ARROWHEAD DRIVE

Best source for up to the minute Chiefs news, updates, rumors, and inside information!

Home  Calendar  FAQ  Usergroups  ArcadeArcade  Register  Log in  
Poll
Who is it?
 Geno Smith
 Luke Joekel
 Domontre Moore
 Jarvis Jones
 Manti Te'o
 Star Lotulelei
 Tyler Wilson
 Other
View results
Latest topics
» Naruto Shippuden Season 5 (English Dub)
Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:05 pm by tamger

» Jordi-nio-polla-dscargar-gratis
Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:23 pm by tamger

» Rihanna Russian Roulette
Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:06 pm by tamger

» Bitdefender Total Security 2015 License Key And Serial Key
Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:19 am by tamger

» Psiphon For 64bit Windows 7
Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:06 am by tamger

Advertisement

Share | 

Aaron "Jesus" Curry

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Aaron "Jesus" Curry   Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:46 pm

Aaron Curry’s contract drops from six years to four

Posted by Mike Florio on August 22, 2011, 4:21 PM EDT

Getty ImagesFor three of the top 11 players taken in the 2009 draft, last week was a bad, bad week.

The Bills cut Aaron Maybin (No. 11), who received a curious hero’s welcome in New York after clearing waivers. Also, the Bengals opted not to pick up the option
on tackle Andre Smith, reducing his rookie contract from six years to
four. The Bengals avoided a $4.75 million option bonus. (Curiously,
the contract didn’t have the standard “non-exercise fee,” which would
have forced the Bengals to cut or trade Smith in order to avoid the
payment.)

Then there Seahawks linebacker Aaron Curry.
The fourth overall pick in 2009, a league source tells us that Curry
recently agreed to a new deal that cuts his rookie contract from six
years to four. It will make Curry an unrestricted free agent after the
2012 season.

In return for early freedom, Curry gave up $5 million in guaranteed
money that he’s due to earn in 2012. It suggests that 2011 will be a
make-or-break season for Curry.

All in all, the first 11 players taken in 2009 have had more misses than hits. Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford (No. 1 overall) has shown real potential, but he has had too many injuries. Rams tackle Jason Smith,
the second pick and presumably the new Orlando Pace, was bumped last
year to the right side in 2010. Chiefs defensive lineman Tyson Jackson
has been unspectacular at No. 3 — but in light of the other guys taken
around him, we now understand why G.M. Scott Pioli said in April that he’d take Tyson Jackson in that spot all over again.

Raiders receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey has been a disappointment at No. 7, and 49ers wideout Michael Crabtree hasn’t come close to living up to his potential at No. 10.

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Aaron "Jesus" Curry   Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:48 pm

I've said it 100 times. Nine out of ten years the Jackson pick would be bad. But it was just a shitty draft and it didn't matter who we drafted. Too bad there wasn't the rookie pay scale at the time either.

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Aaron "Jesus" Curry   Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:19 pm

Let's start with Aaron Curry, the fourth overall pick in the draft, two years pro now. Has he lived up to his draft position? No, he has not. Is he a bust? Again, I say no, but I clarify it with an additional statement: not yet.

Curry has underperformed thus far, and as far as draft picks go, one has to wonder if we would have been smarter to pick Clay Matthews or Brian Orakpo (a personal favorite of mine) instead of Curry by trading down and also gathering more picks in that draft. It was a rebuilding year, and a natural question is whether or not it was smart to attempt to strengthen what was considered our largest strength to begin with.

Was it the right pick at the time? I think so. Looking back, was it still? I hesitate to answer but say yes, it was. Curry has shown flashes of brilliance in his time playing in the league. Has he made rookie mistakes? Yes, and they continued into his second year. He also was benched by Mora the first year in a foolish move that cost him experience and confidence going forward, but that is another story entirely.

Curry is a physical freak, the kind that Al Davis drools over. But he seems to lack the knowledge of the game that one looks for in a leader of a defense. At No. 4 overall, a linebacker should possess that. In that sense, Curry is a bust.

However, if the pressure is removed from him, if he is given an assignment or asked to blitz, Curry shines, and when decisions do not need to be made by him, he excels and his physical gifts are put on display. He flies to the ball carrier and (though sometimes he lapses and misses a tackle) punishes whoever that person might be.

I think he could be the perfect LEO end if he were to add to his frame, but at this point and time, his instincts do not seem conducive of being the outside linebacker in our defense (though they are improving.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Aaron "Jesus" Curry   Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:20 pm

that 2nd to last paragraph kind of reminds me of another young linebacker we were talking about in 2009 by the name of Derrick Johnson. Some of these kids it just takes awhile. Curry may be in the wrong scheme. Had we drafted Curry and put him inside in the 3-4 verses him being an OLB in the 4-3, who knows, we might not even be having this conversation.

