ARROWHEAD DRIVE

Best source for up to the minute Chiefs news, updates, rumors, and inside information!

Home  Calendar  FAQ  Usergroups  ArcadeArcade  Register  Log in  
Poll
Who is it?
 Geno Smith
 Luke Joekel
 Domontre Moore
 Jarvis Jones
 Manti Te'o
 Star Lotulelei
 Tyler Wilson
 Other
View results
Latest topics
» Naruto Shippuden Season 5 (English Dub)
Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:05 pm by tamger

» Jordi-nio-polla-dscargar-gratis
Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:23 pm by tamger

» Rihanna Russian Roulette
Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:06 pm by tamger

» Bitdefender Total Security 2015 License Key And Serial Key
Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:19 am by tamger

» Psiphon For 64bit Windows 7
Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:06 am by tamger

Advertisement

Share | 

Kyle Orton is heading to Kansas City.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
OutlawChief
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Kyle Orton is heading to Kansas City.   Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:55 pm

Orton, the quarterback who was waived by the Broncos on Tuesday, was picked up by the Chiefs today, according to multiple reports. With Matt Cassel out for the season, Orton shouldn’t need much time to move ahead of Tyler Palko on the depth chart and become the starter in Kansas City.

The development is bad news for the Bears, who reportedly wanted to bring Orton in after Jay Cutler suffered a broken thumb. The Bears will now go with Caleb Hanie until Cutler is healthy.

We don’t yet know how many teams put in claims for Orton. It could make sense for teams competing with the Bears for a wild-card berth — like the Lions, Falcons, Cowboys and Giants — to put in a claim on Orton just to block him from going to the Bears. But that’s now a moot point: The team that took Orton is a team that desperately needs to improve at the quarterback position in a hurry.

Despite reports that Orton didn’t want to go to the Chiefs, he won’t have much choice: The Chiefs own his rights. Now we’ll see whether he can get things going in Kansas City in time to help them compete for the AFC West — including a big game in Denver in Week 17.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Kyle Orton is heading to Kansas City.   Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:03 pm

Good good. Palko actually didn't look bad, and I was interested to see if Stanzi would get any playing time this year... but I'd take Orton over Cassel. He was great under McDaniels who runs the same offense we do..

All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Kyle Orton is heading to Kansas City.   Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:03 pm

APDespite a report from a certain bespectacled professor that quarterback Kyle Orton was trying to get the word out that he didn’t want the Chiefs to claim him on waivers, Orton’s first comments in recent days indicate that the veteran quarterback doesn’t sound upset about the manner in which the dominoes have fallen.

“Just wanted everybody to hear it from me first,” Orton said via the Gridiron Grunts application. “I am happy to be a part of the Kansas City Chiefs. I got claimed today. I am excited about the last few days and I am looking forward to getting to know my teammates with the Chiefs.”

Per a league source, three teams made a waivers claim for Orton: the Chiefs, Cowboys, and Bears. Orton reportedly asked to be cut by the Broncos so that he could play in Chicago.

The Chiefs now have to figure out whether they’re better off against the Steelers on Sunday night with Tyler Palko or Orton at quarterback.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Kyle Orton is heading to Kansas City.   Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:17 pm

I guess if he leads us to some wins and returns to form. Matt Cassell will probally be out the door. Orton owns Cassell in about every aspect. He has a quicker release and is a hell of alot more accurate. I read hes the 4th rated passer in the deep ball. Orton should help the O line and the Defense. I feel sorry for the D, they have been on the field so damn much this year. Wouldn't be surprised to see us win some games now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Kyle Orton is heading to Kansas City.   Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:46 pm

All Chiefs fans I know hate it.. but if Haley's version of the Ernhardt-Perkins offense is very close to the version of it McDaneils ran he could easily step in and start next week. I'm guessing its still Palko, but I wouldn't be shocked.

