ARROWHEAD DRIVE

Best source for up to the minute Chiefs news, updates, rumors, and inside information!

Home  Calendar  FAQ  Usergroups  ArcadeArcade  Register  Log in  
Poll
Who is it?
 Geno Smith
 Luke Joekel
 Domontre Moore
 Jarvis Jones
 Manti Te'o
 Star Lotulelei
 Tyler Wilson
 Other
View results
Latest topics
» Naruto Shippuden Season 5 (English Dub)
Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:05 pm by tamger

» Jordi-nio-polla-dscargar-gratis
Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:23 pm by tamger

» Rihanna Russian Roulette
Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:06 pm by tamger

» Bitdefender Total Security 2015 License Key And Serial Key
Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:19 am by tamger

» Psiphon For 64bit Windows 7
Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:06 am by tamger

Advertisement

Share | 

Stanford Routte Cut, Gary Gibbs now DC.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Stanford Routte Cut, Gary Gibbs now DC.   Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:10 pm

Stanford Routt cut by the Chiefs

By Joel Thorman on Nov 5, 1:40p

Here's a surprise for you: the Chiefs just waived Stanford Routt.

#Chiefs waived Stanford Routt to make room for Shaun Smith, Romeo references "relationship" w/ Routt not progressing. Interesting.
— Sam Mellinger (@mellinger) November 5, 2012

Yes, the free agent pickup and also the starting cornerback has been cut. Routt will hit the waiver wire, meaning every other team will have a shot at him. If he's not picked up by someone, he'll become a free agent.

Routt's spot will be taken up by Shaun Smith, who was officially signed.

I'm pretty surprised the Chiefs made the decision to release him. According to the reports at the time, Routt signed a 3-year, 18 million deal that included $6 million guaranteed. If that's the case -- and the reporting of contract numbers is always tricky -- the Chiefs paid a lot of money for very little production. He played in eight games.

There's also this:

Romeo also sort of fired himself as DC, promotes Gary Gibbs. Interesting.
— Sam Mellinger (@mellinger) November 5, 2012
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Stanford Routte Cut, Gary Gibbs now DC.   Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:13 pm

Holy Shit! Will Jalil Brown be the starter? Surely they aren't going to roll with Travis Daniels as the starter. Crennell stepped away from DC. I read that Gibbs is aggressive and likes to bring pressure a lot. Which is good, and I think Crennell has shit the bed a bit with not using our pass rushers more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Stanford Routte Cut, Gary Gibbs now DC.   Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:16 pm

Cutting Route is just a crazy move. This may be the most bizarre season I have ever watched as a Chiefs fan! I also read that he was having problems in the locker room.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Stanford Routte Cut, Gary Gibbs now DC.   Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:48 pm

LOL. I thought Routt was better than Carr. Oh wait I didnt think that Rust did. Routt was a piece of shit that only had a couple ints because he had a million balls thrown his way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OutlawChief
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Stanford Routte Cut, Gary Gibbs now DC.   Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:26 pm

At least they are admitting mistakes and trying to change it up. A lil to late but they see change is needed. Also read Rac left the door open for Stanzi to maybe play if Quinn isn't cleared.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Stanford Routte Cut, Gary Gibbs now DC.   Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:40 pm

Chiefs09 wrote:
LOL. I thought Routt was better than Carr. Oh wait I didnt think that Rust did. Routt was a piece of shit that only had a couple ints because he had a million balls thrown his way.

There's more to this than his play. He must have a mouth and not be playing well with others which is what I was reading earlier. You don't just cut your 2nd best corner with 6 million guaranteed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chiefbravebull
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Stanford Routte Cut, Gary Gibbs now DC.   Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:41 pm

This just keeps getting fuckin wierder. How the fuck!?! This makes now since at all! I laugh to keep from like from crying.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Stanford Routte Cut, Gary Gibbs now DC.   Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:55 pm

He should have been promoted to DC from the beginning if they weren't going to bring someone else in. I don't think cutting our second best CB was that good on an idea either unless they think Brown or Daniels is ready to step up. He was also our best man coverage CB, so if Gibbs is more aggressive(which he needs to be) that would play into his favor... something else had to have happened. Or they are just trying to make the fans a little more happy(which its going to take a lot more than that.)

Shaun Smith is also the type of attitude the defense needs.

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Stanford Routte Cut, Gary Gibbs now DC.   Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:02 am

RustShack wrote:
He should have been promoted to DC from the beginning if they weren't going to bring someone else in. I don't think cutting our second best CB was that good on an idea either unless they think Brown or Daniels is ready to step up. He was also our best man coverage CB, so if Gibbs is more aggressive(which he needs to be) that would play into his favor... something else had to have happened. Or they are just trying to make the fans a little more happy(which its going to take a lot more than that.)

Shaun Smith is also the type of attitude the defense needs.

Agreed on Smith! At this point Gibbs need to fucking turn the hounds loose! What the hell do we have to lose? God I hope daniels is not the #2. There is more to this Routte thing than meets the eye. Be interesting to hear the whole story when it comes out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Stanford Routte Cut, Gary Gibbs now DC.   Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:13 am

Send Houston more than Crennel did, and that helps the DB's.

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Stanford Routte Cut, Gary Gibbs now DC.   Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:39 am

KANSAS CITY, Mo. —

Chiefs coach Romeo Crennel relieved himself of duties as defensive coordinator on a day of massive changes that included the waiving of cornerback Stanford Routt and the signing of defensive tackle Shaun Smith.

Crennel had been juggling head coaching and coordinator duties since taking over on an interim basis when Todd Haley was fired last December. Gary Gibbs will take over as defensive coordinator and Crennel plans to spend more time with the rest of the team.

