ARROWHEAD DRIVE

Best source for up to the minute Chiefs news, updates, rumors, and inside information!

Home  Calendar  FAQ  Usergroups  ArcadeArcade  Register  Log in  
Poll
Who is it?
 Geno Smith
 Luke Joekel
 Domontre Moore
 Jarvis Jones
 Manti Te'o
 Star Lotulelei
 Tyler Wilson
 Other
View results
Latest topics
» Naruto Shippuden Season 5 (English Dub)
Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:05 pm by tamger

» Jordi-nio-polla-dscargar-gratis
Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:23 pm by tamger

» Rihanna Russian Roulette
Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:06 pm by tamger

» Bitdefender Total Security 2015 License Key And Serial Key
Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:19 am by tamger

» Psiphon For 64bit Windows 7
Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:06 am by tamger

Advertisement

Share | 

Cassel cleared to practice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Cassel cleared to practice   Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:49 pm

Will split reps with Quinn 50/50

Mod Lord
Mod Lord

PostSubject: Re: Cassel cleared to practice   Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:17 pm

So he's starting against Oakland. FUCK YEAH!!

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Cassel cleared to practice   Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:21 pm

Cassel does increase our chances of major changes and Smith/Barkley.

Mod Lord
Mod Lord

PostSubject: Re: Cassel cleared to practice   Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:27 pm

True. With decent defensive play Quinn would probably give us 3-5 wins..which comes out as top 5 but not #1.

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Cassel cleared to practice   Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:54 pm

I think if Quinn keeps playing with the ones there is a chance of something happening. We need Baldwin to start playing smart though instead of trying to make one handed highlight real catches when he can easily put two hands on it. I'm sure hes getting irritated though, because he knows he can make those highlight real catches.

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Cassel cleared to practice   Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:51 pm

RustShack wrote:
Cassel does increase our chances of major changes and Smith/Barkley.

And a 1-15 record which is what it might take to get Pioli fired. Would be nice to lose the worst starting QB and worst GM at the same time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Touchdown Bowe
Mod Lord
Mod Lord

PostSubject: Re: Cassel cleared to practice   Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:24 pm

RustShack wrote:
I think if Quinn keeps playing with the ones there is a chance of something happening. We need Baldwin to start playing smart though instead of trying to make one handed highlight real catches when he can easily put two hands on it. I'm sure hes getting irritated though, because he knows he can make those highlight real catches.

I think Dabolls dumbass needs to start giving our WR chances to make plays. Baldwin is one of those guys who's capable of getting in the endzone from midfield. He isnt built for the short quick slants and the short bullshit Daboll loves to run. Bowe is..thats why he's been putting up numbers. Why Breaston isnt even hitting the field is mind blowing itself. You cant tell me he isnt getting separation. Maybe its because Dex is good at getting separation on the quick outs that Cassel LOVES to throw? Who knows.

I understand Daboll loves to run the ball..but holy shit. You cant just neglect the passing game. Our offense now is easily just as bad as it was with Palko, except we have Charles in the backfield instead of Battles slow ass. For as much talent as this offense has and to be as bad as we are..its just flat out embarassing.

How many pass plays past 20 yards do we have this season anyways? Thats a stat I'd really love to see compared to the rest of the league.

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Cassel cleared to practice   Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:51 pm

Crennel: Chiefs QB job up for grabs
Associated Press

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Duck, Kansas City: A nasty quarterback controversy may be headed your way.

It's just what the embattled, touchdown-starved Chiefs do not need. But if coach Romeo Crennel returns Brady Quinn to the bench and puts Matt Cassel back under center, a quarterback controversy seems assured.

Williamson: Cassel Still Has Edge

Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn will get equal practice reps during the Chiefs' bye week but ESPN.com's Bill Williamson still thinks Cassel is the favorite to start in Week 8. Blog

Crennel made it clear Tuesday that Quinn and Cassel are now in head-to-head competition.

"What I told them is I'm rotating the quarterbacks. They will get equal reps," Crennel said. "Both of them will get work, and then we'll evaluate it, and then next week we'll get ready for game week, and then we'll make a decision and go from there."

