ARROWHEAD DRIVE

Best source for up to the minute Chiefs news, updates, rumors, and inside information!

Home  Calendar  FAQ  Usergroups  ArcadeArcade  Register  Log in  
Poll
Who is it?
 Geno Smith
 Luke Joekel
 Domontre Moore
 Jarvis Jones
 Manti Te'o
 Star Lotulelei
 Tyler Wilson
 Other
View results
Latest topics
» Naruto Shippuden Season 5 (English Dub)
Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:05 pm by tamger

» Jordi-nio-polla-dscargar-gratis
Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:23 pm by tamger

» Rihanna Russian Roulette
Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:06 pm by tamger

» Bitdefender Total Security 2015 License Key And Serial Key
Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:19 am by tamger

» Psiphon For 64bit Windows 7
Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:06 am by tamger

Advertisement

Share | 

Free agency talk

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Free agency talk   Wed May 04, 2011 3:09 pm

Redskins | May be ready to move on from Santana Moss
Wed, 04 May 2011 10:01:01 -0700

The Washington Redskins may decide not to re-sign impending free-agent WR Santana Moss this offseason after taking three wide receivers in the 2011 NFL Draft.

0 Comments | Share: | Source: CSNWashington.com - Rich Tandler

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1LPaniwcq

Dont know about you guys but this is a veteran I'd love to add if he's available.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SylvesterMalone1978
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Free agency talk   Wed May 04, 2011 6:20 pm

I heard the chiefs were going after the San Fran NT.. But that was before Powe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Free agency talk   Wed May 04, 2011 9:14 pm

I dont mind Franklin replacing Ron Edwards if they want to pay for him. I think it would be money well spent myself. I like the thought of Franklin, Powe rotation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Free agency talk   Wed May 04, 2011 10:04 pm

I would just stick with Powe and Smith as the NT's. MAYBE resign Edwards also depending on the DE positions since Smith can play both positions. Shaun Smith probably would have taken over the starting NT spot last year if it weren't for Jackson getting hurt.. but Edwards really isn't a bad NT at all.. he just isn't a top one like Powe could be.

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Free agency talk   Fri May 06, 2011 10:04 am

Chiefs owner Clark Hunt told callers that small-market teams such as the Chiefs could be at a competitive disadvantage with big-market teams if the NFL does not adjust to the times.

For an example, Hunt needs only to watch the small-market Kansas City Royals. Unable to match the richer clubs' salary offers for top players the Royals have developed, Kansas City has been shut out of baseball's postseason since 1985.

"It's incredibly important for a team like the Kansas City Chiefs that we have a collective bargaining agreement that is good for all 32 clubs," Hunt said. "We don't want a system that heads in the direction of baseball. We have some concern that this has the potential to go that way. We want a deal that allows our great game to continue to grow

No CBA in place and Hunt is already crying small market. Changing his name to Clark Glass.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Free agency talk   Fri May 06, 2011 12:20 pm

Yeah its just how it works. We wont be a big money team like the NY teams.

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Free agency talk   Fri May 06, 2011 2:20 pm

I dont see it going the way of baseball myself. Not when the last 2 SB's have been the most watched shows in history. At least I hope they dont fuck a good thing up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Free agency talk   Fri May 06, 2011 2:43 pm

If it does i'm done with the NFL. I cant stand the fucking Jets, Giants.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Free agency talk   Fri May 06, 2011 4:09 pm

If it does a lot of people will be done with it. Owners like Snyder and Jones will be paying player likes S. Holmes 10 million a year to be a #5 WR. carrying 3 rb's like Peterson, Rice, and Johnson. Yes last year a lot of big spending teams lost but give it time and those owners will just spend more. You can make a 10-15 million dollar mistake when it is on your 5th WR or 3rd RB.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Free agency talk   Fri May 06, 2011 8:35 pm

Chiefs Will Bolster Offensive Line In Free Agency
By Josh Looney

Posted 13 hours ago

aaThe Chiefs are still thin at offensive tackle with just three players under contract for 2011

Two years in a row, the majority of draft pundits had the Chiefs selecting an offensive tackle in the first round. Two years in a row, the Chiefs passed on taking a tackle – in all seven rounds.

