ARROWHEAD DRIVE

Best source for up to the minute Chiefs news, updates, rumors, and inside information!

Home  Calendar  FAQ  Usergroups  ArcadeArcade  Register  Log in  
Poll
Who is it?
 Geno Smith
 Luke Joekel
 Domontre Moore
 Jarvis Jones
 Manti Te'o
 Star Lotulelei
 Tyler Wilson
 Other
View results
Latest topics
» Naruto Shippuden Season 5 (English Dub)
Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:05 pm by tamger

» Jordi-nio-polla-dscargar-gratis
Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:23 pm by tamger

» Rihanna Russian Roulette
Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:06 pm by tamger

» Bitdefender Total Security 2015 License Key And Serial Key
Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:19 am by tamger

» Psiphon For 64bit Windows 7
Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:06 am by tamger

Advertisement

Share | 

Labor Negotiations

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Labor Negotiations   Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:27 pm

First topic message reminder :

If you're tired of hearing about NFL labor, if you're weary of billionaires vs. millionaires, well, get used to it. For the next six months that's all you'll be discussing when it comes to football. Know why? This is why.

"If there's no agreement by the end of March," said one NFL player with intimate knowledge of the negotiations, "then there won't be until September or October. And I don't think there will be an agreement by March."

Drew Brees might have a lot more time to hit the golf course this offseason. (AP)
"I think this is going to be bloody," he added.

Oh, crap. Here we go. Crap.

I don't believe you, I told him. No way the golden goose gets cooked. The goose is laying too many fabulously juicy eggs.

"If you heard the language emerging from that meeting ... it's far worse than people generally know," he said.

Here we go. Crap.

What are these negotiations like, he was asked?

"The movie Braveheart," he said.

(Why does everyone compare everything to Braveheart?)

The player's explanation made total sense. In one scene, the protagonist, William Wallace, moments before a battle, goes to the middle of the battlefield to negotiate with a representative of King Edward Longshanks. Wallace knows he's going to fight the army so the negotiation is pointless but he does it anyway, and in the end antagonizes Longshanks' representative. Negotiations end and the battle proceeds.

The player said both the owners and players are William Wallace (not a sentence you'll read every day). They are negotiating knowing nothing will come of those discussions in the short term and that eventually a battle will ensue.

"Neither side is giving an inch," the player said. "Half an inch."

That explains why future negotiating sessions were called off.

The true outcome of the meetings, it seems, is a sense of how entrenched both sides have become. Some in the union are starting to genuinely fear not only will there be a lockout but there will be a protracted one that could last into the season.

My guess: The league, not the players, wants the current agreement to end. Owners, to some degree, desire the players brought to their knees and are willing to endure the bad publicity -- and potential loss of customer loyalty -- in order to get a better long-term deal.

Related links
Blog
Pete Prisco
It's ugly. And expect it to get worse. But don't get worked into a tizzy over it. It's called negotiating. Read More >>
Related links
Scheduled labor negotiating session cancelled
Ownership meeting on labor updates called off

Video
Inside the NFL: Discussing collective bargaining

There is also this piece of truth: The NFL has become our crack. Its popularity, for the foreseeable future, is unshakeable. If games are missed and you become angry, it won't matter, because you'll be back. We'll all be back.

This isn't baseball. This isn't the 1950s. Before its labor issues and steroid scandals baseball was on its way to semi-fossil-dom. Football is just hitting its stride. It's the sport of the future and will be that way for the next 20 years. Nothing can stop it, not even the impending lockout foolishness.

Football to fans: I may be away for awhile because of a lockout.

Fans to football: Do that and we're no longer BFFs. I'll never watch you again.

Football: Yes you will.

Fan: No I won't.

Football: You will. I'm crack. Here's a taste. Take a hit. You know you wanna'.

Fan: OK.

Football: Remember that feeling?

Fan: Yeeesssssss! Give me more!

Did you notice how many people watched the Pro Bowl? A putrid 55-41 game drew the highest ratings in over a decade. When people are so desperate for football that they watch the Pro Bowl in massive numbers, it says a great deal.

The player was asked the odds of a lockout being avoided.

"The same as me becoming president of Egypt," he said.

Well, there might be an opening soon.

Here we go.

Crap.

For more from Mike Freeman, check him out on Twitter: @realfreemancbs

Comments
Newest Newest | Oldest Oldest (loading data...) Prev1234567891011Next No comments yet. Be the first to comment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

AuthorMessage
FatThucker
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:45 am

And I don't want to open myself up to speeding tickets, yet I still speed sometimes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:45 pm

Speeding and losing millions isnt exactly a good comparison. losing a case on a speeding ticket may cost a 100 bucks or so, but the owners losing a collusion case in the supreme court could cost them not only money, but leverage in negotiations. A lot more at stake here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:08 am

SI_PeterKing Peter King
For fb fans, Doty's ruling that NFL can't use $4B in TV money for '11 expenses during lockout is gd news. Could push sides to legit talks.

