ARROWHEAD DRIVE

Best source for up to the minute Chiefs news, updates, rumors, and inside information!

Home  Calendar  FAQ  Usergroups  ArcadeArcade  Register  Log in  
Poll
Who is it?
 Geno Smith
 Luke Joekel
 Domontre Moore
 Jarvis Jones
 Manti Te'o
 Star Lotulelei
 Tyler Wilson
 Other
View results
Latest topics
» Naruto Shippuden Season 5 (English Dub)
Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:05 pm by tamger

» Jordi-nio-polla-dscargar-gratis
Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:23 pm by tamger

» Rihanna Russian Roulette
Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:06 pm by tamger

» Bitdefender Total Security 2015 License Key And Serial Key
Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:19 am by tamger

» Psiphon For 64bit Windows 7
Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:06 am by tamger

Advertisement

Share | 

2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:38 pm

First topic message reminder :

Latest Updates On The Chiefs 2012 NFL Draft Interests

by Chris Thorman on Mar 19, 2012 6:18 PM CDT in NFL Draft 2012

Amidst the rather busy 2012 NFL free agency talk, we have for you the second update to the Kansas City Chiefs draft interests chart of the year.

We've added two players since our last update two weeks ago - Cal DT Vaughn Meatoga and Wisconsin G Kevin Zeitler. The Chiefs checked out both players at their respective college's Pro Days. Chiefs defensive line coach Anthony Pleasant had dinner with Meatoga in California earlier this month and a rep for the Chiefs helped run Zeitler's workout in Wisconsin. The Chiefs are also reportedly working out Western Michigan WR Jordan White recently as well.

Here's the list of Pro Days the Chiefs have reportedly been in attendance at: Wisconsin, Cal, Colorado, Colorado St. Cincinnati, Louisville, Rhode Island, Illinois and Hawaii.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

AuthorMessage
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:14 am

chiefbravebull wrote:
i like mcnutt he could develop and maybe the future number 2 guy after bowe is gone. yes i think this is bowes last year here. hope im wrong though!

If they don't get him done by July 16, then I think you could be right.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:37 am

RustShack wrote:
Draft can't get here soon enough. Also I haven't been on much lately because my laptop got spilled on so I'm computerless.

That has to suck monkey nuts! Liquids don't do Laptops any good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:44 am

Tannehill could be dark horse pick for the Chiefs

By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

As any long-suffering Kansas City football fan knows, the Chiefs generally have looked another way when it comes to the possibility of drafting a quarterback in the first round. Just considering recent years, they passed twice on the chance to get Joe Flacco in 2008, opting instead for linemen Glenn Dorsey and Branden Albert.

The following season, they could have drafted Mark Sanchez, or a local kid, Josh Freeman, but went for another lineman, Tyson Jackson.

The Chiefs could find themselves at another franchise crossroads of sorts this year. Picking 11th in the first round, they could have a shot at another tantalizing quarterback prospect, Ryan Tannehill of Texas A&M.

It’s uncertain whether Tannehill will be available to the Chiefs. He has to pass through quarterback-needy teams in Cleveland at the fourth pick and Miami at No. 8. There’s also the possibility a team in line behind the Chiefs, possibly Seattle, could trade up in order to draft Tannehill.

So it’s far from a sure thing. But if Tannehill is sitting there at 11, the Chiefs just might break from tradition and pick a quarterback in the first round. That's something the franchise hasn't done since selecting Todd Blackledge seventh overall in 1983.

Their situation has changed dramatically since 2008, when their roster was aging and so pocked with holes that it seemed almost wasteful to draft a quarterback. In 2009, the Chiefs had just traded for Matt Cassel and were committed to him as their starter.

In 2012, they are entering a draft with as close to a fully stocked roster as they’ve had in many years. The Chiefs could use upgrades at some positions, but they could line up and play a game today — and be competitive — with the players they have.

