ARROWHEAD DRIVE

Best source for up to the minute Chiefs news, updates, rumors, and inside information!

Home  Calendar  FAQ  Usergroups  ArcadeArcade  Register  Log in  
Poll
Who is it?
 Geno Smith
 Luke Joekel
 Domontre Moore
 Jarvis Jones
 Manti Te'o
 Star Lotulelei
 Tyler Wilson
 Other
View results
Latest topics
» Naruto Shippuden Season 5 (English Dub)
Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:05 pm by tamger

» Jordi-nio-polla-dscargar-gratis
Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:23 pm by tamger

» Rihanna Russian Roulette
Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:06 pm by tamger

» Bitdefender Total Security 2015 License Key And Serial Key
Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:19 am by tamger

» Psiphon For 64bit Windows 7
Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:06 am by tamger

Advertisement

Share | 

Another Free Agency Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Another Free Agency Thread   Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:43 pm

First topic message reminder :

Can't have enough of these

AuthorMessage
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:18 pm

Chiefs can fill some needs in free agency but may be selective

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

General manager Scott Pioli indicated the Chiefs would be busy in the free-agent market when the signing period begins Tuesday. He also cautioned that their activity might not result in a big crop of new veteran players heading to Kansas City.

“We are going to overturn a lot of rocks,’’ Pioli said. “We’re going to be very active in the pursuit of a number of different players. How much we get done isn’t just up to us. We’ve already been active in free-agency and not only the players we’ve re-signed but we added Stanford Routt.

“There have been plenty of times when we’ve pursued players in the past, and sometimes it’s worked out and sometimes it hasn’t worked out. We’ll see how it goes. But we’re certainly going to try to continue to improve our football team by adding players that are going to be available in free-agency.’’

The Chiefs don’t have many holes on their roster. They need immediate help at offensive tackle, where Barry Richardson is a potential free agent, and nose tackle, where Kelly Gregg is 35 and contemplating retirement. The Chiefs may pursue players at one position or both in free-agency.

But they have plenty of positions where they’re looking for an upgrade over the incumbent. One is quarterback, where Matt Cassel has been their starter for the last three seasons.

Peyton Manning is out there, and while the Chiefs have indicated an interest in him, it may not be mutual. Veteran quarterbacks who should be available to the Chiefs in free-agency include Oakland’s Jason Campbell, Miami’s Chad Henne and Denver’s Brady Quinn.

The last three have ties to Chiefs coaches. Campbell was coached by Jim Zorn in Washington, Henne by Brian Daboll with the Dolphins and Quinn by Romeo Crennel in Cleveland.

The Chiefs may also prefer to draft a quarterback.

“I wouldn’t necessarily say I would prefer a rookie or a veteran,’’ Crennel said. “I prefer the guy that gives us the best chance. We’re looking at guys in free-agency and looking at guys in the draft and then try to make the best decision we can to move the team forward.

“We’ll just have to see how it plays out.’’

The Chiefs may add a quarterback through both free-agency and the draft. But they’re unlikely to sign a veteran and then draft a quarterback in an early round. The Chiefs already have Ricky Stanzi, their only other quarterback under contract, as a developmental prospect.

“If you have one developmental guy you feel good about, you probably don’t need two,’’ Crennel said.

At other spots, the Chiefs need some depth. They hope, for instance, running back Jamaal Charles and tight end Tony Moeaki can return from their knee injuries, but they need some insurance in case they can’t.

Even if those two can return successfully, the Chiefs could use an extra body at both positions. Crennel suggested much of what the Chiefs do in free-agency could be related to building their depth. They had trouble adequately replacing Charles, Moeaki and Cassel last year.

“We’ll be as active as we need to be, but I can’t tell you how active that will be,’’ Crennel said. “It depends on what happens in free-agency. If we end up losing some guys that we want to keep, then we have to replace what we’ve lost.

“(High-) quality depth is important. That creates competition and competition makes everybody better.’’