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Kyle Orton is heading to Kansas City.   Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:58 pm

Orton in his two years in our offense-

62.1% 3,802 yards 21 TD 12 INT 86.8 Rating 7.0 YPA
58.8% 3,653 yards 20 TD 9 INT 87.5 Rating 7.3 YPA

Cassel those same last two years in the same system with better cast-

55.0% 2,924 yards 16 TD 16 INT 69.9 Rating 5.93 YPA
58.2% 3,116 yards 27 TD 7 INT 93.0 Rating 6.92 YPA

Mod Lord
Mod Lord

PostSubject: Re: Kyle Orton is heading to Kansas City.   Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:18 am

And just like that..we obtained a QB better than Cassel without trading any high draft picks. Orton blows Cassel out of the water and I've always felt that way. One of Ortons biggest strengths is the deep ball..and we have 2 WRs that love the deep ball with Baldwin and Breaston. The Chiefs fans that hate this move only hate him because of where he came from. The guy can ball. I know for a fact this offense is gonna play 10x better with a decent QB. Its also gonna help that he doesnt have anyone riding his ass or getting hated on by the fans despite being the better QB like he was in Denver.

All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Kyle Orton is heading to Kansas City.   Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:14 am

I know I dont post on here much anymore but, I fuckin love this move. This gives us a fighting chance at the playoffs. Plus it lets us see if something better than Cassel is out there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Kyle Orton is heading to Kansas City.   Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:57 am

chiefbravebull wrote:
I know I dont post on here much anymore but, I fuckin love this move. This gives us a fighting chance at the playoffs. Plus it lets us see if something better than Cassel is out there.

From the stance of always wanting to see the Chiefs win, I love it to. I dont like it so much from the standpoint of drafting a QB like RG3 this year though. Come back and post more often
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Kyle Orton is heading to Kansas City.   Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:01 pm

RustShack wrote:

That shows they are pretty even except the yards. Since hes been in Denver, I always thought he was a pretty accurate QB. I think Cassells numbers are skewed by the short dumpoffs where as Orton goes down the field more. Nonetheless, I like his quick release and think he will keep the Chiefs on the field.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Kyle Orton is heading to Kansas City.   Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:03 pm

[quote="BigRatt"]
RustShack wrote:

That shows they are pretty even except the yards. Since hes been in Denver, I always thought he was a pretty accurate QB. I think Cassells numbers are skewed by the short dumpoffs where as Orton goes down the field more. Nonetheless, I like his quick release and think he will keep the Chiefs on the field. I'm excited to see what he can do with this group of WRs.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Kyle Orton is heading to Kansas City.   Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:10 pm

The Kansas City Chiefs claimed former Denver Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton on waivers Wednesday.

Orton was released by Denver on Tuesday, six weeks after he was benched following a 1-4 start. The former Chicago Bears starter, who passed for 3,000 yards each of his first two seasons in Denver, became expendable when the Broncos opted to go with Tim Tebow as their starter.

The Chiefs will be responsible for approximately $2.5 million remaining on Orton's nearly $8.9 million salary this season, but they had plenty of space under the salary cap to make the move.

Orton can become a free agent after this season.

"We have consistently communicated that we are always looking to create competition and depth within our team," Chiefs coach Todd Haley said late Wednesday. "We feel adding Kyle to our roster reinforces that goal and we look forward to having him as a member of the Chiefs."

The Chicago Bears and Dallas Cowboys also put in waiver claims for Orton.

He's expected to report to the Chiefs on Thursday, though it's unlikely that he'll be up to speed in time for Sunday's game against Pittsburgh.

If that's the case, Tyler Palko will make his second consecutive start. He was 24 of 37 for 230 yards and three interceptions in his first NFL start, a 34-3 loss to New England on Monday night.

"He never had a look that disturbed me before, after, during the game," coach Todd Haley said of Palko. "I know playing that position, there's no greater test, and getting thrown in to the fire on Monday night and, oh, by the way, six days later playing Pittsburgh, it doesn't get any harder."

Now it appears that Palko will have to fend off Orton to keep the starting job.

"Todd told me after practice that they claimed Kyle, and that's really it," Palko said. "He didn't tell me either way (about starting). Just full speed ahead for Pittsburgh.

"I've been the practice squad quarterback, I've been the No. 3, the No. 2, and the starter last week," Palko added. "I prepare the same way, with the same intensity, and that hasn't changed. I've never wavered or changed my mentality."

The Chiefs waived wide receiver Keary Colbert, who surprisingly earned a job out of training camp after spending three years away from the NFL, to make room on the roster for Orton. Colbert appeared in seven games this season, making nine catches for 89 yards.

Orton, a former Purdue star, was a fourth-round draft pick and appeared on the way to stardom when he assumed the Bears' starting job for 15 games as a rookie, winning 10 of them.