Over the last two years, small television graphics have declared offensive tackle a “top-need” each time the Chiefs have been on the clock. Despite the network suggestions, no offensive tackles were selected with any of the Chiefs 16 draft picks.

Maybe the Chiefs view the position differently than most are led to believe?

Tackle remains a team need after the draft; there’s no questioning that. From a numbers perspective, Kansas City’s hand is forced. Aside from starters Branden Albert and Barry Richardson, converted defensive lineman Bobby Greenwood is the only reserve tackle under contract for 2011.

“Clearly at some point we’ll have an opportunity with both college free agents and also pro free agents to bolster the line as well, so I understand your concern,” Chiefs Chairman Clark Hunt responded when a season ticket holder voiced his concern about the offensive line during Thursday’s Q&A conference call.

“It is an area that we’re focused on. We took one step in the draft with Rodney (Hudson), but I think you’ll see some more moves as we move into free agency.”

But what strategy will the Chiefs use to fill that need? Will the team be looking to add depth? Find a new starter?

Kansas City’s offense appeared to get along just fine with Richardson serving as the club’s starting right tackle last season. An unlikely candidate to start before the season began, Richardson seized an opportunity after incumbent Ryan O’Callaghan suffered a mid-August injury.

O’Callaghan’s injury opened the door for Richardson to prove himself. The former sixth-round pick went from a third-year player with one career start to a 16-game starter in 2010. In addition, the Chiefs led the NFL in rushing and dramatically cut its sacks-allowed total from the year before.

The highlight of Richardson’s season came at Seattle when Branden Albert was out with an injury. Richardson stepped up to make his first career start at left tackle. Kansas City’s rushing attack pounded out 270 yards on 5.6 yards per carry that day, while Matt Cassel threw four touchdown passes. Cassel wasn’t’ sacked.

The Chiefs draft strategy last weekend certainly showed confidence in both Albert and Richardson, but General Manager Scott Pioli also made it clear that the team isn’t done filling needs.

“Did we feel every need? Absolutely not because we want every day to find a way whether it is the draft, free agency, trades, claiming players on waivers, we need to improve our football team every single day,” Pioli said in a post-draft briefing. “We have gotten better a number of those places but we are still so far away. We will reassess the roster where it is when this whole thing starts. At some point in time there is going to be more player acquisition and we will continue to do that.”

Part of that assessment will determine the Chiefs free agency approach at offensive tackle. There will be a number of options available to choose from.

While it seems like a given that undrafted rookies will help fill out the preseason roster, veterans with starting experience will also factor into the mix.

The rules for the 2011 league year are still undetermined, but last season’s format would produce 11 unrestricted free agent tackles to begin free agency.

Unrestricted Free Agency: Offensive tackles available under 2010 rules

Player Team Seasons
Khalif Barnes Raiders 6
Alex Barron Cowboys 6
Jammal Brown Redskins 6
Kirk Chambers Bengals 6
Wayne Hunter Jets 6
Matt Light Patriots 10
Sean Locklear Seahawks 7
Chester Pitts Seahawks 9
Barry Sims 49ers 12
Langston Walker Raiders 9
Ray Willis Seahawks 6

Additional veterans will come available once teams are allowed to begin cutting players. The Chiefs picked up both Ryan Lilja and Thomas Jones following their respective release last off-season. Don’t rule out a trade either.

With the Chiefs still needing to fill roughly 20 roster slots to form an 80-man preseason roster, plenty of activity is ahead. How the team approaches the tackle position will be one of the top storylines.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Free agency talk   Fri May 06, 2011 10:25 pm

The NE beat writing thinks Matt Light could be signing with the Chiefs.

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Free agency talk   Sat May 07, 2011 11:59 am

Players I'd like in FA.
1) WR- S. Moss
2) WR Stallworth

3) OT- Light or Barnes

4) QB- Ramsey--- I think Stanzi is our future but I'd like a veteran as a #2 in case the backup has to play an extended period of time this year.

