ARROWHEAD DRIVE

Best source for up to the minute Chiefs news, updates, rumors, and inside information!

Home  Calendar  FAQ  Usergroups  ArcadeArcade  Register  Log in  
Poll
Who is it?
 Geno Smith
 Luke Joekel
 Domontre Moore
 Jarvis Jones
 Manti Te'o
 Star Lotulelei
 Tyler Wilson
 Other
View results
Latest topics
» Naruto Shippuden Season 5 (English Dub)
Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:05 pm by tamger

» Jordi-nio-polla-dscargar-gratis
Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:23 pm by tamger

» Rihanna Russian Roulette
Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:06 pm by tamger

» Bitdefender Total Security 2015 License Key And Serial Key
Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:19 am by tamger

» Psiphon For 64bit Windows 7
Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:06 am by tamger

Advertisement

Share | 

Owners approve three rule changes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Owners approve three rule changes   Tue May 24, 2011 11:09 pm

Owners approve three rules changes
E-mail | Print | Comments (1) Posted by Greg A. Bedard May 24, 2011 11:21 AM

By Greg A. Bedard, Globe staff

INDIANAPOLIS - NFL owners assembled here through Wednesday got their spring meeting going by unanimously approving three rules alterations in the area of player safety.

Here are the changes:

Rule 12, Section 2, Article 9: Adds some definitions to defenseless player rule, including a receiver “who has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contract of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player.” The change also now incorporates kickers/punters, quarterbacks after a change of possession, and a blindside block “when the player is moving toward his own endline and approaches the opponent from behind of from the side.”

Rule 12, Section 2, Article 8(j): “It is an illegal launch if a player (1) leaves both fee prior to contact to spring forward and upward into his opponent, and (2) uses any part of his helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/’hairline’ parts) to initiate forcible contact against any part of his opponent’s body.”

Rule 12, Section 2, Article 13: Hits to the head of a passer by an opponent’s hands, arms, or other parts of the body will not be fouls unless they are forcible blows.” (Rule clarification)

All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Owners approve three rule changes   Tue May 24, 2011 11:14 pm

The owner's seem to care about player safety. I bet the players bitch about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Owners approve three rule changes   Tue May 24, 2011 11:16 pm

I see the reasoning on making all these rules... but man I wish it wasn't becoming so pussy and all offense. Let them play football.

All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Owners approve three rule changes   Tue May 24, 2011 11:22 pm

As long as the rule is clarified enough for the refs to call it consistently, play shouldn't change much
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Owners approve three rule changes   Wed May 25, 2011 11:57 am

I wish they would let them play to. Before its over, the nfl will be a glorified flag league.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Owners approve three rule changes   Wed May 25, 2011 10:56 pm

Woodley upset that football is “turning soft”
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on May 25, 2011, 4:32 PM EDT
Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley celebrates after he sacked New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez in the second quarter during the NFL AFC Championship football game in Pittsburgh AP

LaMarr Woodley was only just getting started when he criticized the NFL via Twitter for the “Steelers Rule” which will fine teams for excessive player safety rules infractions.

“Man, they’re getting ridiculous. Football is turning soft now,” Woodley told Rich Gannon and Adam Schein on SiriusXM NFL Radio on Wednesday. “Too many fines. Too many penalties protecting the quarterback every single play. Defensive guys can’t be defensive guys no more.”

Woodley seems to believe that fines in general aren’t an effective deterrent.

“Man, I think it’s so stupid. I mean, it’s football. I mean, that’s what you signed up for. You signed up, when you played football you knew it was going to be an aggressive game. There’s a chance of you getting hurt and having serious injuries. So that’s what you signed up for.

“So I think having all the fines and penalties is stupid because it is taking away from the game. We knew what we were signing up for when we started playing football. We knew that. Everybody knows that. Every quarterback knows that. Roger Goodell knew that. I don’t know if he ever played football so maybe he don’t really understand the hard hitting of the sport,” Woodley said. (Goodell was the captain on his high school team.)

Ultimately, complaints about Goodell’s measures for player safety are to be expected. And they won’t make much of a difference. It sounds like fining teams won’t change Woodley’s approach.

“We didn’t get six Lombardis by playing soft football,” Woodley said. “We got them by playing aggressive football, hitting teams hard, and I don’t think that’ll ever change. I don’t care how many times we get fined, that’s just the way we play football. And that’s why we’re gonna keep racking up Lombardis, because that’s how we play football.”

Mod Lord
Mod Lord

PostSubject: Re: Owners approve three rule changes   Thu May 26, 2011 3:57 am

I just find it funny theyre making all these rules on player safety..then last year was one of the worst as far as the number of players who recieved concussions. Just let them play..injurys are not gonna be prevented no matter what rules we make..the games to fast to prevent concussions or any other injury.

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Owners approve three rule changes   Thu May 26, 2011 11:34 am

Injuries are apart of the game. They know what they are signing up for, and they make straight bank. Its high risk high reward.

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Owners approve three rule changes   Thu May 26, 2011 4:02 pm

They need to look at the new Bulwark helmets designed by Michael Princip to help limit concussions a little.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FatThucker
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Owners approve three rule changes   Thu May 26, 2011 5:48 pm

Touchdown Bowe wrote:
I just find it funny theyre making all these rules on player safety..then last year was one of the worst as far as the number of players who recieved concussions. Just let them play..injurys are not gonna be prevented no matter what rules we make..the games to fast to prevent concussions or any other injury.

The reason the number of concussions has gone up is that they are actually being diagnosed instead of dismissed. Along with rules regarding head injuries comes more accurate statistics about them. Along with these accurate statistics comes a need to change the way it's safety is handled. Especially if retired players are going to receive better health care with a new CBA.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Owners approve three rule changes   Thu May 26, 2011 8:42 pm

Also part of it is because their gear is becoming so much better, most of them just throw themselves around like human weapons now because they don't have to worry about hurting themselves anymore while laying a hit.

PostSubject: Re: Owners approve three rule changes   

Back to top Go down

Owners approve three rule changes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1