Drawing from bitter experience during four stormy years as head coach in Cleveland, Crennel knows how destructive a QB controversy can be.

"It is distracting," Crennel said. "Everybody's wondering who the guy's going to be, and all those kind of things. Then what happens, some guys on the team kind of favor one guy over another guy. Even though everybody's got a job to do and they will do their job. But it is a distraction."

Cassel missed last week's game at Tampa Bay with a concussion he sustained the week before. That was fine with some fans; many have never warmed to the former New England backup who didn't help his case by throwing nine interceptions through the first five games.

But Cassel was back on the windswept practice field Tuesday and is cleared for non-contact drills. Crennel expects him to be OK by the time the Chiefs (1-5) come back from their bye week and play Oakland (1-4) on Oct. 28.

No matter who's under center, the offense will be looking for its first touchdown in eight quarters.

"They will give (Cassel) another test next week, on game week, to finalize, to make it official," Crennel said. "But I imagine, during these couple of days here, if he does good and there's nothing different on his baseline test, that he'll be cleared for contact."

Cassel was having no trouble moving around.

"I feel great, yeah," he said. "I've passed all the tests and done all that."

Quinn, in his first start in almost three seasons, did OK for the most part during last week's 38-10 loss to the Buccaneers, the Chiefs' fourth blowout defeat. He was 22-for-38 for 180 yards, sticking almost entirely to short- and intermediate-range passes.

Quote:
What I told them is I'm rotating the quarterbacks. They will get equal reps. Both of them will get work, and then we'll evaluate it, and then next week we'll get ready for game week, and then we'll make a decision and go from there.

-- Romeo Crennel, on QBs Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn
He had two interceptions, but at least one was hardly his fault as it bounced off the receiver's thigh, bounced off the defensive back's forearm and bounced off the back of the receiver's elbow before Ronde Barber snatched it out of the air, about an inch from the ground, and returned it for a touchdown.

"He processed the information nicely. He was able to read defenses, get us out of a play, get us into a play," Crennel said.

But how long will it take to chip away the rust? Is it like riding a bicycle, where it comes right back?

"I think that depends on how good of a rider you were to start with," the coach said.

Getting Cassel in a trade with New England was one of the first major moves Scott Pioli made after being named general manager in Kansas City in 2009. Although he had a nice year in 2010, last year was a struggle and this year's bad start includes a league-high 19 turnovers.

When Cassel went down in the fourth quarter of a 9-6 loss to Baltimore two weeks ago, some cheering was heard from the Arrowhead Stadium crowd. It prompted sharp comments from tackle Eric Winston about the hometown crowd and national attention no one wanted.

"All I'll say is I live here year-round in Kansas City and I've had nothing but support from the people in Kansas City and the people that we've met," Cassel said Tuesday. "The fact of the matter is Kansas City is a great place to play and we've got a passionate fan base. I'm sure they're frustrated. I'm frustrated as well. But we're working and doing everything in our power to get it corrected."

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Cassel cleared to practice   Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:53 pm

please start Cassel. at least we know we have a good chance of losing out if we do
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Cassel cleared to practice   Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:06 pm

Brady Quinn named starter. Crennel said there will be no short hook on Quinn.

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Cassel cleared to practice   Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:01 pm

Hopefully it doesnt amount to 7-9 or 8-8. Only way things get turned around is to ship out Pioli at years end and start over with whole new staff and QB. I could see Pioli taking Jantz at 15 with a strong combine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Cassel cleared to practice   Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:24 pm

Chiefs09 wrote:
Hopefully it doesnt amount to 7-9 or 8-8. Only way things get turned around is to ship out Pioli at years end and start over with whole new staff and QB. I could see Pioli taking Jantz at 15 with a strong combine.