Often saddled with a reputation for being moody, Orton was demoted his second season in favor of veteran Brian Griese. He earned the starting job back late in 2007 and started 15 games for the Bears in 2008, passing for 2,972 yards with 18 touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

"He was a really good player," said Chiefs running back Thomas Jones, who played with Orton in Chicago. "He's a real good teammate."

His stock never higher, Orton was traded along with a package of draft picks to Denver for Pro Bowl quarterback Jay Cutler. In a curious twist of fate, it was an injury to Cutler that sparked Chicago's interest in claiming its former starter off waivers.

Cutler broke the thumb on his right throwing hand last weekend and might miss the rest of the regular season with the injury. His backup is Caleb Hanie. Chicago signed veteran Josh McCown Wednesday afternoon after losing out on their claim for Orton.

The Cowboys' decision to put the claim in on Orton speaks to their level of concern regarding backup Jon Kitna's back injury. Kitna will miss his second straight game when the Cowboys play Miami on Thursday and there is no timetable for a possible return.

Orton excelled his first two seasons in Denver in an offense run by Josh McDaniels, throwing for 7,455 yards and 41 touchdowns with 21 interceptions.

McDaniels was fired late last season, though, and while Orton remained the starter when John Fox took over, this season got off to a bumpy start. Denver lost four of its first five games, and Fox eventually went with Tebow as his starter, effectively demoting Orton to the third string.

Orton's career numbers bear a striking resemblance to those of Cassel, who was hurt near the end of the Chiefs' 17-10 loss to Denver two weeks ago. Orton's completed about 58 percent of his passes while making 66 career starts, with 79 touchdowns and 55 interceptions.

Cassel has started 54 games, completing 59 percent of his throws with 76 TDs and 46 picks.

The Chiefs, who are in the midst of a three-game skid that has threatened to eliminate them from contention in the AFC West, will try to get Orton up to speed quickly.

After facing the Steelers on Sunday night, they visit Chicago and the New York Jets, before returning home to face the defending Super Bowl champion Green Bay. A division game against Oakland follows before wrapping up the season at Denver, a game that suddenly has a few more story lines.

"Good for him. Congratulations to him. That will be fun to play him the last game of the year," Tebow said after learning that Orton had been claimed by Kansas City. "Obviously he knows (Denver's offense) pretty well, so he could probably give away a few things, but I think we'll be OK."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Kyle Orton is heading to Kansas City.   Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:12 pm

"Orton's completed about 58 percent of his passes while making 66 career starts, with 79 touchdowns and 55 interceptions."

"Cassel has started 54 games, completing 59 percent of his throws with 76 TDs and 46 picks."

Thats interesting
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Kyle Orton is heading to Kansas City.   Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:19 pm

Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. said he liked the Chiefs’ gumption.

“He is certainly an improvement and very familiar with the division,” Williamson said. “Seems like a bit of a desperation move from guys that might be on the hot seat, but, I guess, I can’t condemn it too much. He fits their offense as they run first and then he can take some shots to [Dwayne] Bowe.”

It may be a stretch to think Orton will be enough to push the staggering Chiefs back into the race. But he is a professional passer who has some decent weapons to throw to. Thus, the Chiefs will be better with Orton than without him. Maybe Orton is the missing link in Kansas City. After all, who could have predicted anything that has happened in this division this season?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OutlawChief
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Kyle Orton is heading to Kansas City.   Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:22 am

It's an interesting situation. Todd already named Palko starter against the Steelers. So we will have to wait another week to see what he loos like in are offense. To bad I get to watch the Chief game with bunch of Steeler fans from work lol. Should be fun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Touchdown Bowe
Mod Lord
Mod Lord

PostSubject: Re: Kyle Orton is heading to Kansas City.   Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:53 pm

McDaniels old offense and Haleys offense are basically the same. Orton should be suited up and could even see some playing time if Palko goes down. Not a difficult transition. Bowe, Baldwin, and Breaston all have to be pumped.

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Kyle Orton is heading to Kansas City.   Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:07 pm

Hopefully hes ready to go by next week. But I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up seeing some snaps this weekend.

