ARROWHEAD DRIVE

Best source for up to the minute Chiefs news, updates, rumors, and inside information!

Home  Calendar  FAQ  Usergroups  ArcadeArcade  Register  Log in  
Poll
Who is it?
 Geno Smith
 Luke Joekel
 Domontre Moore
 Jarvis Jones
 Manti Te'o
 Star Lotulelei
 Tyler Wilson
 Other
View results
Latest topics
» Naruto Shippuden Season 5 (English Dub)
Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:05 pm by tamger

» Jordi-nio-polla-dscargar-gratis
Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:23 pm by tamger

» Rihanna Russian Roulette
Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:06 pm by tamger

» Bitdefender Total Security 2015 License Key And Serial Key
Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:19 am by tamger

» Psiphon For 64bit Windows 7
Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:06 am by tamger

Advertisement

Share | 

Labor Negotiations

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Labor Negotiations   Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:27 pm

First topic message reminder :

If you're tired of hearing about NFL labor, if you're weary of billionaires vs. millionaires, well, get used to it. For the next six months that's all you'll be discussing when it comes to football. Know why? This is why.

"If there's no agreement by the end of March," said one NFL player with intimate knowledge of the negotiations, "then there won't be until September or October. And I don't think there will be an agreement by March."

Drew Brees might have a lot more time to hit the golf course this offseason. (AP)
"I think this is going to be bloody," he added.

Oh, crap. Here we go. Crap.

I don't believe you, I told him. No way the golden goose gets cooked. The goose is laying too many fabulously juicy eggs.

"If you heard the language emerging from that meeting ... it's far worse than people generally know," he said.

Here we go. Crap.

What are these negotiations like, he was asked?

"The movie Braveheart," he said.

(Why does everyone compare everything to Braveheart?)

The player's explanation made total sense. In one scene, the protagonist, William Wallace, moments before a battle, goes to the middle of the battlefield to negotiate with a representative of King Edward Longshanks. Wallace knows he's going to fight the army so the negotiation is pointless but he does it anyway, and in the end antagonizes Longshanks' representative. Negotiations end and the battle proceeds.

The player said both the owners and players are William Wallace (not a sentence you'll read every day). They are negotiating knowing nothing will come of those discussions in the short term and that eventually a battle will ensue.

"Neither side is giving an inch," the player said. "Half an inch."

That explains why future negotiating sessions were called off.

The true outcome of the meetings, it seems, is a sense of how entrenched both sides have become. Some in the union are starting to genuinely fear not only will there be a lockout but there will be a protracted one that could last into the season.

My guess: The league, not the players, wants the current agreement to end. Owners, to some degree, desire the players brought to their knees and are willing to endure the bad publicity -- and potential loss of customer loyalty -- in order to get a better long-term deal.

Related links
Blog
Pete Prisco
It's ugly. And expect it to get worse. But don't get worked into a tizzy over it. It's called negotiating. Read More >>
Related links
Scheduled labor negotiating session cancelled
Ownership meeting on labor updates called off

Video
Inside the NFL: Discussing collective bargaining

There is also this piece of truth: The NFL has become our crack. Its popularity, for the foreseeable future, is unshakeable. If games are missed and you become angry, it won't matter, because you'll be back. We'll all be back.

This isn't baseball. This isn't the 1950s. Before its labor issues and steroid scandals baseball was on its way to semi-fossil-dom. Football is just hitting its stride. It's the sport of the future and will be that way for the next 20 years. Nothing can stop it, not even the impending lockout foolishness.

Football to fans: I may be away for awhile because of a lockout.

Fans to football: Do that and we're no longer BFFs. I'll never watch you again.

Football: Yes you will.

Fan: No I won't.

Football: You will. I'm crack. Here's a taste. Take a hit. You know you wanna'.

Fan: OK.

Football: Remember that feeling?

Fan: Yeeesssssss! Give me more!

Did you notice how many people watched the Pro Bowl? A putrid 55-41 game drew the highest ratings in over a decade. When people are so desperate for football that they watch the Pro Bowl in massive numbers, it says a great deal.

The player was asked the odds of a lockout being avoided.

"The same as me becoming president of Egypt," he said.

Well, there might be an opening soon.

Here we go.

Crap.