The Chiefs have Cassel, Brady Quinn and Ricky Stanzi at quarterback, making it one of the thinnest positions on their roster. Cassel missed the last half of last season because of a broken hand and is still trying to establish himself as a dependable NFL starter. Quinn is a former first-round pick, but the Broncos thought so little of him that he didn’t play in a game in his two seasons in Denver. Stanzi was a fifth-round draft pick last year and didn’t play as a rookie.

Because their roster is so complete, the Chiefs believe they have built a team that can reasonably compete for the AFC West championship for the foreseeable future. If that vision comes true, they won’t be in position again to draft a franchise-type quarterback for years.

All of that makes for a perfect storm when it comes to drafting a quarterback, and the Chiefs appear to be at least examining the possibility. They met with Tannehill at the combine and he said he had a private workout for them last week.

“He has everything you look for,” ESPN analyst Todd McShay said recently. “He belongs in the top 10 and has a chance to be an elite quarterback in the NFL.

“To me, you’ve got Andrew Luck at No. 1, then a little bit of a dropoff. There is a difference between (Tannehill) and Robert Griffin III. I don’t think the difference between Robert Griffin III and Tannehill is that big.”

Tannehill, 6 feet 4 and 221 pounds, played wide receiver for much of his time at Texas A&M. He was later moved to quarterback, where he wound up starting his last season and a half. His statistics — he threw 15 interceptions last season — weren’t across-the-board solid, as teams might wish from a top prospect.

But drafting a quarterback is always a gamble. That’s one reason the Chiefs haven’t gone that route, instead preferring to do the safer thing.

Since he’s relatively new as a quarterback, the key to Tannehill’s development might be patience. Since the Chiefs have Cassel and, if need be, Quinn and Stanzi, patient is something they can afford to be with a rookie quarterback.

“When you look at Tannehill and how quickly he’s risen in only 19 starts, and the production isn’t elite and the completion percentage (isn’t great) and all of that, I would have a very difficult time passing on him (in the top 5),” McShay said. “I just think that he has everything you look for in a future franchise quarterback if you develop him properly and you’re willing to be patient.

“If you bring in Tannehill and sit him for ideally a year, or the majority of the year, and put him in towards the end of the year to get him some experience, I just think that you’re looking at an organization that has its future franchise quarterback. He’s a guy with all the physical tools, the size, arm strength, accuracy, which continues to improve. Has the right mentality, can handle pressure, and has intangibles through the roof.”

The Chiefs haven’t seemed sold on Cassel during the offseason. At the least, they’re giving off mixed signals.

“That consistency … I think that’s the biggest thing with Matt,” Chiefs coach Romeo Crennel said. “I think he’s excited about this year, about having Brian Daboll as our offensive coordinator, because he knows Brian and he knows the system Brian brings, and I’ve talked to Matt several times in the offseason and … he’s ready to go to work. He can’t wait for April 16th (start of the Chiefs’ offseason program) to get here so he can start getting into the playbook.

“If he can develop that consistency like we had part of the time in 2010, where we weren’t turning the ball over — we were moving the ball offensively and we were scoring some points — if we can get back to that, that’s what I’m looking for from him.”

The Chiefs started the offseason by saying they intended to find competition for Cassel, then watched as their best possibility for that, Kyle Orton, left as a free-agent for Dallas, where he will back up Tony Romo.

They settled instead for Quinn, but there’s still room for another quarterback, particularly one with Tannehill’s potential.

“You never know what team,” Tannehill said. “There’s always a shocker that jumps in there or jumps out. You never know what’s going to happen. I’m excited about the teams that potentially could be in the quarterback hunt and the opportunities it presents.”

Last edited by BigRatt on Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:45 am

Tannehill wreaks of Mark Sanchez version 2!

Last edited by BigRatt on Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:56 am

2012 NFL Draft: Texas A&M QB Ryan Tannehill Scouting Report

One of the fastest rising prospects in this year's draft class is Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill, who was not on many people's first-round list not too long ago.

