ARROWHEAD DRIVE

Best source for up to the minute Chiefs news, updates, rumors, and inside information!

Home  Calendar  FAQ  Usergroups  ArcadeArcade  Register  Log in  
Poll
Who is it?
 Geno Smith
 Luke Joekel
 Domontre Moore
 Jarvis Jones
 Manti Te'o
 Star Lotulelei
 Tyler Wilson
 Other
View results
Latest topics
» Naruto Shippuden Season 5 (English Dub)
Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:05 pm by tamger

» Jordi-nio-polla-dscargar-gratis
Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:23 pm by tamger

» Rihanna Russian Roulette
Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:06 pm by tamger

» Bitdefender Total Security 2015 License Key And Serial Key
Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:19 am by tamger

» Psiphon For 64bit Windows 7
Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:06 am by tamger

Advertisement

Share | 

Draft Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
FatThucker
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Draft Thread   Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:08 pm

First topic message reminder :

Cam Newton!?!? They just drafted Jimmy Clausen last year?!?! He had 3 TDs and 9 INTs! I bet if he had a whole year, he could almost double those numbers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

AuthorMessage
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Draft Thread   Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:36 pm

The Bailey pick was a head scratcher and he appears to be strictly a pass rusher in the mold of Gillberry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Draft Thread   Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:38 pm

Allen Bailey, DT, Miami

Allen Bailey has not spent much time at defensive tackle, but that has not stopped NFL scouts from drooling over his potential. As a freshman in 2007, he spent most of his time on special teams and played just two downs as a linebacker. In 2008 he started four games at defensive end. However, he would often move to the interior of the line during third down situations. He ended his sophomore campaign with 36 tackles, 9.0 tackles-for-loss and a team high 5.0 sacks.

His potential and versatility led to high expectations heading into 2009. And Bailey did not disappoint. Bailey's tackle numbers slipped to 32 during the regular season, but he ended up with 11.0 tackles-for-loss and 7.0 sacks, leading the Hurricanes in both categories. At 6-4 and 288 pounds, Bailey is a fine pass rusher and could be a good tackle in the NFL if he adds some weight. However, Bailey appears ready to be an end after spending his senior season at that position.

His versatility is a plus, but NFL teams will want him to be either an end or a tackle. He is probably better suited to play tackle at the next level, but if he can keep getting to the quarterback, he could play either spot quite well in the NFL.

1/15 Update: In 2010, Miami's pass rush was inconsistent, but Bailey led the way with 7.0 sacks. He added 11.0 tackles-for-loss and three quarterback hurries on the year. The lack of run defense was a big problem for the Hurricanes and the game tape will not bode well for Bailey in that department. However, as a pass rusher Bailey is a dynamic player who is worthy of a second round selection. An invite to the Senior Bowl will likely help him out a little bit and do not be surprised if by the end of all the prodding, Bailey is a late first round pick.

NFL Combine Results
40-Yard Dash 4.77
Bench press 27
Vertical jump 36.5
Broad jump 9'9
Three-cone drill

Last edited by BigRatt on Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Draft Thread   Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:38 pm

maybe they want him to put on some weight and have as insurance if Tyson comes out and flops this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Draft Thread   Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:05 pm

Shane Bannon/FB-TE/Yale: His offensive statistics won't impress anyone as Bannon never carried the ball as a senior and accumulated just 13 receptions. His blocking skills, however, are another story. Bannon is built like a tank, measuring 6-1½, 268 and plays to that size. He's lined up at fullback and tight end with one simple mission -- annihilate opponents, which he does with regularity. Bannon is getting serious consideration from the Ravens and Giants to perform these skills at the next level.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Draft Thread   Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:06 pm

Looking forward to seeing this Hammerhead blast fools out of the way for Charles
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Draft Thread   Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:09 pm

Hopefully they bring this guy in for a workout if someone doesn't pull the trigger late in the 7th.