"We have a young team, you know? And some guys, their perception, all right, may be that I'm a defensive coach, or a defensive coordinator, and I don't care about other parts of the team, which is not true," Crennel said Monday. "They will see I'm concerned about the whole team."

The Chiefs fell to 1-7 with Thursday night's 31-13 loss at San Diego, their fifth straight defeat. They still have yet to lead a game in regulation this season.

They play Monday night at Pittsburgh.

Crennel said he wasn't overwhelmed by his dual roles, but he did say that the time demands made it difficult to spend as much time as he wanted with both sides of the ball.

"We're going to try to get this thing right and get this thing turned," Crennel said. "We're going to try to do everything we can to come out these eight games on the winning ledger."

That played into Monday's roster moves, too.

Routt was one of the Chiefs' notable free-agent acquisitions, signing a three-year, $18 million deal to fill in after Brandon Carr left for the Dallas Cowboys.

The longtime member of the Oakland Raiders has struggled mightily in Crennel's defensive scheme, though. He's been routinely beaten for long pass plays, including two weeks ago against his former team, and missed last week's game with what the Chiefs called a hamstring injury.

"You have relationships," Crennel said. "You bring people in and you hope that things work the way you want them to work. The transition was taking a little longer than I thought it would take.

"We just thought it was time to part ways. That's what we did."

Javier Arenas started in Routt's place last week against San Diego, and Crennel said that's what he envisions going forward. Jalil Brown will also be in the mix.

"He was trying, giving effort," Crennel said of Arenas, who has played primarily nickel back since the Chiefs drafted him. "He made tackles. He came up on run support, made tackles on run support. I think he represented himself pretty decently."

The roster spot opened by waiving Routt was filled by Smith, who played in Kansas City two years ago but who's been out of the league since the Titans waived him in August.

The veteran defensive tackle provides valuable depth along the defensive line, where Glenn Dorsey could miss significant time after hurting his calf against the Chargers. Dorsey already has missed four games this season with the same injury.

Smith signed a three-year, $7.5 million deal with Tennessee after the lockout ended last year, but was jettisoned after a mediocre season in which younger players developed at his position.

"The depth along the defensive line, particularly with Dorsey's situation there, I think that he helps us," Crennel said. "He's a big body - big, strong, physical guy. He's seen a lot. He understands our system, what I want and what I'm looking for, and I think he'll help us."

In other injury news, Crennel said that quarterback Brady Quinn (concussion) will be evaluated Tuesday and a determination made later this week about his availability Monday night.

Crennel refused to say whether Quinn will start over Matt Cassel if he's cleared.

"Quinn has made progress, but he's out. He's not allowed to practice," Crennel said. "He's being evaluated tomorrow and then they'll let me know something at that time."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Stanford Routte Cut, Gary Gibbs now DC.   Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:40 am

There is the answer. Crennell didn't think Routte was making the transition. So he replaced Route with 2 guys that was targeted 9 times last week against SD and they allowed 9 receptions. Sounds like a plan to me!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OutlawChief
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Stanford Routte Cut, Gary Gibbs now DC.   Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:38 am

So after the new changes should we start a count down on how long until firings begin lol. Sorry gotta laugh to numb the pain.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Stanford Routte Cut, Gary Gibbs now DC.   Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:13 am

OutlawChief wrote:
So after the new changes should we start a count down on how long until firings begin lol. Sorry gotta laugh to numb the pain.

I don't know. I'm surprised the firings haven't happened yet. Naming Routte the scape goat and firing his ass isn't going to make it better if that's they are thinking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chiefbravebull
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Stanford Routte Cut, Gary Gibbs now DC.   Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:04 pm

I just dont get why Routt was cut. It makes no sense at all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Stanford Routte Cut, Gary Gibbs now DC.   Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:48 pm

chiefbravebull wrote:
I just dont get why Routt was cut. It makes no sense at all.

He sucks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Touchdown Bowe
Mod Lord
Mod Lord

PostSubject: Re: Stanford Routte Cut, Gary Gibbs now DC.   Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:53 am

This team is the biggest fucking joke of the NFL.

That is all.

All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Stanford Routte Cut, Gary Gibbs now DC.   Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:47 pm

Rumors are that Routt called out Romeo for how bad the defense was. Also rumors are that guys like Hali and DJ are(have been) afraid to speak out, and are litterally just going through the motions not caring at all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Stanford Routte Cut, Gary Gibbs now DC.   Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:40 pm

I could see being let go for speaking out happen. But its probably something to do with the fans just hated him since we let Carr go.. and just a lame attempt to make the fans happy just like by "benching" Cassel.

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Stanford Routte Cut, Gary Gibbs now DC.   Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:31 am

Reports are that Route has 3 suitors. Cards, Lions, and Phins.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Stanford Routte Cut, Gary Gibbs now DC.   Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:31 am

SylvesterMalone1978 wrote:
Rumors are that Routt called out Romeo for how bad the defense was. Also rumors are that guys like Hali and DJ are(have been) afraid to speak out, and are litterally just going through the motions not caring at all.

I could see that as being what happened.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Touchdown Bowe
Mod Lord
Mod Lord

PostSubject: Re: Stanford Routte Cut, Gary Gibbs now DC.   Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:42 pm

SylvesterMalone1978 wrote:

Wouldnt surprise me with DJ and Hali..They need a guy that lights a fire under their ass and Crennel is not that. Well that and they know no matter how hard they play, Cassel wont put points on the board for them.

PostSubject: Re: Stanford Routte Cut, Gary Gibbs now DC.   

Back to top Go down

Stanford Routte Cut, Gary Gibbs now DC.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1