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
Doty ruled for Players in TV Case. Overturned Burbank's Decision. All TV Contracts violate CBA. Separate earing to come on the damages

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:10 am

http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-footb...99combine.html

If the NFL follows through with its plan for a lockout on Friday, the players won’t be the only people on the outside looking in.

About a dozen of the league’s 32 teams – including the Chiefs – plan to immediately cut the salaries of their coaching staffs, including in some cases the head coach.

According to Larry Keenan, the executive director of the NFL Coaches Association, those cuts range from 10 to 40 percent and there are some teams that will layoff or furlough coaches rather than have them continue to work in the team’s offices.

“Players will be affected (by a lockout) because they’ll lose bonuses, but they don’t lose salary in March, April or May,” Keenan said. “The coaches will lose pay.”

Every coaching contract in the league has language covering the possible ramifications with a lockout/strike/work stoppage. Speaking at the NFL Combine, Keenan said 10 to 12 teams have already told their coaches they will operate as business as usual and will not lay off coaches or cut their salaries.

“Those teams are not a surprise, they are the best run organizations in the league,” said Keenan. “Teams like Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Houston, New York Giants, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Denver. They’ve already told their coaches nothing will change.”

Another eight teams plan to operate as normal for the first 30 days or so; it would be after that time when they could force furloughs and salary cuts, or continue to operate without changes.

“The majority of the owners think coaches are valuable parts of their organization,” said Keenan.

That leaves about a dozen NFL teams that obviously disagree because they plan to immediately cut coaches pay with a lockout. That group includes the Chiefs. How serious the salary cuts are is not something the organization is willing to talk about. But apparently Chiefs Chairman Clark Hunt doesn’t mind being the bad guy with his coaching staff – league sources have described the cuts to the team’s coaching payroll as “radical.”

“I know from what I’ve heard from our coaches it’s going to be among the most massive cuts in the league,” Keenan said of the Chiefs lockout scalpel.

Head coach Todd Haley would not address the subject while at the Combine. “I’m not going to talk about that,” he said.

Other teams expected to immediately cut the salaries of coaches are San Diego, Arizona, San Francisco, Atlanta, New Orleans, Buffalo, Jacksonville, New England, Dallas, Houston, Washington and Tampa Bay.

“Every team has a clause that says their salary will be rolled back at a certain point in time,” Kennan said. “The good teams say they won’t roll back salaries for six months. The bad teams say they’ll roll it back immediately and certain teams have it written into the contracts that they can be terminated immediately. That’s for all coaches and head coaches.”

It certainly sets up an uneven situation in the league. If the doors are locked, then every team will not have access to its players. But the same can’t be said about coaches. If the Chiefs coaches are asked to take a pay cut because of the lockout, it’s hard to imagine that they will continue to work the kind of hours that coaches normally put in.

But say the Denver Broncos plan to operate business as usual, with their coaches not facing any pay slash or furloughs. The advantage goes to the Broncos in a football sense and we won’t even touch the feelings created within the coaching staffs when it comes to loyalty to the organization.

“If one team is going to cut the defensive line coach 30 percent, and another isn’t going to take the opportunity to cut the defensive line coach’s pay, which team is going to have the kind of cohesive team feeling that every head coach is working towards on his staff?” asked Keenan.

“I’ve told them if you can save some money do it. There’s enough stress on these guys without being docked 25% of their pay.”

For 32 years, Keenan (right) was a football coach. He worked at the high school, college and pro levels. He was a head coach, a coordinator and a position coach and faced many pressure situations over those years. All of that prepared him for his role now as executive director of the NFLCA. His constituency faces potential problems that coaches have never before seen. It’s one of the reasons that they are seriously considering forming their own union to deal with the league.

“We’ve talked about that and talked about that with the league,” Keenan said. “We’ll have to wait our turn as the league and players work on their deal. Once that’s in place, we will be knocking on their door.

“We want respect and dignity and recognition of how valuable coaches are to the NFL.”

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:13 am

The Giants owner was the first and only owner to show up to the meetings today.

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:11 am

LOL... I knew Hunt was a cheap bastard. I hope Crennel says fuck off and goes elsewhere. he deserves better.