Blaine Sumner - NT - Colorado School of Mines: Affectionately known as the "Vanilla Gorrilla," Sumner is one of the best-kept secrets on the defensive line, he stands 6'2, 335. He's an all-conference player that posted 32 tackles and blocked three kicks as a senior. He completed 52 reps on the bench press during his pro-day workout, while squatting 905 pounds and benching 625. Sumner is also on pace to receive a master's degree in Engineering and Technology Management. He's lined up at fullback and was also used as a short-yardage runner. Sumner has drawn interest from a number of teams with the Raiders and 49ers leading the way.

Overview Very productive 4-year-starter, small-school pure nose.

'07: 33 total tackles, 7 TFLs, 6.5 sacks.
'08: 32-4.5-1.5
'09: 33-7-4, along with 2 hurries and a FR.
'10: 32-6.5-.5, along with 2 FRs, and 3 blocked kicks.

Also ran the ball occasionally in SY or goal line. Career rushing mark: 26-38-3.

Strengths
Freakishly strong pure nose. Has squatted 1000 pounds and owns the 2010 Raw Squat American Record . Has done 50 reps at 225, with a 635 bench max. 425 hang clean. Plays with good leverage. Can stone the double team at this level. Pro size. Quicker than you might think. Very consistent and reliable. Will earn his money.

Weaknesses
Short arms. No versatility. A little overaged. Maxed out. May be too tightly wound. Despite his straight line speed, will not be much of a pass rush threat at the next level.

Projection
Priority UDFA who will be a tough cut for a 3-4 team.

Last edited by BigRatt on Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Draft Thread   Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:12 pm

I dont know anything about Sumner but this is the kind of som bitch that I would want on my team!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Draft Thread   Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:20 pm

My God, check at this clip of Blaine Sumner!

http://youtu.be/2D38T-0I24s

I would have much rather drafted Sumner there than Bannon! His fullback clips were freaking unbelievable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chiefbravebull
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Draft Thread   Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:30 pm

I would be all for him as a UDFA. He is very stiff which will cause many injury problems. THe level of competition he was playing against doesnt help his case. He is is probably the strongest person in this draft, has a good motor. I would like to see how he does against a smart Center who is willing to just cut him down.

We have Powe at NT now. Powe is a better athlete than him. I say we bring Sumner in anyways and see what he is made of.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Draft Thread   Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:35 pm

I dont think UDFA can be messed with yet. They are going to be the ones screwed big time in this CBA mess. The offseason will be so shortened teams arent going to be able to get a good look at these guys.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chiefbravebull
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Draft Thread   Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:38 pm

We will bring some in though and I am for giving this Vanilla Gorilla a look.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Draft Thread   Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:54 pm

chiefbravebull wrote:
We will bring some in though and I am for giving this Vanilla Gorilla a look.

Hell yes, what a beast!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Draft Thread   Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:08 pm

we cant bring in any if the lockout is still in effect
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chiefbravebull
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Draft Thread   Sun May 01, 2011 12:11 am

i know it is, i just wish it wasnt so we could keep shit rollin.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Draft Thread   Sun May 01, 2011 9:40 am

the 8th circuit is a lot more business friendly. this could still last a while.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Draft Thread   Wed May 04, 2011 10:51 am

Strange Draftfellows … Mid-week Cup O’Chiefs
May 4, 2011 - Bob Gretz | Comments (2)

One of the reasons that I’ve enjoyed covering pro football for more than three decades has always been the stories behind the stories.

Those always pop up during the NFL Draft, when more than 250 players are injected into the league all in the span of a few days. Just from that group alone it makes for some strange Draftfellows, odd juxtapositions of young men and their stories.

Like the final two players drafted by the Chiefs – sixth-round NT Jerrell Powe and seventh-round FB Shane Bannon. The differences in their stories at the bottom of the list of nine Kansas City draft choices are probably the most dramatic in the league.

There is Powe, a 6-2, 330-pound monster in the middle of the Ole Miss defense, who is considered one of the best players to ever come up through the ranks of Mississippi schoolboy football. All the biggest programs offered him scholarships – Auburn, LSU, Nebraska, Tennessee, Alabama, Texas A&M, to name just a few.

