ARROWHEAD DRIVE

Best source for up to the minute Chiefs news, updates, rumors, and inside information!

Home  Calendar  FAQ  Usergroups  ArcadeArcade  Register  Log in  
Poll
Who is it?
 Geno Smith
 Luke Joekel
 Domontre Moore
 Jarvis Jones
 Manti Te'o
 Star Lotulelei
 Tyler Wilson
 Other
View results
Latest topics
» Naruto Shippuden Season 5 (English Dub)
Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:05 pm by tamger

» Jordi-nio-polla-dscargar-gratis
Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:23 pm by tamger

» Rihanna Russian Roulette
Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:06 pm by tamger

» Bitdefender Total Security 2015 License Key And Serial Key
Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:19 am by tamger

» Psiphon For 64bit Windows 7
Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:06 am by tamger

Advertisement

Share | 

***Training Camp***

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: ***Training Camp***   Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:12 pm

First topic message reminder :

Lets get this shit rolling

AuthorMessage
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: ***Training Camp***   Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:48 pm

Rac says having tony ugho is helpful because he plays both left and right side #chiefs

Dontari Poe, what does it take to be an effective nose tackle? "You've got to be a man to play on the inside." Awesome

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: ***Training Camp***   Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:48 pm

Chiefs Training Camp: Day 1 Practice Report

by Joel Thorman on Jul 28, 2012 9:04 AM CDT in Chiefs Training Camp

Good morning everyone. Apologies for not getting the KC Chiefs practice report up last night but I didn't get back til late for a few reasons so here I am now.

We've got some pictures, notes and other observations from yesterday's practice. I'll have another picture post coming up soon with professional, high-quality pictures.

Here was yesterday's practice...

Best part of the day: walking onto the field and seeing Jamaal Charles. He happened to be taking a carry in some walk through stuff and burst through the right side of the line and, as Charles does, he finished the run off all the way to the end zone. Fans started cheering him and he waved back. Not a bad scene to see right as you walk onto the practice fields.

Arrowhead Pride @ArrowheadPride
Jamaal Charles: "I feel like I got my mojo back." Doesn't wanna rush himself, play it "smart"

No contact yet. Not until Sunday. The Chiefs were in shells, which basically means shorts and a helmet. Because of that, these are some light observations from practice. It's hard to get a gauge of how good a player does or doesn't look in shorts. But we still have a lot of observations to share.

Hardest part about the first day of camp: getting your numbers right. No. 53 is not Demorrio Williams and No. 39 is not Brandon Carr. We're given rosters at camp so that we can match up the numbers with the players and I found myself using that all the time yesterday. Guess I'm a little rusty.

Branden Albert, missing from morning the walk through, was back in the afternoon. I saw No. 76 out there and thought it must be someone else who shares Albert's number because he was gone. After a roster check, I realized it was indeed Albert.

Jacques Reeves, who was missing from the morning walk through, was missing in the afternoon practice. Romeo Crennel called it a personal issue.

First team offensive line: LT Branden Albert, LG Ryan Lilja, C Rodney Hudson, RG Jon Asamoah, RT Eric Winston.

The first team offensive line is what we expected. Jeff Allen, the rookie, is getting time at both guard and tackle.

The defense:
Defensive line: Tyson Jackson, Anthony Toribio, Glenn Dorsey.
Linebackers: Justin Houston, Jovan Belcher, Derrick Johnson, Tamba Hali
Secondary: Brandon Flowers, Stanford Routt, Eric Berry, Kendrick Lewis

Toribio...your starting nose tackle. For now, at least. Dontari Poe will eventually take over, at least that's my guess, but Toribio's your man right now. It's OK to admit you almost forgot about Toribio being on the team. He came from the Packers a couple years ago and most of his KC time has been on the practice squad. That could change this year.

Safety is a new look this year, too. Abe Elam is back there along with Travis Daniels. With Berry's return, there are a lot of new faces there.

Strangest formation of the day had Tony Moeaki out wide, Kevin Boss in the slot and Dexter McCluster on the other side. It'll get weirder once Wildcat stuff comes out.

Best jersey of the day: Derrick Thomas. I know, one of the most popular jerseys, but a little kid, maybe 4 or 5, was wearing it. Those are some cool parents.

Eric Berry was out there and seemed fine. He was wearing a red sleeve down one of his arms. Looked pretty awesome. Almost but not as cool as the red socks on the Halloween game against the Chargers.

Eric Berry said the conditioning test was easy. "I knew I was going to pass."

27 Jul 12
Retweet
Favorite

Ropati Pitoitua, the free agent from the Jets? That's a huge man. He's listed at 6'8 and 315 pounds and I'd bet he's every pound of it. He's challenging David Mims for biggest man I've ever seen in person.

Second team offensive line: LT Donald Stephenson, LG Jeff Allen, C Rob Bruggeman, RG Daryl Harris, RT David Mims.

Stephenson, Mims, Tony Ugoh...that swing tackle is going to be a competitive position. Any way they can keep four offensive tackles?

Matt Cassel tried to hit Jonathan Baldwin on about a 10-yard comeback route and Routt was quick to jump on it and knock the ball down.

Javier Arenas caught my eye a few times breaking up passes. He was running on the second team at cornerback. We also consider him the favorite for the slot corner job.