Last edited by BigRatt on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Aaron "Jesus" Curry   Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:23 pm

When Derrick Johnson fell to the Chiefs in the 2005 NFL Draft I nearly fell out of my chair. His NCAA accolades were mesmerizing. His speed thrilled me. His 9 forced fumbles his final year at Texas were an NCAA record.

Here's a little more about him coming out of Texas:

Derrick Johnson is the top-ranked linebacker in the draft, with the hardware to support such standing. Johnson's haul included the Bronko Nagurski Trophy as the nation's top defensive player, The Butkus Award as the nation's top linebacker and the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year award. After setting an NCAA record with nine forced fumbles in 2004, he became the first Texas defender since Tommy Nobis to earn first-team All-America honors.

Can't miss prospect, right? Well, not so much.

Those that claim he's a bust aren't necessarily saying he's a bad player. Because he's not. He's been average to above average his entire career (72 tackles and 3 sacks per year average). But for the 15th pick in the draft, you're looking for a Jonathan Vilma (12th overall pick in 2004) or a DeMarcus Ware (11th overall in 2005). Though those players line up in different positions within the linebacker position group, both have made a bigger impact for their respective teams than Johnson (and both made the Pro Bowl their second year).

Johnson is entering the final year of his rookie contract. What's next for DJ?

Trade Him

I'm not a fan of this move. He's demonstrated an ability to play competently even though the flashes of the Texas Derrick Johnson don't appear frequently. He has some value on the trade market, but realistically this wouldn't be worth it.

For some perspective, Jonathan Vilma (drafted 1 year earlier), was traded to the Saints for a conditional 4th round pick that could escalate to a 2nd round pick if he hit certain incentives*. Vilma's position, middle linebacker, has a higher value than Johnson's, strongside linebacker (although he played weakside at Texas and has generally looked better on that side).

*Vilma also lost value because the Jets switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 when Eric Mangini arrived. He lost a ton of playing time in his last year with the Jets and most teams knew he would be traded which decreased his value.

So, Derrick Johnson has done less statistically and plays a position on the linebacking corps with less value than Vilma, who was traded for a conditional 4th rounder. With this comparison, I would place Johnson's value in the same ballpark, but probably closer a true 4th round pick (without realistically achievable incentives that could push it higher).

Does anyone think we can find a player with a similar production value to Johnson in the 4th round of the draft? Not me.

Re-sign Him

With a projected $45 million in cap room in 2009, the Chiefs will have the option of re-signing Johnson to a long term deal this coming season. With a base salary of $1.5 million in the final year of his deal and a looming cap-less year in 2010, the Chiefs can throw plenty of guaranteed money at him in 2009 that will keep him around for a few years but at a discounted rate on the final years of the deal.

Another caveat to this whole contract situation is a change in the Collective Bargaining Agreement in the event of a cap-less 2010 season. Previously, a player had to accrue 4 years of service to become an unrestricted free agent. However, a cap-less year would turn that number to 6 years meaning he would be a restricted free agent (Translation: teams would be able to match the contract offer sheet we gave him but would in turn give up draft picks to the Chiefs for the right to sign him).

Let Him Walk After 2009

This isn't an appealing scenario because you always want to get value for a player if he's just going to be around for one more season. I don't see this situation popping up with the Chiefs. He's certainly a serviceable player who has a role with the Chiefs.

Should He Stay Or Should He Go?

Derrick Johnson should stay with the Chiefs. While he may not have lived up to the billing that was bestowed upon him as a 1st round pick, he's still a decent player albeit with a ceiling that seems to be diminishing each season.

The question really comes down to: What player or what draft pick is a better option than Derrick Johnson at this point? Currently, the Chiefs have no better option.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kcchiefs
Mod Lord
Mod Lord

PostSubject: Re: Aaron "Jesus" Curry   Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:51 pm

You know DJ was an alternate for the pro-bowl last year, right?? Ill take that.

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Aaron "Jesus" Curry   Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:10 pm

kcchiefs wrote:
You know DJ was an alternate for the pro-bowl last year, right?? Ill take that.

That article was from 2009 before Johnson broke out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kcchiefs
Mod Lord
Mod Lord

PostSubject: Re: Aaron "Jesus" Curry   Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:22 pm

Ohh.. My bad.