However, since the end of the college football and NFL season, many have been watching film on the prospect and have come away impressed. Now, many believe he can be a franchise quarterback and top-10 material.

Is Tannehill truly worthy of a top-10 pick?

Size

Tannehill did not take part in drills at the NFL Combine, but he did get measured and weigh in. The measurements came out to be roughly 6'4" and 221 pounds, both of which are quality for the position.

Mechanics

A quarterback's mechanics are very important because they have a significant impact on the delivery of the pass. But mechanics, namely delivery, come in many different ways. Examples include over the top release as well as a side-arm release.

In Tannehill's case, he tends to drop his elbow below his shoulder when throwing the ball and does not completely follow through with his arm on passes. He will sometimes come up short on his follow through with his arm because he hooks it, which leads to deep passes coming up short despite him having the velocity to throw them.

Footwork and Accuracy

In last week's scouting report on Arizona State quarterback Brock Osweiler, I tied in footwork and accuracy, and that's the case here again with A&M's Tannehill.

Is Ryan Tannehill worthy of a first round pick?

While Osweiler had issues with locking his front leg, Tannehill's issue is with hip rotation, an easier thing to fix with coaching. He doesn't rotate his hips when delivering the ball consistently. Consequently, his passes are not always accurate. This is noticeable on his intermediate and deep passes when he's not taking a three-step drop and quickly getting rid of it.

Pocket Presence

Tannehill's strength is his pocket presence. He has shown on numerous occasions that he can maneuver in the pocket and avoid pressure by taking simple side-steps as well as getting up in the interior of the pocket.

Touch

Moreover, touch is a requisite in quarterbacking at the professional level. Tannehill has showed on occasions that he can throw a touch pass but, I'd like to see more of him doing it.

An instance of Tannehill showing touch on his pass came against SMU, when he threw a pass in between several defenders to his receiver in the seam. This pass came in the middle of the field, where you often will see these types of passes.

Arm Strength

Arm strength is sometimes said to be an overrated aspect of a quarterback's game—and it is, in comparison to the other aspects—but it's still important because it gives the offense more schematic flexibility and changes the way defenses play the offense.

Tannehill has the arm strength—and most importantly, velocity—to deliver all passes that are required at the NFL level. These passes include but are not limited to post, deep comeback, deep out, dig and go route.

Mobility and Throwing On the Run

With the way defenses are playing quarterbacks in today's NFL, mobility in a quarterback is very important because of the chaotic blitzes that defenses are coming up with, as well as because of how much man coverage is being played. It enables the quarterback to escape the pocket and pick up yards on his own.

Tannehill has the mobility to move the pocket and pick up yards with his feet. At Texas A&M, he ran the ball off of a zone read option that featured him sticking the ball in the ball carrier's belly, reading the back-side defensive end and deciding whether he was going to hand the ball off or pluck it back out and run.

Furthermore, Tannehill exhibits the ability to throw while on the move. He does it well and shows that he can go through his reads while doing so, but he needs to clean up this aspect of his game too. He needs to square his hips when throwing and has a tendency to throw off the wrong foot, which is a bit odd.

Texas A&M's offensive scheme was led by head coach Mike Sherman, and it had a lot of West Coast Offense principles. The offense had a significant amount of three- and five-step drops that required passes on timing and full-fledged reads.

Tannehill operated it well, even though at times he had issues with it in decision making and going through his reads too fast that led him to finding the check-down option more often than he should have.

Final Evaluation

Many have called Tannehill a first-round pick since the conclusion of the college football and NFL seasons, but there are questions in his game that do not shout first-round value to me. I believe he should sit and learn the game while improving his fundamentals.