Last edited by Chiefs09 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:13 am

The Courts did give a big ruling in favor of the players yesterday in relation to TV contract money. Didnt catch it all, but heard parts on Nick Wright show yesterday. May help speed up the process.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:48 pm

Chiefs09 wrote:
LOL... I knew Hunt was a cheap bastard. I hope Crennel says fuck off and goes elsewhere. he deserves better.

I doubt the Chiefs are a team that cuts coaches... and if they do... it wont be guys like Haley, Zorn, or Crennel.

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: And I was right, the Chiefs wont be a team to cut any coach   Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:51 pm

Chiefs pay cuts will reach the top of organization

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 2, 2011, 8:21 AM EST

While teams like the Jets single out assistant coaches to punish in the event of a work stoppage, the Chiefs have come up with a more egalitarian approach.

Adam Teicher of the Kansas City Star reports that everyone in the organization will see a pay reduction if there is a lockout. That includes G.M. Scott Pioli, head coach Todd Haley, and team President Mark Donovan.

The plan will allow the Chiefs to avoid laying off any employees. They also won’t force anyone to take unpaid furloughs and employees will retain their full benefits.

Now that we think about it, we’re surprised there isn’t more outrage about the approach the Jets are taking. Assistant coaches are the men that can least afford a pay decrease.

Teams like the Giants are trying to avoid any pay reductions in the short term. The Chiefs will only reduce their average employee pay by 10% in a “worst case scenario” and the salaries of “top executives, vice presidents and assistant coaches would be reduced by less than 20 percent, on average” according to Teicher’s source.

Everyone on the Chiefs will be paid in full if the whole 2011 season is played.

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:03 pm

NFL ownership joins the party too
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 2, 2011, 10:23 AM EST
John Mara, Robert Kraft

Judging by attendance, Wednesday’s mediated negotiations between the NFL and NFLPA will be the most crucial yet. That’s hardly a surprise with the clock running out on this league year in, oh, 38 hours.

According to multiple reports, the entire NFL ownership labor committee is in the house on Wednesday. NFLPA President Kevin Mawae and Drew Brees also entered the fray for the first time on Wednesday. To this point, only one NFL owner had been at the meetings.

The NFL’s labor committee consists of Jerry Richardson (co-chair), Pat Bowlen (co-chair), Art Rooney, Clark Hunt, Mark Murphy, John Mara, Jerry Jones, Robert Kraft, Dean Spanos, and Mike Brown.

Richardson told Daniel Kaplan of Sports Business Journal he’s optimistic a deal can get done.

Folks we talked to in Indianapolis were skeptical of the mediated talks last week because no owners were in attendance. Now the decision makers are at least in the building.

Wednesday’s session is expected to be brief, with owners breaking for separate meetings between 12-1 p.m. ET. It’s possible the two sides could reconvene for meetings in the evening.

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:41 pm

The courts ruling on TV contracts did more to the owners then any will ever admit to
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:56 pm

mc-nfl-labor-update-0302-20110302
Owners and representatives of the NFL players union met again today in their quest to get a new collective bargaining agreement in place before the current one expires on Friday, and an unnamed source told Sports Illustrated that the talks went "better than expected."

What that means in terms of avoiding a labor stoppage remains anyone's guess.

At any rate, they'll be back at it bright and early tomorrow, with the help of a federal mediator.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:57 pm

looks like the courts put some pressure on ownership after all
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:41 pm

They can always extend the deadline too...

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:56 pm

NFL | League willing to freeze deadline
Thu, 03 Mar 2011 10:43:24 -0800

The NFL is discussing the idea of "stopping the clock" on the collective bargaining agreement negotiations in order to give the two sides more time to negotiate, according to NFL Network's Jason La Canfora. The league is also prepared to divulge more financial data. The players' union was prepared to decertify from the league Thursday, March 3, barring a last-minute breakthrough in talks.

0 Comments | Share: | Source: NFL Network - Jason La Canfora

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1FZ2zgPA5

This thing is going to just drag on and on and on
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FatThucker
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:21 pm

Just a PR move from the owners. This is essentially a lockout. Free agents still can't sign and there's not supposed to be much contact with players and coaches right now anyway. A true lockout is likely still around the corner.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:55 pm

If it is a PR move NFLPA negotiators will see it and decertify, but if they are willing to divulge more financial information I'd say it's more than a PR move. I hope the players just decertify and let the courts settle it myself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:59 pm

WASHINGTON -- The NFL and NFL Players Association are discussing the subject of "stopping the clock" on the current collective bargaining agreement to allow more time to negotiate, sources with knowledge of the situation said Thursday.

Doing so would allow the sides to continue discussing a new deal beyond Thursday's 11:59 p.m. ET deadline and would, in essence, begin a period of no football activity -- halting any player transactions.

