ARROWHEAD DRIVE

Best source for up to the minute Chiefs news, updates, rumors, and inside information!

Home  Calendar  FAQ  Usergroups  ArcadeArcade  Register  Log in  
Poll
Who is it?
 Geno Smith
 Luke Joekel
 Domontre Moore
 Jarvis Jones
 Manti Te'o
 Star Lotulelei
 Tyler Wilson
 Other
View results
Latest topics
» Naruto Shippuden Season 5 (English Dub)
Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:05 pm by tamger

» Jordi-nio-polla-dscargar-gratis
Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:23 pm by tamger

» Rihanna Russian Roulette
Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:06 pm by tamger

» Bitdefender Total Security 2015 License Key And Serial Key
Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:19 am by tamger

» Psiphon For 64bit Windows 7
Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:06 am by tamger

Advertisement

Share | 

Another Free Agency Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Another Free Agency Thread   Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:43 pm

First topic message reminder :

Can't have enough of these

AuthorMessage
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:22 pm

Miami Dolphins defensive tackle Paul Soliai is a guy we've talked about around here a few times, including this morning in my post about the free agents the Kansas City Chiefs should pursue.

It appears the Chiefs feel the same way. Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk reports the Chiefs are among a number of teams that have interest in Soliai including his soon-to-be-former team Miami Dolphins as well as the Denver Broncos, Indianapolis Colts, San Francisco 49ers, New England Patriots and Atlanta Falcons.

This smells like an agent-driven report to me so keep that in mind. But Soliai does seem to make a lot of sense for the Chiefs. One of the positions we've been focusing on with the Chiefs No. 11 pick in the 2012 NFL draft is nose tackle and adding Soliai would solve that problem. He's young (28), big (6'4" and 355 pounds) and, on the surface, makes sense with the Chiefs.

Check out this post from Pro Football Talk where they're wondering if the Peyton Manning sweepstakes will affect Soliai's free agency bid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:24 pm

2012 NFL Free Agency: Eric Winston Makes Perfect Sense For Kansas City Chiefs

Read More: Eric Winston (OT - HOU), Kansas City Chiefs, Houston Texans

It's not very often that a 28-year old offensive tackle that has started for over 5 1/2 years for one of the best running teams in the NFL becomes available in free agency. That's exactly what happened when Eric Winston, the standout offensive tackle for the Houston Texans became available when he announced on twitter page that he was being cut from the team.

"Unfortunately I have bad news. The Texans have decided to release me today. Although it is a surprise, I have nothing but positive memories and great relationships that I have built over the years. While my future seems uncertain, I am confident I will land on my feet."

The Kansas City Chiefs enter this free agency period with one huge hole on their offensive line, and that's at right tackle. That's the same position that Winston has excelled at for the last several years with the Texans.

Winston was a third round pick out of the University of Miami in 2006 by the Texans. He started the last seven games of the season during his rookie year and has started every game since that game (71 consecutive). The 6'7 317 lb tackle grew up in Midland, Texas and attended Robert E. Lee High School. Winston originally committed to Miami as a tight end and didn't make the switch to tackle until right before his sophomore year for the Hurricanes. Winston graduated from Miami in three years with a 3.5 GPA with a degree in International Finance and Marketing.

He had signed a 5-year, $30 million extension with the Texans in 2008 before being released on Monday. While it does come as quite a surprise that Winston was let go the day before free agency, Winston joins fellow recently cut tackle Levi Brown, along with Jared Gaither as the top tackles available in free agency that starts on Tuesday.

The Chiefs are fully expected to be looking at tackles this off-season as finding a replacement for the very inconsistent Barry Richardson should be a priority for the team before the 2012 season. General Manager Scott Pioli has even said that upgrading the offensive line was going to be a priority this off-season for the team. There couldn't be a better way to do that then to lock up one of the best tackles on the open market.

There won't be a shortage of teams that will be looking for Winston's services either. It's rare to find quality tackles and Winston is just that. He paved the way for Arian Foster last season and Winston is the prototypical zone-blocking right tackle, which is the same blocking scheme that the Chiefs run. Foster finished 5th in the league in rushing last season as he amassed over 1,200 yards and 10 touchdowns for the division champion Houston Texans.

The Kansas City Chiefs have been connected to just about every offensive tackle in the upcoming draft in case you ever check out any of the experts mock drafts. By signing a guy like Winston in free agency, it could open the possibilities to add a guy like Stanford's David DeCastro with the 11th pick in the upcoming draft. You would then have solidified your offensive line for the foreseeable future. Jon Asamoah, Rodney Hudson, Eric Winston and David Decastro give you four young, solid offensive lineman and as Branden Albert enters his contract year, one extension with Albert could set your offensive line for the next decade.

If Scott Pioli was serious about upgrading the offensive line than you would have to think that he would explore the possibility of Eric Winston in free agency. While Winston was just making an average of $6 million per year on the extension that he signed in 2008, the Chiefs are sitting on plenty of cap space to make a deal with Winston and solidify one of the biggest holes, if not biggest, on the entire roster.

Since arriving in Kansas City, Scott Pioli has not yet made a big splash on the first day of free agency in his first three years so don't expect that to change this year. However, if he is serious about pursuing Winston, he'll probably want to put in a call sooner rather than later because his services will be in demand, and most Chiefs fans are demanding an upgrade on the line. We'll find out on Tuesday if Pioli was serious about making serious upgrades to the line. Because the top tackles available won't be available for long.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:25 pm

I'm drooling at the thought of an O line that looks something like this.