Cameron Sheffield looks really big. Maybe it's just been a while but he sure seemed bigger to me. This would be a nice year for him to contribute.

Prediction: Devon Wylie will be a camp superstar. He moves like McCluster, who is also an offseason superstar. I saw him catch one pass on a quick little out route and the second he caught he stopped on a dime and spun up field. Just a minor move that probably wouldn't matter if this were full contact but it really showed his quickness.

Hard to tell apart: Jamaal Charles, Dexter McCluster and DeQuan Menzie. From a distance at least. They all have dreadlocks about the same length.

Those returning kicks: Dexter McCluster, Devon Wylie and Steve Breaston.

Cassel went deep to Moeaki on a play-action and it looked oh-so perfect but it was less than a foot too long and slipped past his fingers. The coaches were working with Moeaki on making hard cuts and selling the route.

Baldwin, lined up wide on the left side of the field, runs a route across the middle and Cassel hits him in traffic. The defender slipped so Baldwin had just the safety to beat for a touchdown. At his size, I like his chances against a safety.

Weather-wise, it was a very pleasant day. High 80s with a little wind. I could live with that weather. Speaking of weather, some of the bleachers have been replaced by....shade tents!

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: ***Training Camp***   Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:55 pm

1st turnover of #ChiefsCamp - McCluster mishandles bubble screen/Cam Sheffield scoops up loose football in backfield

Familiar play: DJ hops in front of a pass but drops the easy pick. Get those WR gloves. 3 minutes ago

Love some of the banter between the offense and defense. Gettin at it with very little contact. 29 minutes ago •

Cassel threads the needle through 3 defenders to hit Breaston in the middle of the field. Big cheers. 30 minutes

Day 1 reps went Cassel, Quinn and Stanzi. Day 2 is now Stanzi and Quinn flip flopped. 34 minutes ago

Jalil Brown with a great pass breakup. Right after Stanzi the manzi found Wylie on a quick slant. 36 minutes ago

Breaston gets wide open against the D and goes in for a TD. Cassel then hits Boss down the seam. Dabolls loving it 39 minutes ago

DJ showing off his quickness closing on Moeaki and batting down a pass from Cassel.

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: ***Training Camp***   Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:55 pm

@kentbabb

So I was all: "Matt, there are a lot of critics out there," and he goes: "You're one of my biggest critics, right?" and I'm like: "Yeah."

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: ***Training Camp***   Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:29 pm

Some Chiefs Camp Day 2 Observations
Part of my day at camp...Day 2 for the Chiefs.

Practice kicked off with the Field Goal team.

Nothing much to take away outside of the fake. Roll out right...intermediate drag and cross, with a backside post working the end zone.

For the next part of practice I checked out the defensive drills.

I checked out the ILB position group. At half speed and no pads, didn't really walk away with much. The drill they ran was a watered down version of the Oklahoma drill. ILB's came down hill, engaged blocker, disengaged to runner...seemed they knew the proper technique...but with no pads.

Position Groupings.

Mike-Belcher, Siler, Campbell...Will-DJ, Greenwood, Leon Williams, and Heyman

Eventually got bored and walked over to where the D-line was practicing.

Romeo and Pleasant were over there and they worked all of the linemen together initially. They were working a two gap drill similar to linebackers where they slow-played pressure and disengaged. Then the D-line broke up into positions.

Position Groupings.

LE-Jackson, Gordon, Ropati Pitoitua...RE-Dorsey, Poe, Bailey, Bair...NT-Toribio, Powe.

Instant observation...Pitoitua, Jerome Long, Ethan Johnson had a hard time through the drills...think they are a ways behind the rest of the group.

Notes on the D-line.

Powe displayed great leverage and I think he is coming along quickly...may be a factor in the rotation.

Dorsey is by far the most polished from a technical standpoint...hands, leverage, and footwork were great.

Dontari Poe-not displaying great leverage...bends at waste and doesn't drive through hips...still showed great upper body strength. But he's legit, just behind on the technique...after watching him I wouldn't be concerned.

Gordon/Toribio-both are similar...great upper body power, neither have the best feet or leverage...but stout enough.

The next drill the d-line ran was a recognition one.

They had two offensive linemen in front of them and had to read and react to their steps...appeared that most were making the correct reads so that is certainly a positive.

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: ***Training Camp***   Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:53 pm

#Chiefs Stanzi-worked the sidelines on his reads...more aggressive than Cassel...playmaker but also made two poor choices...best looking QB.

@TheFilmRoom
@bkissel7 I think Wylie is legit...really like him...beat Jalil Brown on a slant and it wasn't close.

@TheFilmRoom
#Chiefs Allen Bailey isn't looking like a 3-down candidate. His feet are too fast...still doesn't have great balance laterally.

@TheFilmRoom
#Chiefs Cassel 3 big plays came on the exact same throw...backside post working between cover 2 over Studie/Gabe Miller...easy throws.

@TheFilmRoom
#Chiefs Brady Quinn physically is all you would want in a QB...quick with reads, beautiful ball...but I never know where the ball ends up.

@TheFilmRoom
It's just shorts, but one day impression...Chiefs need to lock Glenn Dorsey up...technically he is on another level...shouldn't cost much.