For more from Mike Freeman, check him out on Twitter: @realfreemancbs

Comments
Newest Newest | Oldest Oldest (loading data...) Prev1234567891011Next No comments yet. Be the first to comment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

AuthorMessage
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Mon May 23, 2011 10:07 pm

the one ruling that I think will prolong this is the issue judge Doty has to rule on. Doty is almost certainly going to rule in favor of the players. Afterwards the owners will file another appeal to the 8th again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FatThucker
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Mon May 23, 2011 10:42 pm

Yup
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FatThucker
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Wed May 25, 2011 4:52 pm

Chiefs09 wrote:
FatThucker wrote:
Chiefs09 wrote:
the courts latest ruling is that the lockout stands until the next court. so the current ruling is that the Minnesota judges lifting of the lockout was no good. so by the 8th court overruling Minnesota judge says that the union still exists.

flat out wrong

100% true. Minnesota judge tells owners no more lockout, the 8th circuit reinstated it.

Come again?

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Four-judges-two-views-one-law.html

Acknowledges specifically that the union does not exist. Then that whole thing at the end about how the court date hasn't even arrived yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Wed May 25, 2011 6:40 pm

If the court truly acknowledged that the union does not exist then they legally could not have let the lockout stay in place. the only way to do so would be for the owners to legally close up shop. I know the players are going to lose on this one. The republican court will make sure the employer wins and the employee loses. Republicans do that 100% of the time. But if there is no union then there is free market which means there can be no lockout.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Wed May 25, 2011 6:54 pm

The players have already lost this battle. The republican court will do everything they can to go against the law as long as it favors the owners. when judge Doty sides with the players over TV money it is going to get interesting. If the players get a substantial amount of the TV money they can pay struggling players and this can drag on for a long time. I hope the players hold strong. I want the NFL to go on like anyone else, but not if it means the employee gets fucked over. I hope the players hold strong and win big in the tv money case.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SylvesterMalone1978
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Wed May 25, 2011 7:00 pm

Employees get fucked everywhere. If they don't like it find a new job or start your own. This country is becoming so pussyiesed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FatThucker
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Wed May 25, 2011 7:23 pm

Chiefs09 wrote:
If the court truly acknowledged that the union does not exist then they legally could not have let the lockout stay in place. the only way to do so would be for the owners to legally close up shop. I know the players are going to lose on this one. The republican court will make sure the employer wins and the employee loses. Republicans do that 100% of the time. But if there is no union then there is free market which means there can be no lockout.

Read it again. No one will judge you if you need to use a dictionary.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Wed May 25, 2011 9:00 pm

I did read it and I have said before it is a party thing. one dem judge lifted it and some repub judges put it back in place. this is also becoming a war along political lines. Both parties, dem and repub, have been pushing constitutional lines on a lot of issues.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Wed May 25, 2011 9:03 pm

Goodell: Lockout 'clearly had an impact' on fans
Posted on: May 25, 2011 12:33 pm
Edited on: May 25, 2011 3:09 pmScore: 135
Log-in to rate:Log-in to rate: Log-in to rate: Posted by Will Brinson

The NFL wrapped up its spring owners meetings in Indianapolis on Wednesday, and afterwards, as is customary, Roger Goodell took the stage to talk about rule changes, the state of football and this lockout thing.

Though Goodell sidestepped a couple of issues -- the window needed for free agency, most notably -- he was refreshingly candid abuot the damage done by the lockout

"I think it's clearly had an impact on our fans," Goodell said. "You can see that in the various metrics that we have -- whether it's ratings or for traffic on NFL.com. We see that.

"And that is a reflection on the uncertainty and frustration of our fans. And we all understand that. There are also financial consequences because of that, but clearly -- if we're not successful, that's clearly to come."

Asked as a follow-up if the lockout had affected season-ticket sales, Goodell didn't hesitate to point out that the respective clubs were all suffering when it came to locking down ticket sales.

"It clearly has an impact [on season ticket sales]," Goodell said. "Fans want certainty. I don't think you can ever underestimate -- fans are still going through challenges, just in the general economy. And those challenges continue to impact on their decisions. And rightfully so.
Owners Meetings/Labor News
Freeman: Players need to accept reality/defeat
Judge: NFL policing teams that need policing
Brinson: Rule changes focus on player safety
Steelers' Harrison: Rule-makers 'are idiots'

And that's something they have to balance when they want to put down money for a season ticket or a club seat or whatever else. And so we have to keep that in mind. The ownership has been reminded of that over the past couple of days, and they don't need reminding, because they're on the front line."

Most interesting was Goodell's response to a request for "specific data" about the impact of the lockout. He seemed absolutely amenable to providing the requested information, if only because it clearly showed the problems that the lockout is causing around the league, from the standpoint of keeping fans interested and generating revenue.

"It's a noticeable change," Goodell said. "I think you guys are aware of it -- our ratings were down in the draft for example. Roughly four million people -- that's a noticeable decrease ... about a 10 percent decrease as I recall."

While no fans want to hear about the revenue that the league, its teams and the players are currently losing, it is a significant point of interest, because money that gets thrown out the window during a labor impasse directly correlates to the difficulty in finding an agreement down the road.