His value, to me, is second round as I am not comfortable with him as a top-10 pick, nor am I comfortable in labeling him a potential franchise quarterback.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:58 am

Intermediate and Long Range Accuracy is an issue and throws a touch pass once in a while. Tannehill sounds like Cassell! No way Pioli takes this clown that high.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:37 am

2012 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Russell Wilson, QB, Wisconsin

April 2, 2012 @ 16:07:38

By Cory J. Bonini

Wisconsin quarterback Russell Wilson has all of the necessary tools to be a first-round selection in the 2012 NFL Draft, but that is unlikely to happen given his lack of prototypical NFL size.

Wilson, in his lone season with the Badgers, tossed 33 touchdown passes to only four interceptions. The senior passed for 3,175 yards in this run-first offense.

Stature isn't everything

Strengths
•Extremely accurate passer, especially in the intermediate and short areas of the field (completed 72.8 percent of his throws in 2011)
•NFL-caliber arm strength
•Athletic and versatile - was drafted by MLB's Colorado Rockies in 2009
•Poised in the pocket and under duress
•Very intelligent - rarely makes a mental mistake
•Adept at reading defenses and manipulating coverage
•Excellent vision and anticipation
•Accurate on the move
•Experienced in a pro-style offense
•Quickly digested Wisconsin's playbook and started opening day after transferring from North Carolina State earlier that summer
•Team captain at both Wisconsin and NC State
•Efficient throwing motion - smooth, over-the-top release

Weaknesses
•Size (5-foot-10 5/8, 204 pounds) is his only glaring drawback
•Played behind one of the best offensive lines in the nation
•Essentially no upside - what you see is what you get

Expected draft placement

Wilson's lack of size will certainly hurt him, and he will also be a 24-year-old rookie, although the latter point isn't such a big deal in a draft class with a soon-to-be 29-year-old Brandon Weeden.

Expect Wilson to come off the board no earlier than the late second round. He may slide into the mid-fourth, but a strong third-round grade is appropriate for his skill set.

Given his comparisons to Drew Brees, don't be surprised to see the New Orleans Saints take a shot on him. After all, Brees is 33 years old and remains entangled in a contract dispute with the embattled club.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/a.php/130092/nfl-draft/2012-NFL-Draft-Scouting-Report--Russell-Wilson--QB--Wisconsin#ixzz1ridRspsW
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:44 am

I know you guys are going to crucify me for this, but I like what I hear about Russell Wilson. I know he's short but so is Drew Brees. If he was 3 to 4 inches taller he would probably be the 3rd QB taken in this draft. He is fast as hell, played in a pro style offense, makes great reads, big arm, very accurate in the pocket and on the run, great release, team captain, great leader. I would draft him if he is there in the 4th to 5th round. He runs a 4.5, if nothing else you can convert him to a hybrid WR/HB type of guy. I think he could do real well behind our O Line and the playaction scheme we are going to be running.

Last edited by BigRatt on Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:21 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:52 am

Rusell Wilson

Size: This is Wilson’s most serious issue as a prospect, and it is what will likely hurt his stock more than anything once the season ends and the grueling NFL Draft postseason begins. I would estimate his height to be about 5’10” which is about three or four inches shorter than most teams would prefer at minimum at the quarterback position. Some people will write him off because of his lack of height, but while I acknowledge it will make life significantly harder for him in the NFL I will absolutely not write him off because of it. It will certainly negatively affect his stock though, and anyone would be foolish to argue otherwise.

Arm Strength: Wilson has very good arm strength. He has great zip on passes to all levels and throws a very nice deep ball. He can make every NFL throw thanks to his very good arm strength and this is definitely one of his strongest attributes. He can absolutely rifle throws from the pocket or when he is moving outside of the pocket which makes him very dangerous.

Accuracy: Wilson’s accuracy is also very impressive. He has quality accuracy to all levels of the field whether they are short, medium or deep throws. Wilson knows when to rifle a throw down the seam and when he needs to put some touch on a pass to drop a throw into a hole between the corner and safety on the sideline. He is also very accurate on the run which makes him dangerous on the outside because if the coverage breaks down at all Wilson can find a hole to throw the ball.