The Chiefs’ record in free-agency has been mixed since Pioli joined the Chiefs in 2009. That first year, the major signings were Zach Thomas, Mike Goff and Bonny Engram. None was even slightly useful to the Chiefs.

Since then, with players like Ryan Lilja, Casey Wiegmann and Steve Breaston, their record has been better. But the Chiefs still haven’t added a true impact player in free-agency.

“We’ve got to do a better job in free-agency,’’ Pioli said. “I think we’ve done an OK job. I’m not satisfied with it, because we’re not yet a consistently successful team. That’s the intention. Part of what I said when I got here is that we want to consistently compete for championships. You do that by bringing in good players. I know our roster is better than what it was (when I joined the Chiefs). However, you can’t win a division one year and be sub-.500 the next year. That’s not the goal.

“Of the people we’ve actively pursued and missed out on, there’s not really anyone where I’ve said, ‘I wish we’d gone the extra mile to make sure we’d have gotten that deal done

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:14 pm

If Manning chooses another team, Orton, The Law Firm, McClain, and Paul Solai would be my immediate FA goals! Grubbs and Nicks are going to command huge money. Decastro will solve that need in the draft. I'm increasingly concerned that they will take a not so talented OT (Martin or Reiff) over Decastro just b/c we don't have much other than Albert. Richardson could be alright with the right QB at the helm. Mims is an unknown quantity at this juncture. There doesn't appear to be shit in FA at OT other the Levi and hes a power tackle that probably doesn't fit anyway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:22 pm

I was reading a list of best Guards in the NFL and they listed Lilja at like 7 or 8. Am I missing something there? He's pretty good in Pass Pro but doesn't do a thing for me in the run game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:35 pm

Hey Rust! This is good FA thread, you might as well make this the Official FA thread. Its that time of year and I cant wait!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:37 pm

Chiefs Salary Cap Space Entering Free Agency

Headshot_tiny by Joel Thorman on Mar 12, 2012 12:00 PM CDT in 2012 KC Chiefs Free Agency

A few weeks ago, the Kansas City Chiefs were trumpeted as having $62.5 million in salary cap space for the 2012 NFL season. And then GM Scott Pioli went on 810 WHB in Kansas City to clarify that it's actually around $37 million once you take into account bonuses and what not from players already on the roster.

From there, the Chiefs signed CB Stanford Routt to the tune of $6+ million in 2012, released Demorrio Williams and saved $1.7 million in cap space and applied the $9.5 million franchise tender to Dwayne Bowe.

After all that, their salary cap space stands at $32.5 million, according to a Sunday report from Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk.

That's good for fifth most space in the league behind the Cincinnati Bengals ($49.9 million), Denver Broncos ($44.7 million), Tampa Bay Buccaneers ($42.7 million) and Jacksonville Jaguars ($40.6 million).

Six teams are over the salary cap limit, with the Arizona Cardinals leading the way at $16.4 million over. The fact that they're in the Peyton Manning sweepstakes, and think they can afford him, should tell you how easy it is to manipulate the cap to say whatever you want it to say.

Even better is that the Oakland Raiders are $7.4 million over the salary cap after already releasing a few players (including both starting cornerbacks). As Gunther once said about the Chiefs releasing players, it sure would be nice to be around and pick a few of these guys up when Oakland releases them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:38 pm

So goes the theory that the Chiefs are the cheapest team in the NFL! Apparently them Donks are cheaper.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:42 pm

But but the Donks are going after Manning! They can't be cheap.

Can't wait to hear this logic.

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:00 pm

RustShack wrote:
But but the Donks are going after Manning! They can't be cheap.

Can't wait to hear this logic.

Me as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redross006
Amateur
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:05 pm

BigRatt wrote:
So goes the theory that the Chiefs are the cheapest team in the NFL! Apparently them Donks are cheaper.