"The longer it goes the more damage is done to the game and the more revenue's down and that means less money that can be divided between the parties," Goodell said.

Owners were presented the full range of plans for opening weekend, from the first game on Thursday night at Lambeau Field to commemorations of the Sept. 11 attacks on the first full Sunday of games. Those dates are not in jeopardy yet, but the longer the impasse, the more in danger they would become, particularly with the league's marketing partners, sponsors and advertisers who must commit dollars to those events well in advance.

"We're not at an Armageddon date," Eric Grubman, executive vice president of business operations for the NFL, told The Associated Press. "We're not staring that in the face this week."

But like any event looming on the horizon, the theoretically non-existent drop-dead date isn't actually that far off. But, apparently, it won't impact the way Goodell and the NFL head into the next season.

"We're approaching 2011," Goodell added, "as we would any other season."

The Associated Press contributed to this report. For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.
Category: NFL Tags: DeMaurice Smith, Labor, Lockout, Mediation, NFL, NFLPA, Owners Meetings, Roger Goodell

would be nice if the fans put a hurting on the NFL this year but I dont see it happening. I'm still spending money on my Stanzi jersey and wil probably still go to 2 or 3 games.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FatThucker
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Wed May 25, 2011 10:29 pm

Chiefs09 wrote:
I did read it and I have said before it is a party thing. one dem judge lifted it and some repub judges put it back in place. this is also becoming a war along political lines. Both parties, dem and repub, have been pushing constitutional lines on a lot of issues.

You keep yapping about democrat and republicans. Nobody is denying there are political implications. This is about you being wrong about the court's ruling and just throwing out phrases you heard on an Al Franken show to divert away from it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Thu May 26, 2011 3:43 pm

No. Either the bitch in Minn is wrong or the 8th is wrong. It cant be both. This is 100% political now. The 8th is wrong but is heavy in favor of big business. Either party with control can be wrong and go against the constitution. Hell, the 4th amendment is getting ready to be thrown out the window. Obamas health care is unconstitutional. They can be wrong and do it anyway. That is what the 8th is doing... because it can.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Fri May 27, 2011 2:21 am

Chiefs09 wrote:
The players have already lost this battle. The republican court will do everything they can to go against the law as long as it favors the owners. when judge Doty sides with the players over TV money it is going to get interesting. If the players get a substantial amount of the TV money they can pay struggling players and this can drag on for a long time. I hope the players hold strong. I want the NFL to go on like anyone else, but not if it means the employee gets fucked over. I hope the players hold strong and win big in the tv money case.

You can tell you have no business experience. Fuck the players! If they dont want to play for what they are offered there is thousands of players willing to take his place who will play. There isn't any court in the land who has the right to tell you how to run your business. If you want to get political then thats what the Republicans are for. I'm so sick of the Gov. and Democrats for that matter, sticking their nose where it doesn't belong. With the economy where it is and the fall of ticket sales, i dont blame the owners at all. I dont know how much money it takes to manage a team per year, but i got to think it is way higher than anyone of us can imagine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Fri May 27, 2011 12:06 pm

Ticket sales Down? The NFL has already acknowledged last year as being the most profitable in league history.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Sat May 28, 2011 1:37 am

Chiefs09 wrote:
Ticket sales Down? The NFL has already acknowledged last year as being the most profitable in league history.

I dont know man, I heard of awful lot of blackouts last year. Some teams it was happening like every week. I heard the league lost alot of season ticket holders last year as well. I'm sure the T.V. money compensated those figures. With the lockout the way it is, i read if they miss 2 preaseason games the league will lose 1 billion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FatThucker
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Sat May 28, 2011 8:31 am

Chiefs09 wrote:

NFL attendance has been down every year since its peak in 2007
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Sat May 28, 2011 11:15 am

then obviously ticket sales have very little to do with NFL profitability since the NFL has already said last 2 years have been most profitable in history
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Sat May 28, 2011 3:55 pm

Chiefs09 wrote:
then obviously ticket sales have very little to do with NFL profitability since the NFL has already said last 2 years have been most profitable in history

You tell me, Arrowhead holds 79451 seats. Lets say they are worth a 100 a seat for demo purposes. Thats roughly 8 million every time the Chiefs play at home in our example, we know there are tickets worth lots more than that. Not to mention each one of those spending 20 to 50 bucks apiece on food and drink, another 50 to 100 to park. I would say that is pretty significant revenue. The Chiefs didn't have much problem last year but there were teams on a regular basis with half full stadiums. Sure the networks are the biggest part of the pie, but dont count out what stadiums take in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:49 am

The Daily Shoutout
Posted on: June 2, 2011 9:54 amScore: 141
Log-in to rate:Log-in to rate: Log-in to rate: HOPE: That is a word that's being used repeatedly on Thursday by officials from both the owner and player side. When both are speaking the same language there's likely some progress being made. And that's what's happening. Progress is being made. Not PR progress. Not phony progress. Serious progress in ending this nasty and protracted battle, I'm told by multiple sources.