Mechanics: Wilson has quality mechanics. His throwing motion is compact and quick, he has good footwork in the pocket as well as plenty of experience dropping back from center. He has good footwork on play action as well. He usually keeps his shoulders square when scrambling outside of the pocket which is critical to throwing accurate passes on the run quickly. Wilson could stand to get out from under center quicker in my opinion, particularly when handing the ball off at times. But that is a pretty ticky-tacky mechanical flaw, and can easily be coached up.

Mobility: Wilson’s mobility is pretty rare for the position because not only can he threaten defenses with his legs because of his great athleticism he has managed to develop into a great passing quarterback with great mobility rather than a great runner that can throw as well. The distinction may not be very obvious, but the ability to scramble and gain yardage with your legs is usually a crutch that prevents athletic quarterbacks from developing into good or great passers. That is certainly not the case for Wilson but that doesn’t mean he can’t rip off big runs when he gets outside of the pocket. Teams have to account for his ability to run and that is so hard to do against Wisconsin thanks to their fantastic running game as well as Wilson’s ability to stretch the field as a passer. His mobility helps him extend plays and makes him a very dangerous passer outside of the pocket.

Pre/Post Snap Reads: Wilson seems to make very good pre and post snap reads based off of what I’ve seen of him. At times at NC State he would force passes into coverage and make poor decisions when he was simply trying to throw his team into the game and keep them competitive. But at Wisconsin he has been terrifyingly efficient now that he has one of the best running games in the country helping him balance out the passing attack. He does a good job of identifying coverages pre-snap and reads defenses well once he drops back to pass. He also does a good job of reading defenses quickly after play action fakes and does a good job of making decisive decisions.

Pocket Poise: I think pocket poise is a very important quality to identify in quarterbacks and I think Wilson has pretty good poise in the pocket, especially for someone with so much athletic ability who can scramble for positive yardage. One of the few weaknesses in his game seems to be when there is pressure around him in the pocket and trash at his feet. I’m not sure why this is, but it certainly limits his ability to find throwing lanes because of his height and he can’t often scramble out of it, so it makes sense that in these situations he would be less effective than others. I think that causes him some discomfort at times, and will result in throws off of his back foot or less accurate passes than when he has a cleaner pocket, when he can side-step the rush to find a throwing lane, or when he can move outside of the pocket where he has clear vision of the field.

Intangibles: Russell Wilson’s intangibles are off the charts as far as I’m concerned because of how significant of a leader he was at NC State and because he has been able to seamlessly transition into a completely different locker room and organization and not only become a quality starter, but become a fantastic player worthy of at least some Heisman consideration as well as the leader of his new team, all in a matter of weeks and months. As I like to say “you can’t coach that” and that is as true about Wilson’s intangibles as it is with anything else. He’s a very hard worker, he’s very poised, he’s intelligent and he is just a natural leader. Yes, I think the Badgers would have been good this year even with a question mark at quarterback, but Wilson has been the guy that has not only made them great, but has made them borderline unstoppable. There is definitely something to be said for that.

Character: Wilson’s character is top notch from what I know of him and he is considered to be a very hard worker, very studious, watches a lot of film and clearly has his head on straight. Drafting him won’t be a risk as far as character is concerned.

Overall: I’m a huge fan of Wilson and even though I expected him to be a terrific quarterback for the University of Wisconsin even I couldn’t have anticipated him being this good this soon. He has absolutely shut up everyone who doubted that he could transition into the Badgers smoothly and he has not only transformed the Badgers into contenders, he has transformed them into a virtual lock for the Rose Bowl as the eventual Big 10 champions. His height is his most significant issue as a prospect, and beyond that he is a very well-rounded prospect that if he was three or four inches taller would warrant serious first or second round consideration in my opinion. He’s got plenty of upside, he just has to prove that he can overcome his lack of ideal (or even average) height. Playing behind Wisconsin’s mammoth offensive line and having this kind of success can’t hurt, and it will be interesting to see how he ultimately translates to the NFL once he gets drafted.