The thing is that the Chiefs have been around $30 million under the cap for the last 3 years. The other teams listed don't have a history of not spending $$$. The Chiefs do. I think if we sign the Law Firm... he will be the biggest and only noteworthy FA that we sign. The NT from Miami will get alot of interest around the league and will likely cost more than the Chiefs are willing to part with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:36 pm

Josina Anderson‏@JosinaAndersonReply
Retweet

Favorite
· Open

Chiefs DL Amon Gordon and his agent Angelo Wright have both told me that the Chiefs have re-signed Amon to a 2-year deal.

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:06 pm

Rams releasing C Jason Brown today, per @Ravensinsider. The 28 year old OG/C was set to make $5million in 2012

nfldraftupdate on twitter
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:06 pm

Brown could shake things up as we had interest in him before.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:07 pm

"Very intelligent conversation with Mike Tolbert. Sounds like he is done in SD. Lists TB, Pit, NYG, Den, KC, GB, Mia as good fits."

@AdamSchein
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SylvesterMalone1978
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:29 pm

Bucs are letting Faine go. Pretty sure we almost signed him before.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SylvesterMalone1978
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:38 pm

Chiefs placed a 2nd round tender on starting ILB Jovan Belcher
Adam Caplan‏@caplann

#Chiefs placed a 2nd round tender on starting ILB Jovan Belcher, source confirmed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:21 pm

"It's was fun while it lasted"

Twitter / Wallace Gilberry

Hmm...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:22 pm

One of the best parts of the NFL's free agency period are all the cuts from other teams that will be coming down. It's not just about the players we know are going to become free agents. It's also about the guys under contract that are cut, sometimes as part of a cost-cutting move.

A few notable players that have been cut or will reportedly be cut include...

Eric Winston, the Houston Texans starting right tackle. He announced just recently on Twitter that he's been released. This one is a surprise and definitely someone the Chiefs should keep an eye on. He's been a starter for the last five and a half years and earned one contract extension with the Texans.

Hey, the Chiefs need a right tackle!

One of those players that could be gone is Arizona Cardinals offensive tackle Levi Brown. ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Cards are "expected" to release him. He's due a $6 million bonus has a big 2012 salary cap number. He's a prime candidate to be a cap casualty, especially if the Cardinals need to free up some space for a certain quarterback.

Those two are probably two of the top three offensive tackles available. Either one interest you? Winston does to me, more than Brown.

Another one of those players on his way out is Oakland Raiders tight end Kevin Boss. The Chiefs tight end position is interesting heading into next season because you have the guy you really like in Tony Moeaki but you also need some assurances in case he goes down again.

Center Jason Brown will be released by the St. Louis Rams. Remember he signed a big six-year deal a few years ago. A bunch of us wanted the Chiefs to sign him. He was benched last year which is definitely not a good sign moving forward but another name on the market.

Another one is Igor Olshansky, who was released by the San Diego Chargers last week. He reportedly visited with the Chiefs already.

These are the types of players that will be hitting the market in the coming hours and days.

Last edited by BigRatt on Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:24 pm

I'll take Winston! Sign that Som Bitch! Hes one hell of a zone RT. There is a God after all!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:40 pm

Gordo was a nice addition and shocked me a bit at times last year. Pretty sad when a guy like Gordo can step in for a top 5 pick and you don't notice the top 5 pick is gone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Touchdown Bowe
Mod Lord
Mod Lord

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:55 pm

Sign Winston and Tolbert.

The more I think about it, the more I'd give a shot at drafting Tannehill. What do we have to lose besides more games under Cassel?

All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:56 pm

Holy shit Winston, he is a target for sure go get em!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Top FA's by Position   Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:00 pm

Quarterbacks

Peyton Manning - The big prize in free agency, teams are already tripping over themselves to court Manning. He could displace Tim Tebow. He is supposedly on track to play this season. The real question with Manning is whether or not he can still lift a team all by himself, or if he will look more like those sad rock bands, still touring long after their shelf-life expired.
Potential destinations: Arizona, Denver, Miami

Matt Flynn - The consolation prize. Flynn will get a pricey contract from a desperate team. Can he run an offense or was being Aaron Rodgers' backup his ceiling?
Potential destinations: Cleveland, Miami