Albert-Decastro-Hudson-Aso-Winston

A line like that just might make Charles the player he is in Madden. I scored 57 TD's with Charles for the 2012 season! lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:44 pm

I'd like to sign Winston, Nicks, and Soliai in FA then pick up Kuechly or T. Tichardson at 11. Thats a lot of money in FA but they are all good and not old so well worth it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:16 pm

I'm just jizzing at the thought of signing Soliai and Winston then drafting DeCastro.

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:38 pm

If we dont go after Nicks then I like Decastro at 11.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:39 pm

But I also think there is a good chance he is gone before 11
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:55 pm

No possible way we are the team that makes Nicks the highest paid guard in the NFL. Also drafting a OG at 11 is a bit of a reach already, so I doubt he goes in the top ten.

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:05 pm

I would also doubt us making him the highest paid guard except that next year teams have to be within a certain percentage of the cap which we arent even close to yet. Clark is a cheap piece but the rules soon wont allow him to be as cheap as he'd like. Might as well spend it on some young decent FA this year instead of waiting til next.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SylvesterMalone1978
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:11 pm

There's ten teams with more cap space..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:44 pm

Chiefs09 wrote:
I would also doubt us making him the highest paid guard except that next year teams have to be within a certain percentage of the cap which we arent even close to yet. Clark is a cheap piece but the rules soon wont allow him to be as cheap as he'd like. Might as well spend it on some young decent FA this year instead of waiting til next.

We are at 22 million in cap space right now. They have to deal with Bowe, Dorsey, and Albert long term next year. That no doubt is gonna eat a pretty good chunk of that space. If we sign any FA's at all we are going to be close. I wouldn't be surprised to see this the last year for Bowe or Dorsey.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:48 pm

What the hell is Miami thinking? They trade Brandon Marshall to the Bears for 2 -3rd round picks. Wow! They must be short on cap space or looking at Floyd in the draft.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:02 pm

Orton visiting Dallas. Like I said teams aren't going to be knocking his door down to come start, and he has a better chance of beating out Cassel than he does Romo.

I think Carr is also visiting Dallas.

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:06 pm

RustShack wrote:
Orton visiting Dallas. Like I said teams aren't going to be knocking his door down to come start, and he has a better chance of beating out Cassel than he does Romo.

I think Carr is also visiting Dallas.

How in the hell can Dallas or Washington sign anyone when they were both stripped of all left over Salary cap this year?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:07 pm

Source said Winston has no visits planned yet but the PHins are interested.

Last edited by BigRatt on Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:07 pm

I think Dallas is only losing 10 million over two years... but Washington is losing 36 of two years!

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:39 pm

Jason La Canfora‏@JasonLaCanforaReply
Retweet

TE John Carlson has a visit set with the Chiefs #freeagency

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:00 pm

Chiefs | Interested in Eric Winston
Tue, 13 Mar 2012 14:11:02 -0700

The Kansas City Chiefs are showing interest in free-agent OT Eric Winston (Texans) but have not scheduled a visit at this point.

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:01 pm

Adam Caplan‏@caplannflReply
Retweet

Favorite
· Open

In addition to his visit with the Chiefs, TE John Carlson receiving interest from several teams: Bucs, Colts, Cowboys and a few others.

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:02 pm

Adam Teicher‏@adamteicherReply
Retweet

Favorite
· Open

Think #Chiefs are busy on other fronts but can't report that yet. Waiting on some confirmation

Amateur
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:16 pm

I know its only day 1 of FA... but apparently we are not a player to land any of the QB's on the market. Orton set to visit Redskins and Dallas, Cambell set to visit Chicago, Henne getting interest from Seattle, Jacksonville and NY Jets. QB's mentioned in the same sentence w/ KC.... zero. Still think Cassel is not the starter for the Cheaps.. oh I mean the Chiefs.

YAY!!! Another year of watching Cassel try to impersonate a starting NFL quarterback...and fail miserably.

As a matter of fact the only FA scheduled to come to KC is a TE who was out injured all of last season. If he signs, I bet he comes cheap. Oh well another $30 million to pad Hunt's pockets.

Last edited by redross006 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:08 pm

Nicks has scheduled meeting with bucs. Heard on 610 Dallas is close to deal with Carr. sad part is it sounds like is is only a couple hundred thousand per year more than we gave Rout.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redross006
Amateur
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:19 pm

Whats sad is Orton would rather backup Romo than "compete" w/ Cassel. Says alot about this sorry assed organization. Hunts greed and Pioli's ego are turning ArrowHead into a place where no one wants to play. Bet Bowe can't wait to burn out next year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:33 pm

and Peyton wouldnt give Pioli the time of day. looks like Pioli had nothing to do with the Pats winning ways. He sure hasnt done shit here. gaping holes all over the D-line. big holes at G and RT. lets carr go over a couple hundred thou. Still no QB and his ego is too big to admit his guy sucks. Berry is his lone good 1st rounder. If KC makes no moves in FA it might be time to start up a fire Pioli website. Of course it might be his hands are tied with such a cheap owner.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redross006
Amateur
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:01 pm

Oh wait... some good news... OT Winston to visit KC... according to Adam Schefter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   

Back to top Go down

Another Free Agency Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 18Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 18  Next