Projection: 3rd-4th round. Wilson has the ability of a 1st or 2nd round selection, but his height will hurt his stock and make people question how well he will transition to the NFL. I think he can make it as a NFL starter, but his height certainly poses a significant barrier between himself and success at the next level. Personally, I’ll be rooting for him. I am really looking forward to seeing him play at the Senior Bowl this year if he elects to go.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Wilson from the Combine   Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:00 am

Overview

Wilson is this year's big-time question mark at quarterback. Unlike those who have held this title in the past, Wilson is a stellar passer who shows arm strength and accuracy when he is able to deliver the ball without a hitch. A transfer from North Carolina St. over the summer, he has outstanding football intelligence as he picked up the Wisconsin offense in a short time and was the opening-day starter. However, at his height teams will have concerns whether or not he can see to make the throws at the next level. He is a mechanical mover who has strong technique and leadership qualities. If Wilson were three inches taller there would be debate at the top of the draft as to where he fits in, but look for teams to take a flier on him in late rounds to see if he can develop and outplay his size.

Analysis

Strengths -
Wilson is an accurate passer. He is a very mechanical quarterback who is consistent in his drop step and thoroughly understands how to move within the pocket and evade when the pocket collapses. He is an athlete and can torque his body to make any sort of throw on the run, and is accurate in this setting. He is a born signal caller who shows command of the offense. He has the arm strength to make the deep throws and the touch to put it on a receiver in stride. He is effective when scrambling and is a classic play extender.

Weaknesses -
Wilson's height will be his biggest inhibitor at the next level and the largest reason for his late-round value. It remains to be seen if he can throw effectively from the pocket at the next level.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:04 am

UW FOOTBALL: Russell Willson's accuracy, arm strength impress NFL scouts at Badgers' pro day

March 07, 2012 9:36 pm • By Tom Mulhern, Capital Newspapers

Former University of Wisconsin quarterback Russell Wilson impressed NFL coaches and personnel executives with his accuracy and arm strength Wednesday at UW’s pro timing day at the McClain Center in Madison, a good thing since he’s considered undersized at under 6-feet tall.

MADISON — The one thing former University of Wisconsin quarterback Russell Wilson can’t change about himself prior to the NFL draft is his height.

Or can he?

Wilson measured at 5-foot-11 at UW’s pro timing day on Wednesday, or 3/8 of an inch taller than he measured at the combine and Senior Bowl.

Maybe it was his longer hair style — still, it was an indication of how well things went for Wilson in front of a large contingent of NFL coaches and personnel executives.

He threw 63 passes inside the McClain Center during a lengthy workout run by former NFL quarterback Chris Weinke, who has worked with Wilson the last seven weeks.

Wilson was on target with 59 of his throws, including two drops. He clearly looked comfortable, in his element, throwing to former Badgers such as wide receivers Nick Toon and David Gilreath, tight end Jake Byrne and fullback Bradie Ewing.

“We were just trying to show everything I could possibly do,” Wilson said. “I think I had a very, very efficient day today.”

Wilson said he threw every route he could possibly throw in the NFL, including several deep balls.

“A lot of times, in these situations, at the end, scouts want to see certain throws,” Weinke said. “My plan coming in was we were going to make every throw they could ever want to see from him — and he passed with flying colors today.”

Wilson was extremely accurate last season, completing 72.8 percent of his passes (225 of 309). His accuracy didn’t drop much on the run, either.

But what he also showed the scouts was his arm strength and velocity on the ball.

When Weinke was asked about Wilson’s overall accuracy, and accuracy on the run, he said, “Those are both things he does well. But I also think what he showed today was some serious arm strength.