Chad Henne - If the team you root for is signing Henne, you better hope he is only there as a backup. A reunion with Tony Sparano appears to be the favored scenario for Henne, where he will "push" Mark Sanchez.
Likely destination: New York Jets, Kansas City

Wide Receivers

Vincent Jackson - Jackson is very good, and he can expect stupid money in free agency, something along the lines of $10-11 million per season.
Potential destinations: Buffalo, Chicago, Tampa Bay, Buffalo

Marques Colston - Some team is going to pay Colston top-tier money. Some team is going to be very disappointed with the return on its investment. His success was due in large part to the Saints offense, where he often found himself in single coverage working out of the slot.
Potential destinations: Chicago, New Orleans

Brandon Lloyd - A Boston Globe report over the weekend described Lloyd as a moody, self-centered teammate. It also said that Josh McDaniels was the only one who could coax some value out of him. Lloyd is a long-striding, deep threat who matches a need for the Patriots.
Likely destination: New England

Mario Manningham - Defined by his Super Bowl play, Manningham is looking for starter money on the market. He is more of a secondary receiver than a go-to guy, and he has yet to show much consistency throughout his career. That said, he's still a solid vertical threat.
Potential destinations: Tampa Bay, Washington

Pierre Garcon - Garcon actually had his best season last year, without Peyton Manning. That was mostly due to the fact that he finally played all 16 games. He has the talent, but has never put it all together to produce the kind of results worthy of a big free agent contract.
Potential destinations: Jacksonville, Miami, Indianapolis

Josh Morgan - A Monday report from the NFL Network said teams covet Morgan in free agency as a low-cost, high-upside signing.
Potential destinations: Jacksonville, St. Louis

Running Backs

Michael Bush - A power back that can also catch the ball as well as most tight ends will draw plenty of interest from teams. Bush probably should be paired with a speed back, but is capable of carrying the bulk of the workload.
Potential destinations: Atlanta, Cincinnati

Peyton Hillis - Free agent? More like secret agent. Hillis has the brand name, but no team is going to pay him the kind of money he wants. Another power back type, he will be forced to settle as the market dwindles.
Potential destinations: Cleveland, New York Jets

Mike Tolbert - This is the year for power backs on the market. Tolbert is a great third-down guy, and someone who can punch it in from the one-yard line.
Potential destinations: Baltimore, Kansas City

Kevin Smith - Health is a question for Smith, but at 25 years old, he should entice some teams with his effort in 2011. He could be a bargain.
Potential destinations: Detroit, Pittsburgh

Offensive Linemen

Carl Nicks - Nicks wants to be the highest paid guard in the league. There is no denying his talent, and he would be an improvement on almost any interior line in the league.
Potential destinations: Chicago, Dallas, New Orleans

Ben Grubbs - This is a good year for free agent guards. Baltimore would really like to have Grubbs back in the fold.
Potential destinations: Baltimore, Chicago, Dallas

Jared Gaither - Tackles are very hard to find in free agency. Gaither is a rarity who can play on the left side, but he has serious injury issues that teams will have to account for if they sign him.
Potential destinations: San Diego

Eric Winston - A late addition to the list, Winston was cut by the Texans on Monday. He fits best in a zone blocking scheme.
Potential destinations: Washington

Defensive Linemen

Mario Williams - Peyton Manning will get all the headlines, but Williams is the best free agent to hit the market in a long, long time. Pure pass rushers in the prime of their careers are worth every penny.
Potential destinations: Chicago, Seattle, Tennessee

Paul Soliai - Nose tackles are always a valuable commodity. He upgrades a run defense and has the moves to be disruptive inside.
Potential destinations: Kansas City, San Diego

Jeremy Mincey - The Jaguars defensive end finally found his game last season, totaling eight sacks. Jacksonville would be wise to re-sign him, but Mincey's asking price will not be in line with his career performance.
Potential destinations: Buffalo, Jacksonville, Miami

