ARROWHEAD DRIVE

Best source for up to the minute Chiefs news, updates, rumors, and inside information!

Home  Calendar  FAQ  Usergroups  ArcadeArcade  Register  Log in  
Poll
Who is it?
 Geno Smith
 Luke Joekel
 Domontre Moore
 Jarvis Jones
 Manti Te'o
 Star Lotulelei
 Tyler Wilson
 Other
View results
Latest topics
» Naruto Shippuden Season 5 (English Dub)
Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:05 pm by tamger

» Jordi-nio-polla-dscargar-gratis
Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:23 pm by tamger

» Rihanna Russian Roulette
Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:06 pm by tamger

» Bitdefender Total Security 2015 License Key And Serial Key
Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:19 am by tamger

» Psiphon For 64bit Windows 7
Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:06 am by tamger

Advertisement

Share | 

Sounds Like Changes Are Coming To The Chiefs Offensive Line

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Sounds Like Changes Are Coming To The Chiefs Offensive Line    Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:23 pm

by Joel Thorman on Jan 11, 2012 6:10 PM CST

Kansas City Chiefs GM Scott Pioli was onto another interview this morning here in KC with Bob Fescoe and Bob Josh Klinger of 610 Sports. They talked about what everyone else talks about in the offseason -- coaching staff changes, the free agency and the NFL draft.

One part of the spot (which you can listen to here) did stand out to me though. Josh asked if there was any sort of priority list as we enter free agency in March and then the draft in April.

"We have to get better on the offensive line somehow, some way," Pioli told Fescoe and Klingler. "We don't know who's going to be here and who's not. We have a long list in free agency. We have to improve our offensive line. We have to improve the depth of the football team."

He followed that up by saying the Chiefs have to get better at every position but I did take notice he pointed out the offensive line specifically.

I think we could see anywhere from 1-3 changes at offensive line heading into 2012. Wiegmann figures to retire, although that's not decided yet so we don't really know. There are surprise cuts every year -- Ryan Lilja? Maybe if they found someone in free agency or the draft that is an upgrade over him. Right tackle is a position we've put on the "needs" list for about a decade. I think the only guys you can say are for-sure safe would be Branden Albert and Jon Asamoah.

"I don't think there's any position on this team where you can say we're really good and we're safe," Pioli continued. "Take, for instance, last year we headed into the season feeling pretty good about the safety situation and then all of a sudden you turn around and Eric Berry is hurt, Kendrick Lewis is hurt at different times and then your third safety's hurt. I don't think there is any position where we can say we're set."

We've heard Romeo Crennel say the Chiefs need to get better depth on the team as well. I think that'll be something you'll always need to improve at some position but it seems like it's an emphasis this year (like 2010 was the year of adding more speed).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Sounds Like Changes Are Coming To The Chiefs Offensive Line    Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:25 pm

Bout damn time! Let get it on!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Sounds Like Changes Are Coming To The Chiefs Offensive Line    Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:23 am

Really shit the bet letting Gaither and Waters go. I know I'm a broken record on that. Especially Gaither since Waters and Weigmann were both getting up there anyways.

Albert, Hudson, and Aso are here to stay. Richardson is a first round talent, but doesn't have the best head on his shoulders but I think his biggest problem is he is better off with a power running style rather than the pulling and spread out style Haley preferred. Lilja usually starts off strong but doesn't finish the season playing as well.

All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Sounds Like Changes Are Coming To The Chiefs Offensive Line    Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:44 pm

The best upgrade we can get at RT will be available in the draft more than likely. Reiff of Martin might be available when we pick.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Sounds Like Changes Are Coming To The Chiefs Offensive Line    Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:01 pm

from kcchiefs.com

What’s Next

An overhaul of the offensive line looks to be in store for 2012 with Casey Wiegmann likely to retire, Barry Richardson set to hit free agency and general manager Scott Pioli telling a local radio station last week that, “We have to improve our offensive line.”

So what’s next?

Rodney Hudson was an All-American guard at Florida State and started one game at left guard in place of an injured Ryan Lilja last season, but Hudson still looks like the leading candidate to take over as the team’s starting center next year.

Of course, if a proven center gains the Chiefs interest in free agency, it isn’t out of the question to think Hudson might find a home at guard next season.

The tackle situation could go a number of different directions. It’s worth nothing that Branden Albert never took a rep at right tackle last season, even with the signing of Jared Gaither. Of course, Gaither never made a true push for playing time at either tackle position.

We know there will be change. We’re just not sure where.

Story You Missed

It’s widely known that Rodney Hudson is viewed as the heir-apparent at center to Casey Wiegmann, but those plans were even more obvious inside the Chiefs locker room.

Hudson’s locker was strategically placed next to Wiegmann’s and the rookie often sat on his locker stool to pick the veteran’s football mind following practices. Wiegmann made it a point to pass on as much knowledge as he could to the promising rookie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Sounds Like Changes Are Coming To The Chiefs Offensive Line    Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:03 pm

Wiegs is a class act.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Sounds Like Changes Are Coming To The Chiefs Offensive Line    Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:32 pm

There's some pretty good guards in free agency, sign one to play LG. Leave Albert at LT. Asomoah at RG. Then draft a RT in the first. resign Richardson for another year or two be be our swing tackle. Lilja can be a swing guard. Then bring in a veteran C to backup Hudson and add more leadership to the OL in the locker room and on the sidelines...

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Sounds Like Changes Are Coming To The Chiefs Offensive Line    Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:02 am

RustShack wrote:
There's some pretty good guards in free agency, sign one to play LG. Leave Albert at LT. Asomoah at RG. Then draft a RT in the first. resign Richardson for another year or two be be our swing tackle. Lilja can be a swing guard. Then bring in a veteran C to backup Hudson and add more leadership to the OL in the locker room and on the sidelines...

Grubbs or Nicks I could be down for in a minute. Only OT i like that high is Martin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sounds Like Changes Are Coming To The Chiefs Offensive Line    

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1