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: ***Training Camp***   Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:44 pm

Good stuff Rust! Glad to read about some football again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: ***Training Camp***   Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:22 pm

Former ravens linebacker edgar jones works out for the chiefs today per a league source

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: ***Training Camp***   Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:22 pm

Good morning everyone. I'm here with another practice report from Kansas City Chiefs training camp.

Yesterday's practice was a good one. Not too hot and some competitive team action. The best part of these practices, and arguably the only area where you can get actual insight, is the team portion stuff, going 11-on-11 or even 7-on-7. These practices are "no contact" but that's a relative term when you're dealing with guys this size.

I'll be adding more photos from camp to our Facebook page. Check out our Twitter page for more notes.

You can find the practice report after the jump. I'll be in the comments if you have any questions.

No Justin Houston at Saturday's practice and we're not really sure why. Romeo Crennel will be speaking today which is the first time he'll have been asked about it. Jacques Reeves was also missing, but Crennel already talked about his absence for personal issues.

With Houston out, Andy Studebaker stepped in at outside linebacker opposite Tamba Hali.
Ricky Stanzi hits Copper 40 yards down field. Was rolling out to his right. Now a competitive 11 on 11

28 Jul 12
Retweet
Favorite

Hilarious fan watching Dontari Poe run drills. Every time Poe would hit the sled, or any other simple drill, the fan would yell "Hit it Poe!" and "Yeah, Poe, get it baby!" We talkin' bout practice?

Here's a video shot by a fan out there that shows the drill they're running in the picture above.

Brandon Bair looks sharp. Granted, it's just individual drills but he looks big and strong. As an undrafted free agent you probably don't think much of him. But then you realize the Chiefs kept him on the active roster all year. That should tell you how they feel about him.

Kyle McCarthy went down with an injury. The Chiefs were running 11-on-11 and the ball went to his side of the field. I didn't see specifically what happened but he went down clutching his leg. Injuries in non contact, or little contact situations like that always worry me. He was helped off the field, didn't put weight on his legs and then carted off. I saw an SUV on the way up to camp that had Notre Dame stickers all over it, and a ND license plate. Hoping that wasn't his family who saw that (if it's something bad).

A number of guys got work in kick returns including Javier Arenas, Devon Wylie and Dexter McCluster. Those are your main three but Shaun Draughn and Mikail Baker also got back there one time.

Matt Szymanski was doing the kicking in some of these special teams drills. He's an undrafted free agent the Chiefs picked up this year. There's nothing wrong with Ryan Succop -- they just like to have two kickers in camp.

Branden Albert said after practice he doesn't know if the Chiefs will be a good offensive line until they line up in Week 1. Eric Winston said there's no reason they shouldn't be a good offensive line. Frankly, they should be one of the better lines in the league.

While most of the defense was on the sidelines during special teams drills, Tamba Hali and Tyson Jackson were off to the side working together. You know Tamba's hand-drill-thing he does with Master Joe Kim? He was doing the same with Jackson.

Glenn Dorsey says he can do things to help Dontari Poe but at the end of the day it's about him performing and playing with the right technique. He says the defensive line isn't just about Poe, either. It's about playing as one unit along with Tyson Jackson.

Derrick Johnson is so athletic. It's not a special play or anything but when you see him cross the field so quickly, and then realize how long he is and what his range is, you start to understand why this guy was in the Pro Bowl. Matt Cassel was trying to hit Tony Moeaki on a little hook, a simple play. But DJ hopped in there and knocked it down.

Also, seen this before: DJ makes athletic move to get in front of a pass but drops the pick! Where are those receiver gloves?

Cassel threads the needle through three different defenders to hit Steve Breaston in the middle of the field. The fans went crazy cheering on that one. On the next play, Cassel found Kevin Boss down the seam for what would've been a 20-yard gain. That tight end in the seam is what I want to see a lot this year.
Breaston gets wide open against the D and goes in for a TD. Cassel then hits Boss down the seam. Dabolls loving it

28 Jul 12
Retweet
Favorite

Steve Breaston wears black sleeves and socks. Not sure how he does it. #chiefs

28 Jul 12
Retweet
Favorite

I said it on Friday, saying it again today: Devon Wylie is quick as hell. Just a simple slant really shows it off.
Jalil Brown with a great pass breakup. Right after Stanzi the manzi found Wylie on a quick slant.

28 Jul 12
Retweet
Favorite

Remember Steve Maneri? He was the offensive tackle who turned tight end for the Chiefs. I gotta say, he's somewhat impressive. He's got offensive tackle size but he can run. Interesting player.

Love some of the banter between the offense and defense. Gettin at it with very little contact.

28 Jul 12
Retweet
Favorite

The quarterback reps were split up today. It went Cassel, Ricky Stanzi and then Brady Quinn. On Friday, Quinn was ahead of Stanzi, so it looks like they're going to rotate.

Josh Bellamy, the undrafted free agent receiver, drew some applause with a diving catch in practice. It was on the opposite side of the field from where I was standing so I didn't get a great angle on it but it appeared he stayed in bounds diving to catch the ball.

Travis Daniels was at safety for most of the time but also saw some time as a backup cornerback.

I haven't talked to him yet but Ropati Pitoitua may be the biggest human I've seen.