“Being able to drop back smoothly and be able to deliver the ball on time, with not only accuracy but some serious velocity and then to be able to show he can throw the ball down the field, I heard some ‘oohs’ and ‘aahs’ once he dropped a couple of those long ones in.”

Throwing with no defenders on the field, Wilson completed several deep throws. The only deep incompletions included one overthrow to Gilreath and a drop by Gilreath, who finished his UW career in 2010.

The only other poor throws by Wilson were overthrows to Toon on an out, as well as to Toon on a flag route; and a pass when Wilson led Byrne too much over the middle.

A couple of the receivers helped Wilson out with nice catches: Gilreath reached back to snag a pass slightly behind him and also made a nice catch on a ball at his knees. But most of the throws were right on target.

“I think (accuracy) is something that’s going to be huge in the NFL,” Wilson said. “Obviously, you always want to be accurate with the football. You want to deliver the ball on time and put it in a place where only your guy can get it.”

While Wilson threw at the combine in Indianapolis last month, he said that included only five different routes. This was his chance to show he could make every throw.

In addition to throwing to familiar receivers, former Badgers center Peter Konz snapped for Wilson. Konz didn’t do anything else for scouts, electing to work out in April instead, when his injured ankle should be 100 percent.

Konz missed three games last season, prior to the Rose Bowl, following a dislocated left ankle. He estimated he is about 90 percent healthy.

When asked about Wilson’s performance, Konz said, “Fantastic. We all expected that out of him, just because he’s as good as everyone thinks he is and probably even better than that. He just needs his shot.”

The NFL scouts also seemed impressed, including Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson, who is in the market for a backup quarterback.

“He’s a very impressive fellow,” Thompson said of Wilson, “articulate, knowledgeable, confident, and he projects that confidence. He’s going to be a good get for somebody.”

Wilson certainly hasn’t ended all questions about his height leading up to the draft. But he has answered them the best way he knows how, with his play.

“I’ve been this way my whole life,” he said. “My height’s not a factor. I played this way my whole life. I think I only got three balls batted down all (last) season. The key is finding lanes and delivering the ball on time.

“There’s not that much of a difference if I was 6-1, or 5-11, to be honest with you, playing behind the offensive line we play behind and the defensive players in the NFL. You don’t really see over guys, you throw through lanes, deliver an accurate ball, throw the ball with a little arc and pace and just make plays.”
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FatThucker
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:52 am

BigRatt wrote:
Tannehill wreaks of Mark Sanchez version!

Whoa, whoa, whoa.....what? Tannehill has a strong arm, athletic ability to burn, and a non-douchebag mentality. I don't see any Mark Sanchez in Tannehill whatsoever. Except the constant need to be coddled and told how magnificent he is, Sanchez and Cassel are close versions of each other.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:01 pm

FatThucker wrote:
BigRatt wrote:

Whoa, whoa, whoa.....what? Tannehill has a strong arm, athletic ability to burn, and a non-douchebag mentality. I don't see any Mark Sanchez in Tannehill whatsoever. Except the constant need to be coddled and told how magnificent he is, Sanchez and Cassel are close versions of each other.

After 19 starts that's who he reminds me of. Sanchez had the same comparable amount of starts and got the same kind of press Tannehill is getting. Tannehill was such a stud QB coming out of high school that he went to A and M as a WR. From what I read, his midlevel and deep accuracy is not great by any stretch. He occasionally can throw a touch pass. He may be fast and he may be coached up. At this point, I think teams are trying to make chicken salad out of chicken shit. He's a project that belongs in the 2nd round.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:29 am

Brooks got snubbed by the Combine. Here is how he stacked up against Decastro numbers wise. I have never watched any film of him though. Anybody know anything about how he plays?

Brandon Brooks, G/T, Miami of Ohio
Height: 6-5. Weight: 346.
40 Time: 4.98. 10-Yd Split: 1.71.
Bench: 36.
Arm: 33 1/2. Hand: 10.
Projected Round (2012): 3-4.