All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Aaron "Jesus" Curry   Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:09 pm

I would love for the Chiefs to be the team that gives him a shot in the 3-4. Too bad we can't have him this year after losing Siler!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Aaron "Jesus" Curry   Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:31 pm

FatThucker wrote:
I would love for the Chiefs to be the team that gives him a shot in the 3-4. Too bad we can't have him this year after losing Siler!

I think Curry and DJ together would be amazing! But it aint gonna happen!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FknRuehh925
n00b cake
n00b cake

PostSubject: Re: Aaron "Jesus" Curry   Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:50 pm

The year we took Jackson...I wanted orakpo soooooo bad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Aaron "Jesus" Curry   Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:46 pm

FknRuehh925 wrote:
The year we took Jackson...I wanted orakpo soooooo bad

Orakpo, Matthews, Raji, would have all been nice. But its after the fact.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FatThucker
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Aaron "Jesus" Curry   Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:27 pm

In a redraft, I'd have Jerod Mayo and Raji at the top of my wish list
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Touchdown Bowe
Mod Lord
Mod Lord

PostSubject: Re: Aaron "Jesus" Curry   Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:15 pm

Put Jacksons ass on the Atkins Diet..Slim him down to 265 or 270..Get his ass on a treadmill and make that mother fucker an outside linebacker!

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Aaron "Jesus" Curry   Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:41 am

or pioli just needs to admit he fucked up and drafted a piece of shit and cut him
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OutlawChief
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Aaron "Jesus" Curry   Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:26 pm

If this isn't a make or break year for Jackson. I wouldn't understand why. I wasn't happy about the pick when it happened, but held out hope. I mean if he doesn't produce this year we really have to move on, don't we?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Aaron "Jesus" Curry   Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:32 pm

If I'm right about the year I think many "experts" had us taking Raji before the draft. I think if Pioli had it to do over again he'd take Raji. his ego wont let him admit it though. He cant just say he fucked up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Aaron "Jesus" Curry   Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:33 pm

I'm willing to give a DL more than a year and a half.

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Aaron "Jesus" Curry   Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:53 pm

I would too if he was picked outside the top 10 where he should have been drafted.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Aaron "Jesus" Curry   Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:53 pm

"I have every expectation that Tyson Jackson is going to be the "breakout" player for our defense next season. It's in our best interests as a football team that Jackson consistently plays at the level he has shown flashes of over the last two seasons. I think he'll do that and I think he'll be a big part of the future of this defense. I wanted to consult our resident defensive guru on a few games but I found a great post that anyone who has not yet read it, should. MN does a great job breaking down Jackson's season and using Kalo's metrics shows us that when Jackson was on the field (not injured) he was very good. I expect that to continue next season and for him to become that dominating player we really need him to become."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Aaron "Jesus" Curry   Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:58 pm

When looking at GM Scott Pioli's tenure with the Kansas City Chiefs there's a pretty stark contrast between the early production of the 2009 and 2010 NFL drafts. His first draft in Kansas City -- just a few months after he was hired -- didn't produce much relative to the 2010 draft.

Pioli spoke about those two classes at a pre-draft press conference at Arrowhead Friday morning. Here are a few things I took out of it.

The jury is still out on Tyson Jackson. The Chiefs used the third overall pick on him and the reaction nearly two years later is that he's been average. Internally, Pioli says the Chiefs are still confident in what he can produce for the Chiefs.

"I look back to that draft and I would say that I think we do have a good player in Tyson Jackson," he said. "I know the jury is still out. We need to see that. I think everyone in our organization is pretty confident still that Tyson is going to be a good player."

That said, I'd imagine the 2011 season is a big one for Jackson (as it is for most third year players). When the third overall pick isn't a regular starter, I'd say you have some work to do. Publicly, though, the Chiefs aren't wavering on Jackson.

So would Pioli make the Tyson Jackson pick again? "I'd pick the same player again," he said. "Absolutely, absolutely."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Touchdown Bowe
Mod Lord
Mod Lord

PostSubject: Re: Aaron "Jesus" Curry   Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:32 am

Of course Pioli is going to tell the media he doesnt regret the pick. Whats he gonna say? "Oh fuck no, we should have went after Raji or Matthews. I fucked up." The fuckin media would tear him up and T-Jax would lose all confidence.

All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Aaron "Jesus" Curry   Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:39 am

Not only that, if Pioli even mentions any other player he gets fined by the NFL. And what the fuck is he supposed to do? Tell his starting DE that he's a piece of shit? That's Haley's job! It's like not moving Albert to RT. You just don't fuck with people's head like that, especially when you're still trying to get the most out of them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aaron "Jesus" Curry   

Back to top Go down

Aaron "Jesus" Curry
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1