But his biggest struggles were not on the football field, but in the Mississippi classrooms and courtrooms. This is a young man whose mother said in a deposition that her son could not read. For three years after his high school graduation, Powe could not get the NCAA to declare him eligible to play.

And there is Bannon, who this week is taking his last two finals on the way to a bachelor’s degree in political science at Yale University. His senior thesis was titled “How the New Media Affected Barrack Obama’s Campaign and its Affect on Presidential Campaigns in 2012.”
Just three months ago, Bannon had given little thought to a career in pro football. After graduation (in two weeks), he was going to take a year off, prepare to take the LSAT, and possibly find a graduate assistant job at a college where he could continue his education while getting his foot in the door of coaching. There was also a consideration of law school going to law school.

Here are their stories.

POWE

Coming out of Wayne County High School in Waynesboro, Mississippi, Powe was a five-star recruit according to the scouting services and he was a three-time all-state selection and was picked for the prestigious Parade Magazine All-America team.

He committed to play at Ole Miss and signed a letter of intent in February 2005. But the school denied him admission because of his test scores and a lack of certain core requirement courses.

Powe went off to Virginia and spent the 2005 football season at Hargrave Military Academy where he attempted to improve his academic standing.

He tried to enroll in 2006 at Mississippi, but the NCAA said he was ineligible as they had concerns about some of the correspondence courses he had taken to meet qualification standards. The same thing happened in 2007. The University filed an immediate appeal of the decision as Powe was ineligible to play in the ’07 season. He did attend classes, but only because of a temporary restraining order that was granted after he sought help from the courts.

The NCAA rejected the appeal and Powe and his mother Shirley filed a lawsuit against the NCAA. It was in a deposition in preparation for that suit where Shirley Powe was quoted as saying “Jerrell really is a good child, but he just can’t read.”

That comment would rattle through the world of college athletics, though the truth of her comment was in doubt after Powe read out loud a story in a Mississippi paper. “She was quoted wrong,” Powe has said.

Eventually, the law suit was withdrawn and for a third time, Powe enrolled at Ole Miss, under a plan where he could prove that he was able to handle the school work necessary for him to achieve eligibility. He did just that.

“I’m proud of myself,” he said. “I was never going anywhere else. I’m going to Ole Miss. If I’ve got to sit out two more years, I’m going to Ole Miss.

“I always wanted to play football and I wanted to do whatever it took to play football.”

It was on July 28, 2008 that the Southeastern Conference declared him eligible to play football at Ole Miss. That night, Powe celebrated at his family’s home, joined by his high school coach Marcus Boyles.

“He just kept working hard, kept believing, and finally his dream’s coming true,” Boyles said. “I couldn’t be happier for him. The thing I’m proudest of is that this young man never quit. He got knocked down a few times. People kept saying that it would never happen, never happen, never happen. And finally, it happened.”

His coach at Mississippi was equally profuse in his praise of Powe.

“Anybody could have stopped after the first time or second time or third time when he couldn’t get in school,” Coach Houston Nutt. “But this guy keeps going. He has a drive for excellence, whether in the classroom, on the football field and the weight room.

“Professors like him; his name never shows up on any lists (for missing class). He loves his teammates and his teammates love him. He’s got a heart bigger than Vaught-Hemingway (Stadium).”

BANNON

As his college football career came to an end on that cold November Saturday last fall, Shane Bannon walked off the field at Harvard Stadium and figured that Yale’s 28-21 loss to the Crimson would be his last chance to play competitive football. There was sadness in that thought.

He had never played organized football until his sophomore year at Pomperaug High School in his hometown of Southbury, Connecticut. But as soon as he started running up and down the field, running into people, knocking them over, he found out football was a lot like hockey, which he had played since he was a mighty-mite.

Bannon sat out his freshman year (as all Ivy League players do) he looked forward to handing out punishment to help relieve the pressure that builds juggling the heavy academic load that comes with an Ivy League education.