According to NFL Network's Albert Breer, the NFL offered the extension of the CBA deadline, but the union wants the league to more thoroughly demonstrate that it's serious about negotiating in good faith toward a deal. A source said the union finds the league's current extension offer "unsatisfactory," because the owners won't go with "language to ensure progress and not just a delay of game."

Both parties in the room Thursday can approve the idea of "stopping the clock" without further approval from people on their sides.

A time extension or "stopping the clock" occured during the 2006 labor negotiations, and a deal ultimately was reached. The NFLPA also is prepared to decertify Thursday should there be no deal or extension
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:40 pm

05:27 PMYahoo! BuzzShare
DiggNewsvineRedditPrintShare0
By Nate Davis, USA TODAY
Comment

Recommend The NFL and its players union have been granted a 24-hour extension to negotiate a new collective bargaining agreement.

The current CBA was set to expire at midnight as Thursday changed to Friday and any number of outcomes could have followed.

Now the league and union have an extra day to strike a deal while the owners weigh the merits of a lockout, and the players ponder decertification and subsequent antitrust litigation.

If the players opt to go to court, they would do so with QBs Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Peyton Manning leading them as plaintiffs.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:58 pm

Its going to be just like last time. Free agency will get delayed and thats it. There will be a season. I'm not worried whatsoever.

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:31 pm

there will be a season now. the courts took away the money the owners were going to use to get through a long lockout. and with only a 24 hour extension I think they got a lot closer today.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FatThucker
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:05 am

There was always gonna be a season but thanks for confirming that. And that 24 hour extension is just to negotiate a longer extension.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:21 pm

lol. there is still a chance of no season. the only reason it is doubtful now is because of the courts decision on tv contracts
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:39 pm

WASHINGTON -- That reprieve in NFL labor negotiations will last another week.

The league and the players union agreed Friday on a seven-day extension of the collective bargaining agreement. The CBA was set to run out on Thursday before a 24-hour extension was granted.

NFL Labor
Columns
Clark Judge
This extension appears to be a signal that talks are at least productive. But there's still an enormous economic gap. Read More >>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike Freeman
Good news: another extension. Bad news: the owners' push for an 18-game season remains a major road block. Read More >>
Freeman: Past labor disputes prove everyone loses
Related links
Goodell, NFLPA's Smith eager for next week
Eye on Football: Latest updates on labor talks
NFL labor timeline: 1968-present

Video
President Obama discusses NFL labor dispute

Federal mediator George Cohen announced the new arrangement. Talks will resume Monday.

"We are continuing to work hard, to identify solutions," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said. "We believe that, as I've said many times before, that this will be solved through negotiations and that's what we're focused on."

"We'll continue to work hard, and we'll be back next week."

NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith noted both sides had committed to giving the talks a chance to move ahead. "We look forward to a deal coming out of that," he said.

Both sides met for an 11th day with Cohen before settling on a plan to keep talking. If the CBA expires the owners could lock out the players, and the union could decertify to try and prevent that through the courts -- something the NFLPA did in 1989.

"Talking is better than litigating," Goodell said.

For the moment, it at least staves off the NFL's first work stoppage since the 1987 strike. It certainly indicates neither the owners nor the players are ready to make a bold move to shut down a league that rakes in $9 billion a year.

Federal mediator George Cohen has been involved in 11 days of NFL labor negotiations. (AP)
But the extension doesn't mean the sides have gotten close on the key issues:

• How to divide the league's revenues, including what cut team owners should get up front to help cover certain costs, such as stadium construction. Under the old deal, owners received about $1 billion off the top. They entered these negotiations seeking to add another $1 billion to that.

• A rookie wage scale, and how much of the money saved by the owners under such a system would go to veteran players.

• The owners' push to expand the regular season from 16 games to 18 while reducing the preseason by two games. The players oppose that idea, citing health factors, especially the number of injuries already sustained during a 16-game regular season.

• Benefits for retired players.

"We've got very serious issues. We've got significant differences," NFL lead negotiator Jeff Pash said.

Still, he added, "there's been enough serious discussion to warrant both sides taking this step." Pash also said he wouldn't be surprised if NFL owners were at the sessions next week, a step that would strongly indicate discussions were reaching a critical stage.

Even President Barack Obama urged the sides to keep talking when asked Thursday about the NFL labor dispute.

"I'm a big football fan," Obama said, "but I also think that for an industry that's making $9 billion a year in revenue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FatThucker
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:58 pm

There is zero chance of there being no season. There never was a chance of having no season, and I don't care what some guy on ESPN told you. There's a slight chance that negotiations could go into september and shorten the season, but at some point one side will cave.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   

Back to top Go down

Labor Negotiations
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next