David DeCastro*, G, Stanford
Height: 6-5. Weight: 316.
40 Time: 5.43. 10-Yd Split: 1.82.
Bench: 34.
Arm: 32 3/8.
Projected Round (2012): Top 20.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:46 am

Brooks lays out scout at Pro Day! This is Hilarious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiUcbhE8fTQ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:50 am

Decastro High School Highlights. We have to get this guy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9yIUuQgNmg&feature=related
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:01 pm

They interviewed Kuechly's d cord this morning on 610. I know he isnt gonna say anything bad about his kid but from what he said it sounds like he is as much a sure thing as anybody else in this draft.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:19 pm

You can go to 610's website and listen to the interview. I dont know how to put it on this site or even if you can or I would. I liked it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:14 pm

I'd be cool with DeCastro then Ta'amu.

All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:21 pm

That would be a great start to our draft.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FatThucker
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:35 pm

BigRatt wrote:
FatThucker wrote:
BigRatt wrote:

After 19 starts that's who he reminds me of. Sanchez had the same comparable amount of starts and got the same kind of press Tannehill is getting. Tannehill was such a stud QB coming out of high school that he went to A and M as a WR. From what I read, his midlevel and deep accuracy is not great by any stretch. He occasionally can throw a touch pass. He may be fast and he may be coached up. At this point, I think teams are trying to make chicken salad out of chicken shit. He's a project that belongs in the 2nd round.

He didn't go to A&M as a WR, he just didn't beat out Jerrod Johnson (who would later become the preseason Big 12 player of the year) for the starting QB spot. The coaches decided that they didn't want to let a big football talent just sit on the bench. So they threw him on the field as a WR. As soon as Jerrod Johnson started struggling, they moved Tannehill back to QB and never looked back.. That's why he's considered raw, because he has only practiced as a QB in college for a year and a half. Physically, he's light years ahead of Sanchez. He just has to put it all together. His best trait is his leadership. He's one of those guys who just has 'it'. I never thought that about Sanchez, even though he was portrayed that way too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FatThucker
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:50 pm

BigRatt wrote:
I know you guys are going to crucify me for this, but I like what I hear about Russell Wilson. I know he's short but so is Drew Brees. If he was 3 to 4 inches taller he would probably be the 3rd QB taken in this draft. He is fast as hell, played in a pro style offense, makes great reads, big arm, very accurate in the pocket and on the run, great release, team captain, great leader. I would draft him if he is there in the 4th to 5th round. He runs a 4.5, if nothing else you can convert him to a hybrid WR/HB type of guy. I think he could do real well behind our O Line and the playaction scheme we are going to be running.

He looked very smooth all year running the offense for Wisconsin after transferring. I just don' t know if he has a higher ceiling than Troy Smith
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OutlawChief
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:17 pm

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that the Eagles and Rams are both "believed to be" interested in trading up to the Browns' pick at No. 4 overall.
The Plain Dealer gives the Browns a "decent chance" of trading out of No. 4. "At least three or four" clubs drafting in the top 20 have reportedly phoned Cleveland, with St. Louis and Philadelphia thought to be among them. The Eagles could be targeting Texas A&M QB Ryan Tannehill, while the Rams may be eyeing LSU CB Morris Claiborne, Alabama RB Trent Richardson, or Oklahoma State WR Justin Blackmon. One source told Browns beat reporter Mary Kay Cabot that the Chiefs "would probably not trade up" for Tannehill. It's believed no trade for the No. 4 pick would occur until draft day. Keep in mind the story comes out of Cleveland, and may have been leaked by the Browns to generate interest in the fourth pick.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Touchdown Bowe
Mod Lord
Mod Lord

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:29 am

Why in the fucking world would Philly want to trade up for Tannehill? Kafka is a reasonable backup..

Mod Lord
Mod Lord

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:00 pm

Kafka is a BEAST!

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   

Back to top Go down

2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next