So much for the arguement that Pioli would not allow Cassell to be benched. One thing is for sure! Cassell will not be a fucking Chief next season!!! That's the best thing I have heard in I don't know when.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Cassel cleared to practice   Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:26 pm

Chiefs09 wrote:

As long as he don't take Barkley I don't really care. This whole deal has left a bad taste in my mouth over USC QB's. Palmer, Leinart, Cassell, Sanchez, are all fucking terrible!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Cassel cleared to practice   Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:29 pm

Now that we don't have Cassell's salary to deal with. Pay Bowe! Resign Albert and Bowe, cut Cassell which is for sure happening now and it will go along way to smoothing this deal over in house.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Cassel cleared to practice   Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:37 pm

Doesnt sound like Bowe wants to be here. So he doesnt have to sign long term. He can make them pay the 12 mil next year and not be able to franchise him beyond that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Cassel cleared to practice   Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:46 pm

Chiefs09 wrote:
Doesnt sound like Bowe wants to be here. So he doesnt have to sign long term. He can make them pay the 12 mil next year and not be able to franchise him beyond that.

Franchise his ass and keep negotiating. All players want to stay when money talks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Cassel cleared to practice   Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:01 pm

If you are a Bowe guy better hope nobody will match the money. If he has any desire to win a SB I dont see him wanting to stay around and rebuild with a rookie QB. Bowe will have more leverage next year. He will be owed about 12 mil if tagged and its the last time they can I think.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chiefbravebull
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Cassel cleared to practice   Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:34 am

I say we trade Bowe and get what we can for him. Miami would be a great trade partner if they could get him extended before the trade.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Cassel cleared to practice   Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:08 pm

Sometimes you're too close to the subject to remain objective. Whether you're trying to hang a photo or paint a picture, sometimes you have to step back from what you're working on to get the right perspective.

The same thing can happen for all of us as Chiefs fans. We can love the team so much that we become blind to some of the realities about the team. While a losing streak brings out the frustration and hatred on a handful of lightning rod figures, the reality is that the players, coaches and players who earn the praise or fury of fans aren't worthy of either most of the time.

We recently polled some SB Nation colleagues to help us get an Outside Perspective on some key things for the Chiefs. Consider it a roundtable of sorts. We'll check back in with some more questions on Saturday. For now, however, we wanted to focus on one question alone: What is the single biggest problem with the Chiefs?

John Gennaro from Bolts from the Blue, SB Nation's Chargers blog, says it starts with the guy who has already been benched: Matt Cassel.

"It starts with Cassel," writes Gennaro. "A former Chiefs player once told me, 'Matt Cassel has the tools to be a very good QB, but the Chiefs keep asking too much of him and putting him in a position to fail.' I thought Haley did a decent job of building an offense where Cassel was more a piece of the orchestra instead of the conductor, but that has gone flying out the winder with Romeo Crennel. Now everything relies on Cassel and he's showing how he responds to that type of pressure.

"To make a couple of comparisons, I've been saying for a while now that Matt Cassel is Rob Johnson. I still think this is a true. They're both QBs that have all the tools, but hold the ball too long and make too many bad decisions with the entire offense at their fingertips.

"I think Alex Smith is, or at least was, the same type of QB. When Harbaugh got to SF, he simplified the offense for Smith. It became a 1 read offense. 'Check Vernon Davis. Is he covered? Check down to the RB or run the ball.' It took all the thinking out of it. Smith no longer had any reason to hold the ball too long. The offense was a bit predictable and clunky, but it didn't make mistakes and it built Smith's confidence up.

"Now, in year 2, Harbaugh has opened things up a little bit more to see how Smith responds. A similar philosophy needs to be used with Cassel, and it isn't being used."
Levi Damien from Silver and Black Pride, SB Nation's Raiders blog, agreed. He wrote, "Quarterback. Matt Cassel was always the big question mark for this team coming into this season. He has played so bad that the team has actually opted for Brady Quinn. Not good at all."

Interestingly enough, Kirk Davis from the Broncos blog Mile High Report believes the problem isn't even on the field. Without any additional commentary, Davis merely said "Scott Pioli."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Cassel cleared to practice   Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:09 pm

Cassell has the tools to be a very good QB. What the hell is this dude smoking?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Cassel cleared to practice   Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:31 pm

His arm strength is about the same as Drew Brees. So the tools are there persay... he just can't do it.

PostSubject: Re: Cassel cleared to practice   

Back to top Go down

Cassel cleared to practice
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1