Mod Lord
Mod Lord

PostSubject: Re: Kyle Orton is heading to Kansas City.   Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:57 pm

This might honestly be the best offense that Orton has ever been in. He has never had BIG, FAST recievers like Bowe and Baldwin. Then we have a game changer like McCluster out of the backfield. Breaston in the slot.. I mean outside of Barry Richardson and the QB position we have ELITE talent on this team. If Orton is still our QB next season when we get Moiaki and Charles and more draft picks back this team will be making some noise!

All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Kyle Orton is heading to Kansas City.   Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:23 pm

Well Palko better show something tonight. Because if we keep Orton then Palko would be the odd man out I assume. And I still don't see Cassel going anywhere next year. So if we keep Orton no QB draft pick either.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Kyle Orton is heading to Kansas City.   Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:20 pm

I'd rather Palko not show something, and Orton take over tonight.

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Kyle Orton is heading to Kansas City.   Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:36 pm

But hes inactive. Palko and this offense are marching though this first drive1

Mod Lord
Mod Lord

PostSubject: Re: Kyle Orton is heading to Kansas City.   Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:03 am

Im just gonna say it now. Kyle Orton is the best QB we've had since Green. You can back Cassel all you want, but its the truth. Our offense has been crippled ever since Cassel became a Chief. Now that our coaching staff is gonna be comfortable with a guy who can throw 10+ yards down field, were really gonna see what this passing offense can do. If Orton is retained, and Cassel is starting over him next season, I might just cry. Cassel needs to be gone ASAP and Orton needs to be signed to a semi cheap contract.

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Kyle Orton is heading to Kansas City.   Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:26 pm

Touchdown Bowe wrote:
Im just gonna say it now. Kyle Orton is the best QB we've had since Green. You can back Cassel all you want, but its the truth. Our offense has been crippled ever since Cassel became a Chief. Now that our coaching staff is gonna be comfortable with a guy who can throw 10+ yards down field, were really gonna see what this passing offense can do. If Orton is retained, and Cassel is starting over him next season, I might just cry. Cassel needs to be gone ASAP and Orton needs to be signed to a semi cheap contract.

I hope your right, by the numbers they are pretty much the same kind of QB. Orton has a few more yards, Completion %, TD and Ints are similiar. From watching Orton, I have always thought him to be an accurate QB. I dont think he has ever had WRs like ours to work with. I think Cassells numbers are skewed abit by all the short checkdowns. All that being said, I'm ready to see what Orton can do. Hopefully he can be our Palmer because Carson had a hell of a game yesterday. If Orton can come in and throw in the 250 range consistantly and a couple of TDs we can win a whole lot of games this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Kyle Orton is heading to Kansas City.   Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:33 pm

This Is How Bad The Chiefs Quarterback Situation Has Become

A few hours before the Kansas City Chiefs Week 11 game against the New England Patriots, they placed QB Matt Cassel on injured reserve, officially ending his season, which left the Chiefs with QB Tyler Palko and Ricky Stanzi on the roster.

Chiefs coach Todd Haley has publicly backed his quarterbacks but it was clear after Palko's first game that the Chiefs should consider looking for another quarterback. We know now that they found that quarterback in Orton but the KC Star provides us a glimpse of how bad the Chiefs apparently thought their situation was before Orton became available.

Kent Babb answers the question of why Stanzi isn't getting his shot yet and includes this nugget:

The Chiefs simply believe the rookie quarterback Stanzi isn't yet ready to help the team, and they toyed with the idea of bringing back Brodie Croyle, the team's former backup passer, had Orton not become available. The Chiefs believe Stanzi has talent, but he's a long way from being a significant contributor.

That's how bad the Chiefs thought their quarterback situation was -- 0-10 Brodie Croyle! Let that sink in for a minute. I can not imagine the reception that move would have received.

Croyle, for his part, could be headed to Houston where rookie T.J. Yates is starting as the third man on the depth chart.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Kyle Orton is heading to Kansas City.   Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:34 pm

Stanzi must have a big hole in the middle of his head for them to believe hes not ready and consider bringing back Croyle! I dont understand why you dont throw Stanzi in for a quarter and see how he does. What the hell is there to lose? The season is beyond being fucked! The only way Oakland doesn't win the division is if Carson gets creamed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kyle Orton is heading to Kansas City.   

Back to top Go down

Kyle Orton is heading to Kansas City.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next