB's   Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:30 pm

At this point leaning towards Geno myself. But wouldn't be upset at all with Wilson either.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chiefbravebull
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Reid and QB's   Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:07 pm

I still think that if we do draft a QB with the first pick, we need a veteran to bridge the gap until he is ready. Putting him in too early could turn out very bad. None of these guys are that good that I know of.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OutlawChief
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Reid and QB's   Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:37 am

Just a thought. But since Reid is so good with Qbs why is no one talking about what he may be able to do with Stanzi. Or we calling him a lost cause at this point. I know he couldn't leap frog Cassel or Quinn, but was it him or another fail by Pioli and Crennel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Reid and QB's   Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:40 am

Stanzi wasn't good at Iowa, so I'm not holding out hope.

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Reid and QB's   Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:24 pm

RustShack wrote:
Stanzi wasn't good at Iowa, so I'm not holding out hope.

I don't think much of him either but it was pretty selfish of Crennell not to play him. Could've easily given him a game or even a half for crying out loud!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kcchiefs
Mod Lord
Mod Lord

PostSubject: Re: Reid and QB's   Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:15 am

Dont forget that we still have Alex Tanney on the roster. He could be a strong candidate to be our number 2 this upcoming season. They wouldnt have put him on IR if they didnt see anything in him.

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Reid and QB's   Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:39 pm

Lol

PostSubject: Re: Reid and QB's   

Back to top Go down

Reid and QB's
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1