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: ***Training Camp***   Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:30 pm

#Chiefs are holding Berry, Lewis and Charles out of full team drills today. Elam and Menzie are 1st team safeties

The biggest lightning rod in Kansas City sports continues to be Chiefs QB Matt Cassel, but after today's performance the discussion should turn to the lack of pressure on Cassel coming from his two back-ups. Ricky Stanzi and Brady Quinn struggled mightily in Saturday's afternoon practice. Cassel was sharp and showed why he is the unquestioned starter under center entering 2012. Stanzi showed his age during drills that pitted the QBs, RBs and WRs up against the linebackers and secondary. The former Iowa signal caller didn't show the ability to look off defenders, leading to his receivers being blanketed by the defense. Brady Quinn accuracy and touch was off on this particular afternoon. Whether it was over-throwing receivers or standing in the pocket too long, his day was one to forget.

Linebacker Justin Houston was nowhere to be found, and the speculation is he was out ill. Andy Studebaker ran with the first team defense in his absence. Staying on the defensive side of the ball, coach Romeo Crennel wasn't taking it easy on his lineman and secondary personal in the second day of practice. The first-year head coach let Stanford Routt know his feet have to be quicker if he plans on keeping his role as the starting cornerback opposite Brandon Flowers. Despite riding his players hard early in camp, Glenn Dorsey and Dexter McCluster had nothing but positive things to say about the man at the helm of the 2012 Chiefs. Both players praising Crennel's ability to get the best of them without demeaning words or incessant yelling, a far cry from the 2011 Chiefs under Todd Haley.

Sunday's practice will be the first time we see the team in pads. 3:20 start and open to the public.

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: ***Training Camp***   Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:40 pm

If Cyrus Gray can run like he is right now this season, the @kcchiefs will have 3 threats from the backfield. #Chiefs

Dontari quick hustle into the backfield. Forced Quinn into an early and unsuccessful throw. #ChiefsCamp

#Chiefs Cyrus Gray impressed today...had about 3 cutbacks that went for big gains. Great fit with the zone blocking scheme.

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: ***Training Camp***   Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:41 pm

Chiefs Training Camp Notebook Presented by Heartland Health

St. Joseph – The first day of pads presented a big opportunity, and a big task, for rookie offensive lineman Donald Stephenson.

Starting left tackle Branden Albert was ineligible to participate in Sunday’s full-padded practice because of an acclimation clause in the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, so Albert’s starting reps went to Kansas City’s third-round draft pick.

“(Albert) came a day late to training camp he needs a three-day acclimation period and that is not over until tomorrow,” head coach Romeo Crennel explained prior to Sunday’s practice. “He will be in pads tomorrow, but not today.”

So there was Stephenson, protecting Matt Cassel’s blind side while Albert worked with strength and conditioning coaches on a side field. Tempo increased, contact escalated and Pro Bowl pass rusher Tamba Hali consistently challenged the rookie at the line of scrimmage.

Stephenson definitely represented a rookie being thrown into the fire.

“It was crazy,” said Stephenson. “I was a big fan of Tamba before I came here and going against him is going to make me a lot better. He’s a heck of a player and you have to be alert on every snap, know what you’re doing and do it with perfect technique or he’ll make you look bad.”

Stephenson grew up a Chiefs fan as he worked his way up the Kansas City high school ranks to earn a scholarship at Oklahoma. His one-on-one battles with Hali saw the veteran get into the backfield several times, but Stephenson recorded his fair share of stalemates as well.

“I really had to pick up my pace and get with it because there were a lot of guys flying around,” Stephenson said. “It was the first day of pads and the defense was excited about that and we were too. So we had a lot of hats flying around out there today.”

Veteran Tony Ugoh, signed as a free agent on July 26th, worked behind Stephenson as he continues to get acquainted with the Chiefs playbook. Second-year prospect David Mims worked with the second-team offense opposite Ugoh.

Stephenson knows practices like these are important opportunities to show his on-field development. First-team reps come at a premium with a pair of established starters on the bookends of Kansas City’s offensive line.

“Right now I’m focused on getting myself better,” Stephenson said. “If down the road I’m good enough to be put into a (playing) situation, I’ll gladly take it. But right now I’m focused on being a rookie and that’s a tough enough job.”

Bad News for McCarthy

It didn’t look good when reserve safety Kyle McCarthy was carted off the field midway through Saturday’s practice. On Sunday, Romeo Crennel confirmed what most who witnessed McCarthy’s exit were anticipating.

“His knee doesn’t look good,” Crennel said. “We’ll have to let the swelling go down and see where it leads us, but it’s one of those things in football that happens and that you have to deal with.”

McCarthy suffered the injury on the sidelines when a player rolled into his knee. Trainers helped him into a cart and took him into the locker room for further testing. The swelling around McCarthy’s knee was noticeable as he exited the practice field, prompting polite applause from many fans sitting behind the south end zone.

“He is a young man who has been working hard, a smart guy who had picked up the defense,” Crennel said. “But like I said, it doesn’t look good for him.

McCarthy signed with the Chiefs in February after spending his first two NFL seasons with the Broncos. He saw action in 12 games for Denver from 2010-11, appearing primarily on special teams.

In addition to absence of McCarthy and Albert, other players missing Sunday’s practice included defensive back Jacques Reeves (personal) and wide receiver Dwayne Bowe (contract). Rookie fullback Taylor Gentry was at practice, but did not participate in drills.