5) LB- Ruud
6) RB- Cadillac-- Jones showed his age late in the season.
7) FS- Wilson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Free agency talk   Sat May 07, 2011 6:48 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chiefs | OL likely target in free agency
Sat, 07 May 2011 13:00:58 -0700

The Kansas City Chiefs likely will look to add some offensive linemen once free agency begins. OT Bobby Greenwood is the only backup tackle under contract for next season.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1Li3dMqwl
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SylvesterMalone1978
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Free agency talk   Sat May 07, 2011 8:20 pm

We have 20 open spots, we should be signing a lot of positions. OT is a given, because we only have the Two starters on the roster and a converted project player as the only reserve.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Free agency talk   Mon May 09, 2011 4:09 pm

Matt Light - T - Patriots

ESPN Boston's Mike Reiss floats the possibility of free agent LT Matt Light signing with the Chiefs.
Light has obvious ties to Chiefs GM Scott Pioli, and Kansas City could use an upgrade at offensive tackle over Barry Richardson. Reiss suggests a two- or three-year agreement. Light seems unlikely to return to New England after publicly admonishing Pats owner Bob Kraft during CBA talks. Factors working against Light are age (33 next month) and offseason shoulder surgery.

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Free agency talk   Mon May 09, 2011 4:20 pm

I could see it with him turning 33. NE wont want to be in a bidding war. They dont like to overpay for aging players. Then again, Hunt is already crying small market, so I'm not sure he'd open the pocketbook either. I'd like to bring in a few myself so I'd be all for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OutlawChief
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Free agency talk   Mon May 09, 2011 6:34 pm

I would like to see us bring in matt light or preferably jared gaither on offensive line. NT franklin from SF would be great. But powe will be good so most likely resign smith or reed. Would still love another WR since McCluster will be more of a RB this year. Sims-Walker, Santana Moss, Steve Breaston, or even Braylon Edwards if the price is right.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SylvesterMalone1978
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Free agency talk   Mon May 09, 2011 7:37 pm

I think Moss would be perfect for this offense!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SylvesterMalone1978
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Free agency talk   Mon May 09, 2011 7:38 pm

Breaston would be my second favorite.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Free agency talk   Mon May 09, 2011 9:16 pm

If McCluster is playing RB they are idiots. He cant take the beating. He is our slot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Free agency talk   Mon May 09, 2011 9:34 pm

While I would rather see him stay in the slot, I have to disagree about him not being able to take a beating. He might be shorter than Charles, but hes also a lot thicker. If Charles can play RB so could McCluster.

Mod Lord
Mod Lord

PostSubject: Re: Free agency talk   Mon May 09, 2011 10:01 pm

Breaston wont get away from Arizona..I also dont see Light signing with the Chiefs unless its his best option, which I dont think it will be.

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Free agency talk   Mon May 09, 2011 10:53 pm

I would like Moss also. Speaking of Moss, the other Moss will also be a free agent.. could you imagine Moss-Baldwin-McCluter-Moeaki-Bowe?

I'm sure Haley would love Breaston.. I don't really know the whole situation though.. I would assume Arizona tries pretty hard to keep him.

I've always been a big Braylon Edwards fan.. and I sure wouldn't complain if we got him.. but we might be better off with someone with better hands.. Bowe, Baldwin, and Edwards can all drop some balls from time to time.

All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Free agency talk   Tue May 10, 2011 6:45 pm

I think Breaston is the best option. The connection Pioli has with Light will help get him here. At his age and the fact that not allot of teams have the huge need at LT. I could see us getting him or Tyson Clabo to play Tackle. Franklin from SF to play NT would be a great pick up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FatThucker
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Free agency talk   Tue May 17, 2011 9:10 pm

No to Braylon Edwards, HELL NO to Randy Moss. Santana Moss or Steve Smith would be a decent stop-gap option, as long as we don't have to outbid Washington or Dallas. Steve Breaston, Malcolm Floyd and Sidney Rice are the only legit long-term free agents at WR (Rice is too similar to Baldwin and Bowe for the Chiefs). Matt Light or Tyson Clabo would be a huge step in making our offense nearly impossible to defend. Noone is talking about RB though. Thomas Jones belongs in a motorized wheelchair. We need a bruiser that can last all season. A true bruiser would make Jamaal Charles an immortal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Free agency talk   

Back to top Go down

Free agency talk
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next