But there really wasn’t any thought on his part that football could continue beyond that Harvard game. There had been consideration given the previous year when Yale welcomed a new head coach, Tom Williams, who had been on Jack Del Rio’s staff with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

“Shane has come a long way, probably as far as anyone on our football team,” Williams said. “We challenged him to be tougher. We said, ‘You’re a 265-pound man, and we need you to play like that.’ He has done that the last year.

“I am just as proud of him as I can be because of the player he has become. He is a big, skilled athlete, but he will also split you open. He is a physical, aggressive blocking guy, and that is something we needed him to be.”

After sitting out that freshman season, Bannon didn’t become a starter until midway through his junior season. He never felt comfortable no matter what was asked of him as he bounced around that year between fullback, tight end and H-back because of a bum shoulder.

But surgery after that 2009 season for a torn labrum made him good as new and he came back as a senior and played largely at fullback, with a lot of special teams work.

“He is like an extra guard who obviously has the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield, as well,” Williams said. “That added dimension of his size and pass-catching ability is a difficult matchup for opponents. He has been very successful in that role for us this year.”

All through those four years, Bannon juggled his football with his academic work, something he had done well enough in high school to earn conference all-academic honors, and he picked up a few of those at Yale as well.

After Yale’s season, Williams again told Bannon that he had a skill set that would interest the NFL. Uninvited to the post-season all-star games and the NFL Combine, Bannon began a 12-week program trying to improve his speed. Working with the strength and conditioning staff on campus in New Haven, the idea was to improve his speed.

And he also got hooked up with agent Joe Linta, who is one of the more respected player reps in the league. One of the many clients he’s had over the years that played for the Chiefs was Will Shields. Linta saw Bannon on tape and then saw him workout and he started pushing his new client with his NFL connections, including guys like Chiefs GM Scott Pioli.

“He blows people up as a blocker, he is a demon on special teams, he catches the ball really smooth low and behind him, and he is a really good route runner,” Linta said. “When he is playing tight end, and they run boot or waggle, he gets across the field as quick as anyone I have seen, and he has tremendous position versatility.”

Plus, that 12-week program had him clocking in at 4.7 seconds in the 40-yard dash. To find someone in the 6-2, 265-pound range who can run that fast drew the attention of teams tipped off by Linta. They came to the Yale campus to work him out, clubs like the Chiefs, Patriots, Seahawks and Bears.

“It was absolutely surreal,” Bannon said. “If you asked me a year ago what my chances were to go to an NFL training camp, I would have told you one in a million. I think I have put myself in a really good position to try to make it to the next level.”

On Day 3 of the NFL Draft and in the seventh round, the guy who just a few years before really wasn’t that interested in football was on the phone talking with Todd Haley and finding out that the LSAT would just have to wait.

“It feels amazing,” Bannon said. “We (Yale) haven’t had a draft pick since 2004 and you know all these guys work so hard, we work as hard as anyone across the country. I think it just gives the guys a lot to look forward too.”
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FatThucker
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Draft Thread   Wed May 04, 2011 11:02 am

I've heard Powe has dyslexia. Explains why his mom would claim he couldn't read.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SylvesterMalone1978
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Draft Thread   Wed May 04, 2011 12:08 pm

He doesn't need a brain to play NT!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Draft Thread   Wed May 04, 2011 12:43 pm

If he can hold of two defenders freeing up the LB's and still being able to stuff the run, I don't give two shits if he can read. I personally don't think hes as stupid as people are making him sound... but even if he is, Emmit Smith can't even talk and he was great. Actually a lot of football players are stupid. As long as they play great on the field on Sundays, whatever.

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Draft Thread   Wed May 04, 2011 9:18 pm

He dont need a playbook, his assignment is simple. I kinda liked his story myself. Hes been effected by adversity and responded. I think it says alot about his work ethic myself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Draft Thread   

Back to top Go down

Draft Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3