Outside linebacker Justin Houston returned to practice after missing yesterday’s session and Sunday morning’s walkthrough with a stomach illness.

Take Five: Quick-Hitters from Sunday’s Practice

1) Dontari Poe’s first contact came against Lucas Patterson in o-line/d-line drills matching nose tackles head-up over center with two guards providing support. Most noticeable was Poe’s impressive upper-body strength while occupying multiple blockers.

2) Derrick Johnson notched the first tackle of camp as he chased down running back Shaun Draughn on a stretch play off right tackle. Johnson set a franchise single-season tackle record last season with 179 stops according to coach’s film.

3) Numerous players visited the training tent to cool off from the triple-digit heat in St. Joe. Most returned to the field after a brief cool-down period.

4) Brandon Flowers recorded the first interception of training camp when he jumped a Brady Quinn pass intended for rookie Devon Wylie. Flowers drew a loud crowd reaction as he raced for to the end zone in 7-on-7 work. Flowers’ interception was impressive, though Javier Arenas bested the effort with a diving INT as Matt Cassel tried to hit Dexter McCluster on a shallow out.

5) Rodney Hudson appeared to have a nice day in one-on-one competition between the offensive and defensive line. On the opposite field, rookie Junior Hemingway hauled in several receptions including a circus grab that prompted some fans to give a standing ovation during 7-on-7 drills.

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: ***Training Camp***   Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:32 pm

Chiefs Training Camp: Day 3 Practice Report

by Joel Thorman on Jul 30, 2012 7:38 AM CDT in Chiefs Training Camp
18 comments
Email
Print

Kansas City Chiefs training camp continued on Sunday in what was the hottest day of camp so far. The temperatures neared 100 degrees and the players were out on the field at Missouri Western State University for a little over two hours.
There were no big injuries or missing players from Sunday's practice. The big highlight is that it was the first day of pads, which you could immediately tell. The sounds of pads crashing into each other and the general rise in intensity was visible. It was good to see.
AP reader Flavian79 attended practice and wrote up his report. Check that out.
Check out our Twitter page for more practice notes and our Facebook page for more photos.
Full practice report is after the jump.

Almost forgot the Chiefs were in pads until 11 on 11 just started. Pretty intense, guys gettin into it. Been a while.

29 Jul 12
Retweet
Favorite

The offensive line drills is when you could first notice the pads. The offensive and defensive linemen barreling into each other, players falling over, running backs hitting the hole...felt good to see that again. It's been too long football!
Clark Hunt was at practice, which is actually the third day he's been here. Hunt arrived on Thursday when the rest of the team did, stayed on Friday and then returned once again on Sunday.
Best/strangest sign at Sunday's camp: "Matt Cassel let the dogs out!" I have no idea.
The defense does a drill right in front of where the media sits so you can hear how high energy Romeo Crennel is. Everyday he says, "Sing me a tune, a winning tune!"
Justin Houston returned to practice. He was sick yesterday and missed practice but returned on Sunday.

It's 100 degrees at camp and I'm exhausted just sitting there watching the players. I can't imagine what it would be like for the tight ends who had to run through a blocking drill against the linebackers. At 100 degrees and an hour into practice, the absolute last thing I want to do is try and block Tamba Hali.
This is a great umbrella/tent from a fan who knows what's up.

Matt Szymanski is the other kicker at camp and I saw him working on some punts and kickoffs as well. With an extra kicker, this camp can't be very difficult for Ryan Succop.
The quarterbacks were throwing some routes to the receivers while the cornerbacks covered the receivers. On one play, Matt Cassel went deep to Jon Baldwin, right around the front right corner of the end zone. Eric Berry was covering and stayed with him step-for-step and knocked the ball away. Berry is just so good. He could play any position in the secondary, including corner.
The Chiefs also practiced punts from their own one yard line, which happened to be right in front of where I was sitting. Pretty incredible view of Dustin Colquitt trying to get the punt off. I have no idea how he does that.
Moving to special teams....working on punt team. Breaston and McCluster are deep.

29 Jul 12
Retweet
Favorite

I also have no idea how kick and punt returners do it. Sitting down at camp, you can see how fast-paced everything is and you have to not only catch a ball that's rotating in funny ways, but catch a ball that's kicked what seems like a mile in the air. And then you have to catch the ball and make a move while you have 11 guys running full speed at you. I couldn't do it.
Brandon Flowers was wearing all red sleeves, which looked pretty awesome. Reminded me of the red socks in the Halloween game.
Brian Daboll's a high energy guy, getting on players when need be. He's no Charlie Weis but you hear the occasional adult word out of him.

We sit in a media tent, which provides some shade, but I like to move around to get a better view of things sometimes. I went down to the field to check out the offense running some 7-on-7 drills and happened to pick the perfect spot. Right as I got down there, I see Brady Quinn trying to hit Devon Wylie on a quick out pattern right in front of me. That left me the perfect seat to see Flowers show how freakin' quick he is and step in front of the pass and take it back for six. That made the crowd go crazy.