Jason Jones - Just 26, Jones was quietly one of the best three-technique pass rushers in the game. Then the Titans moved him to the outside in 2011, where his play suffered.
Potential destinations: Philadelphia, St. Louis

Linebackers

Kamerion Wimbley - Oakland could not afford to keep Wimbley around this season. He has 16 sacks in his last two seasons of play, and will likely be the second-highest paid pass rusher in free agency, after Williams.
Potential destinations: Arizona, San Diego, Cleveland

Stephen Tulloch - One of the best middle linebackers in the game, Tulloch could instantly upgrade a team like the Eagles that suffered because of linebacker play last year.
Potential destinations: Philadelphia, Tampa Bay

David Hawthorne - This is a deep pool of inside linebacker talent. Hawthorne is limited to a two-down player, but he is quite good in that role, making ball carriers pay with powerful hits.
Potential destinations: Detroit, Philadelphia

Curtis Lofton - Too rich for Atlanta's blood, Lofton is seeking a hefty deal on the market. Tampa Bay is suddenly flush with cap space and a mandated spending floor. They are expected to pursue a middle linebacker and do something else with Mason Foster.
Potential destinations: Philadelphia, Tampa Bay
Cornerbacks

Brandon Carr - A big corner who excels in press coverage, Carr can expect teams to shower him with money. Dallas really needs help at cornerback.
Potential destinations: Dallas, Minnesota

Cortland Finnegan - Another corner due for a big pay day, the Rams and new head coach Jeff Fisher will be interested in a reunion after cutting the team's best cornerback, Ron Bartell, on Monday. Finnegan is capable of playing in the slot as well as on the outside.
Potential destinations: St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Dallas

Carols Rogers - Being 31 years old will limit how much Rogers makes this year. Maybe not by much, as teams will be enticed by his six interceptions last year.
Potential destinations: Atlanta, San Francisco, Tennessee

Tracy Porter - Hardly elite, Porter can still be effective in the right system. He might be better working the slot.
Potential destinations: Atlanta, Oakland

Safeties

LaRon Landry - Comically oversized biceps aside, Landry is a big risk given his injury history. He could also be a big reward for a team willing to take the chance, if they are capable of keeping him on the field.
Potential destinations: Chicago, New York Jets

Dwight Lowery - Jacksonville's secondary is not good enough to lose a free safety with good coverage skills. His limited resume could hold down his asking price.
Potential destinations: Minnesota, New England, New York Jets

Oshiomogho Atogwe - A bloody Monday casualty in Washington, Atogwe has value as a free ranging centerfielder. He was benched late in the year.
Potential destinations: New York Jets, Oakland

Last edited by BigRatt on Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:01 pm

Lets get in on at 3p.m.! I hope they nab Eric Winston and Paul Solai today. That could free us up in so many ways to do alot of things!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:20 pm

Another Update On Chiefs Salary Cap Numbers Entering Free Agency

Headshot_tiny by Joel Thorman on Mar 13, 2012 11:15 AM CDT in 2012 KC Chiefs Free Agency

On Sunday we passed along updated salary cap numbers for the Kansas City Chiefs and today the NFL Network has even more updated numbers. According to Jason La Canfora, the Chiefs currently have $22.3 million in salary cap space. These numbers are as of Tuesday morning, according to the report.

That seems quite a bit lower than the original $63 million earlier this year. The Chiefs paid out a lot of bonuses and what not that were earned last year, which took the cap down to the $37 million range. KC has also signed Stanford Routt and Amon Gordon. They also applied the $9.5 million franchise tag to Dwayne Bowe and applied a second round tender ($1.972 million) to Jovan Belcher. The Chiefs also saved about $1.7 million in cap space by releasing Demorrio Williams.

The salary cap is easily the most confusing part of the NFL and the number is constantly changing so it's hard to keep track of it. Relative to the rest of the league, this puts the Chiefs at No. 10 in salary cap space.

Expect that number to change quickly, whether it rises with a surprise release or decreases by signing other teams free agents.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:21 pm

The cap shrank in a hurry!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another Free Agency Thread   

Back to top Go down