Brandon Flowers just picked off a pass intended for Wylie. Yes, it was for six. Crowd was cheering him on. So fast

29 Jul 12
Retweet
Favorite

KU fans, got a good Tim Biere sequence for you. Biere dropped a simple pass about seven or eight yards away. Just flubbed it. The kinda drop you can't have as an undrafted free agent. But to his credit, on the very next play he hauled in a diving catch. The highs and lows of an undrafted free agent.
Alex Tanney taking some reps...nice pass to Markshausen on a crossing route, lots of room to run.

29 Jul 12
Retweet
Favorite

Tanney and Stanzi were both 2 for 2 in that last 11 on 11. Short passes though.

29 Jul 12
Retweet
Favorite

Steve Breaston had a nice sliding catch. It looked like Cassel's pass down the sideline was a little short causing Breaston to slow down but it ended up working out as the ball fell right in between the cornerback and the safety.
I started to see the first signs of taking it easy on some of the ACL crew. Berry and Kendrick Lewis sat out a few reps during 11-on-11 work as did Jamaal Charles. Abe Elam was stepping in for Berry and Shaun Draughn took a few reps from Charles.

In 11-on-11 work, Houston would've had a sack on Cassel if he could hit him.
Branden Albert is out here, listening to coaches with the linemen. Not in pads.

29 Jul 12
Retweet
Favorite

Donald Stephenson was running left tackle with Branden Albert out.
Speaking of Albert, he was out because of a new NFL rule which says you need to be in camp for three days before putting pads on. Albert missed the first day so he couldn't put pads on today. He spent his day in the conditioning area, riding the exercise bike.
Javier Arenas picked off a pass intended for Dexter McCluster in the flat. It looked like he got to the ball at the same time as McCluster and just ripped it away from him. You gotta win in a one-on-one situation, as Herm Edwards said in HBO's Hard Knocks a few years ago.
Arenas picks off Cassel. Pass intended for DMC but Arenas ripped it away, defense is going crazy

29 Jul 12
Retweet
Favorite

Cassel and Rodney Hudson screwed up a snap and fumbled the ball. Cassel picked it up quickly and went deep -- incomplete.
Jim Zorn rides a bike after practice. This isn't a very good shot because he was too fast -- Yes, I was running with my phone trying to take a picture of Zorn on a bike -- but check it out:

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: ***Training Camp***   Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:33 pm

Training Camp Observations- Sunday 7/29

Tiny by flavian79 on Jul 29, 2012 11:52 PM CDT

Hey there Chiefs fans. Longtime AP member, first time poster. I took some notes from today's first full practice in pads, and let me tell you the heat was no joke today. Some interesting tidbits from practice and updates on the ACL crew after the jump.

Star-divide

1. Jamaal Charles, Eric Berry, and Tony Moeaki participated in practice. Seemed like the chiefs staff took it a bit easier on Charles and Moeaki when in came to contact drills.

2. Jeff Allen will surpass Lilja sooner rather than later. -Lilja seemed to struggle today during drills, Allen was beasting dudes the few times I saw him in drills. I see why some pundants mentioned him possibly starting right away.

3. Eric Berry looked amazing. He broke up a long pass down the sideline when it appeared the WR had a yard on him. His closing speed is incredible. He was also fully out during contact drills with the 1's.

4. Peyton Hillis ran with the 1's today and had some real good runs in scrimmage. One would have gone for 25+ .I have heard some questions about his motor, I would say he will be just fine. He was destroying some blocking bags today. Speed and Bleed are going to be quite the tandem this year.

5. Stanzi was the best quarterback on the field today. Crisper passes, better accuracy. I want to see him with the 1's.

6. Stanford Routt may take some time to get adjusted to the flow of our defense. He gave up a few passes today. Flowers looked good.

7. Poe looked good during OL-DL drills, his legs look like tree stumps. He had a few real good penetrations in drills(thats what she said?). TJax was AWESOME today, great motor, great mean streak. Dorsey was NOT awesome, looked slow and lethargic, and was getting beat up by the OL 2's. Maybe Jeff Allen?

8. Dropped balls was a BIG problem today with chiefs receivers, though a few of the balls were inaccurate(Cassel)

9. I like Dex in the slot, problem is.. I really liked Wylie in the slot after today.

10. Arenas had a good pick off Cassel in scrimmage. I really think this Defense is going to be special this year. Houston made it look like the last 5 weeks last year were not a fluke. He was impressive.

Most of the players looked miserable in the heat today but the tempo was pretty good all day and the intensity of our coaches did not waver especially Daboll(was cracking up when he was cussing out Cyrus Gray). If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. I will be going up on Tues night as well.

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: ***Training Camp***   Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:41 pm

Gorgeous 80yd bomb from Cassel2Baldwin to open practice. TDKC!

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: ***Training Camp***   Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:40 pm

Lance Twidwell‏@Lance_THESPOKEN

Going straight to the kicking drill. Told you this regime take this stuff seriously. #Chiefs

Bob Fescoe‏@bobfescoe

Good to see branden Albert in pads today #chiefs

Stanzi City Chiefs‏@StanziCity

Ricky Stanzi already warming up on field before practice officially begins. #GBNB http://twitter.com/StanziCity/status...265664/photo/1

Jason Madson‏@Jason_Madson

Poe and Bailey are front 2 in sub package in walk thru.

Stanzi in with the 2nd team to start.

Zorn is confusing the hell out of the QBs in this drill. Can't figure out his numbering system.

Even on down, slow paced plays, the special teams is focused. Good sign for sure.

Adam Teicher‏@adamteicher

Afternoon practice has started. Albert is back in pads. No brandon siler. Sore ankle

Team as a whole running a lap. The crowd rejoices!

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: ***Training Camp***   Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:41 pm

Baldwin showing some much needed fire after making a routine catch in the endzone. Crowd goes nuts of course.

Adam Teicher‏@adamteicher

Tony Ugoh has left the #Chiefs. He retired

Bob Fescoe‏@bobfescoe

No reason given for retirement but now kc is down depth at o line #chiefs

Baldwin could be a fun player to watch this year. If he scores a touchdown, look for Mr. Excitement to come out.

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: ***Training Camp***   Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:50 pm

It sucks when Cassel and Stanzi throw at the same time. It makes Cassels passes look even slower.

Junior Heminway hobbling to the trainers tent.

Wiley runs a great route, but tries to be flashy. BOTH HANDS!!!

Devon Wylie just broke Daboll's ankles when he attempted to cover him

Theres no secret this fanbase loves them some Baldwin. They wanna see him emerge.

Bob Fescoe‏@bobfescoe

Cassel just hit Baldwin on a long pattern down the sideline

Stanzi threading the deep pass. Shocker? Nahhh...

DMC running another sharp route. Love the catch and feet to finish it!

Yes, but very limited amount. More on the big 3. RT "@2_Ring_Circus: Hey @Lance_THESPOKEN, is Alex Tanney still around? Seen him throw yet?"

n Madson‏@Jason_Madson

WR coach just yelled at Wylie after a one handed attempt: "None of that one handed bull shit, get em both up there"

Got a good shot of Jim Bob Cooter covering Breaston.

Bob Fescoe‏@bobfescoe

Jr Hemingway being carted off

So far, Stanzi has the edge.

Bob Fescoe‏@bobfescoe

Cyrus gray just did a nice job taking on the rush.

@ericwinston showing the youngins how he became a Pro Bowler. #Chiefs

Bob Fescoe‏@bobfescoe

Cassel just hit Droughn on a sweet side line pass over derrick Johnso

ance Twidwell‏@Lance_THESPOKEN

When Cassel goes a strong throw, he tends to wind up still. Quicker than last season, but still pretty slow and readable.

Remember what I said about the DBs? Yea, it was obvious they were resting to do what theyre doing right now.

TJ Carpenter‏@TJCarpenterWHB

Routt was a huge addition. Just broke up a great pass from.Quinn to.Baldwin. stripped the ball right out.

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: ***Training Camp***   Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:50 pm

Josh Looney‏@JoshLooney

Cassel and Jon Baldwin really seem to be developing a connection. Another big play. Trained 2gether in offseason. Solid OTAs

Hesitation by Stanzi equals to a deflection.

Stanzi keeps throwing into traffic. I guess that's an improvement over the ground.

Another awesome throw from Stanzi dropped. Uhhh ohhhh

Bob Fescoe‏@bobfescoe

Jeremy horne w a sweet drop

And Jeremy Horne drops a TD pass. No luck for stanzi.

Horne with the drop on a long td pass from stanzi. Rough start for Stanzi today.

Quinn bow in for the @kcchiefs

One thing I do like about Quinn, hes confident

Mod Lord
Mod Lord

PostSubject: Re: ***Training Camp***   Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:58 pm

Sounds like Stanzi had a great day besides that last pick to Jalil Brown. Offense sounded like it was clicking today for the most part. Baldwin is really coming to his own and turning into a monster.

Mod Lord
Mod Lord

PostSubject: Re: ***Training Camp***   Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:59 pm

Damn, that sucks about Ugoh.. I was excited to have some real experience on this O-line. I thought he would of been a solid swing tackle.

Mod Lord
Mod Lord

PostSubject: Re: ***Training Camp***   Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:06 pm

Losing Ugoh isnt too big of a loss honestly. Stephenson has had a better camp at Tackle than alot of people expected so far. Not to mention theyre training Jeff Allen to play both Guard and Tackle. We'll be fine.

Mod Lord
Mod Lord

PostSubject: Re: ***Training Camp***   Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:16 pm

Also sucks to see Hemingway go down with a leg injury. I was rooting for him to make the roster. Also sounds like Josh Bellamy sounds like he's got a good shot at making the roster. Read alot of positive things from the camp reports about him.

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: ***Training Camp***   Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:40 pm

Ugoh retiring is strange, especially after practicing this morning. Poor sport that a rookie is beating him out maybe? They might as well just have Allen focus at OG, because hes replacing Lilja sooner than later.

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: ***Training Camp***   Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:23 pm

Nick Jacobs ‏@Jacobs71
Romeo also said that Routt is still learning their scheme and playing the "Chiefs Way"

2m Nick Jacobs ‏@Jacobs71
Romeo stated this morning that Dontari will contribute right away on 3rd down. And still needs work in their scheme on 1st and 2nd.

3m Nick Jacobs ‏@Jacobs71
Stanzi has this timer in his head. Once his back foot plants. He throws. Very decisive. #ChiefsCamp

4m Nick Jacobs ‏@Jacobs71
If you get up to camp, the three things I want you to see. Watch Stanzi's back foot in his 3 and 5 step drops as soon as it hits. He throws.

Nick Jacobs ‏@Jacobs71
I have rarely seen Dexter McCluster in the backfield. He is their slot receiver and majority of reps all OTA/MC/TC have been at WR.

3m Nick Jacobs ‏@Jacobs71
Since may, Routt has such good timing on breaking up the underneath/slants/comeback routes. #ChiefsCamp

4m Nick Jacobs ‏@Jacobs71
A lot more drops today then in previous practices. Half of them were players letting the ball get into the body and not completely extending

6m Nick Jacobs ‏@Jacobs71
Hillis, Charles, Gray, and Draughn all brought it today. KC will have tough decision between Gray and Draughn. #ChiefsCamp

9m Nick Jacobs ‏@Jacobs71
Overall impressions. The running backs and @Jon__Baldwin we're the stars of the show today. #ChiefsCamp

13m Nick Jacobs ‏@Jacobs71
Stanzi gets picked by Jalil Brown while rolling out to the right on the run. #ChiefsCamp

14m Nick Jacobs ‏@Jacobs71
Stanzi goes deep on 1st play. Overthrows Chandler Williams on go route. #ChiefsCamp

14m Nick Jacobs ‏@Jacobs71
Cassel impressive strike to McCluster on out route. He gets the 1st and out of bounds. To stop clock for FG. #ChiefsCamp

15m Nick Jacobs ‏@Jacobs71
Elam with the breakup of cassel on slant. #ChiefsCamp

15m Nick Jacobs ‏@Jacobs71
Quinn with the over thrown down the middle. Flowers takes it back for pick six. #ChiefsCamp

16m Nick Jacobs ‏@Jacobs71
Stanzi with a a great ball to copper. Soon as the back foot hit he let it fly. Nice over the shoulder catch. #ChiefsCamp

16m Nick Jacobs ‏@Jacobs71
Cassel play action in team to Breaston forced throw. Broken up. #ChiefsCamp

17m Nick Jacobs ‏@Jacobs71
Quinn to Draughn on the angle route. Draughn out runs everyone. #ChiefsCamp

17m Nick Jacobs ‏@Jacobs71
Hillis with a nice cutback. Dequan Menzie gets lower. Hillis delivers blow. Menzie stands him up. #ChiefsCamp

18m Nick Jacobs ‏@Jacobs71
Stanzi nice mobility on the boot. Accurate pass to Hillis on the run. #ChiefsCamp

Charles with a big run. Nice burst through the hole. #ChiefsCamp

Cassel with an impressive deep ball to Baldwin. Fans huge cheers. #ChiefsCamp

19m Nick Jacobs ‏@Jacobs71
Amon Gordon goes into tent during team. #ChiefsCamp

19m Nick Jacobs ‏@Jacobs71
Wylie lets the ball get into his body on Quinn throw. Drop. #ChiefsCamp

20m Nick Jacobs ‏@Jacobs71
Quinn nice ball down the middle to Tim Biere. Big Gain. Biere had LB beat by 2 steps. #ChiefsCamp

Stanzi to Zeke on the in route. Solid gain. #ChiefsCamp

Stanzi with the perfect strike to Horne. Horne drops the ball otherwise had a TD.

21m Nick Jacobs ‏@Jacobs71
Stanzi to Horne. Horne drops the comeback route. Didn't extend arms. #ChiefsCamp

22m Nick Jacobs ‏@Jacobs71
Stanzi down the seam to wide open Jake O'Connell. Drops the ball. #ChiefsCamp

22m Nick Jacobs ‏@Jacobs71
Stanzi low and down in the dirt on drag. #ChiefsCamp

23m Nick Jacobs ‏@Jacobs71
Cassel with a deep strike to Baldwin over the top. Baldwin FANTASTIC catch. #ChiefsCamp

Cassel to McCluster on the drag for big gain. #ChiefsCamp

Stanford Routt breaks up the Cassel throw slant route. #ChiefsCamp

Cassel with a good deep ball over the middle to wide open McCluster in 7 on 7. #ChiefsCamp

24m Nick Jacobs ‏@Jacobs71
Cassel throwing behind boss. Good adjustment to make grab. #ChiefsCamp

25m Nick Jacobs ‏@Jacobs71
Daboll very animated and pushing his QBs/WRs/RBs for perfection. #ChiefsCamp

25m Nick Jacobs ‏@Jacobs71
Eric Winston working with David Mims on how to get his arms properly locked into defender. #ChiefsCamp

26m Nick Jacobs ‏@Jacobs71
Brian Daboll showing McCluster the route he wants run by running it himself. #ChiefsCamp

Shane Bannon got blown by in 1 on 1 blocking drill. #ChiefsCamp

Dontari Poe held his ground in 2 on 1 drill making sure the Guard didn't get 2nd level. #ChiefsCamp

27m Nick Jacobs ‏@Jacobs71
Kevin Boss struggled against Justin Houston in 1 on 1 blocking drill. He got beat to the outside. To high. #ChiefsCamp

27m Nick Jacobs ‏@Jacobs71
Shaun Draughn with an impressive catch in 1 on 1. #ChiefsCamp
Expand

PostSubject: Re: ***Training Camp***   

Back to top Go down

***Training Camp***
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next