This doesn't mean a deal is imminent but as one high ranking member of the trade association said to me via text: "This is the first time in many months I feel like we're headed in the right direction."

They still may not get an agreement for months to come but this is the most hopeful I've heard many of the key players in this battle be in quite some time.

This is why. I've been able to confirm that owners and members of the trade association have had (not so) secret meetings in Chicago this week.

But there's another caveat that hasn't been reported until now and it's the most interesting aspect. Both Roger Goodell and DeMaurice Smith have been asked repeatedly by their respective constituents to make sure no games are missed. I'm told more reasonable owners who also have more to lose (Robert Kraft and Jerry Jones among them) have been able to quell more hard line owners and convince trade association officials that owners are sincere in getting something done.

Meanwhile, Smith has been approached by players, I'm told, that now is a prime opportunity to get a deal done. Smith has also become more open to talking since the 8th circuit setback a few weeks ago.

So, rather organically and individually, cooler heads are prevailing on both sides.

Does a deal get done now? No way. But, again, I'm told progress is being made. Let's be clear, however. Things are still contentious. This could all break down any moment.

Still, both sides say there's hope, and when is the last time you heard that word.

Category: NFL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:25 am

NFL | Progress made in settlement talks
Fri, 03 Jun 2011 12:36:36 -0700

The NFL owners made some concessions in their settlement talks with the NFL trade association that allowed the two sides to make a good amount of progress. The players have also made concessions in the talks. The concessions made by the owners are believed to be significant.

0 Comments | Share: | Source: CBSSports.com - Mike Freeman

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1OJjLImDj

Not sure why the owners would give significicant concessions when they have the players by the balls. I hope they did though. just not buying it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:39 pm

NFL contingency plans include 8-game season
Posted on: June 6, 2011 2:27 pm
Edited on: June 6, 2011 2:40 pmScore: 189
Log-in to rate:Log-in to rate: Log-in to rate: Posted by Ryan Wilson

Last week, for the first time, we saw real progress in this NFL labor mess. There's still a long way to go but it's something. With the possibility of losing games -- or worse, canceling the season -- we'll take it.

A lot can happen between now and an eventual resolution, which means the league needs contingency plans. According to SportsBusiness Journal's Daniel Kaplan, that includes planning for a shortened NFL season, even one that includes as few as eight games.

Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com writes that "An eight-game season would begin in late November, with a whopping five weeks allowed for free agency, training camps, and maybe a single preseason game. This would require a deal to be reached in October."

One of the concerns about players and owners finding common ground and ending the lockout is that the timing could throw free agency and training camp schedules out of whack. Five weeks isn't much time to cram it all in, but this sounds like an End of Days, worst-case scenario where the only other alternative is forget about the 2011 season altogether and start over in 2012.

As Florio points out, the 1982 strike-shortened season was nine games and 16 of the then-28 teams made the playoffs. That it has happened before is hardly a reason for the two sides to drag their feet on getting a deal done tout suite.

For fun, we took a look back to Week 9 of the previous five NFL seasons. Not every team had played eight games up to that point, but it serves as a proxy for our purposes here. Namely: to see how many teams were atop the standings at the midway point of the season and ended up in the playoffs. Because one argument against the shortened season (other than it takes away from the entirety of the NFL experience that stretches from September to February) is that teams can get on a two-month hot streak and win a Super Bowl. It's the cousin to Billy Beane's theory for why the Moneyball approach to winning baseball games goes out the window in the posteason.

Anyway, to the time machine:

2006, Week 9 ('*' means team made playoffs)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FatThucker
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:06 pm

The NFL lockout isn't illegal and may continue, the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled today.

Eighth Circuit rules Lockout is legal

It's a pivotal legal victory for the NFL, and not an unexpected one.

As the NFL owners and the players continue to haggle over a new collective bargaining agreement, the work stoppage will remain in effect.

The court of appeals stated that District Judge Susan Richard Nelson ignored federal law in her April 25 ruling that temporarily put the lockout on hold.

The Eighth Circuit is regarded as a traditionally conservative, pro-business legal venue.

So, their ruling wasn't a surprise.

Meanwhile, the NFL and the players continue negotiating today as they seek to hammer out a deal and preserve the preseason.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FatThucker
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:07 pm

Where's Chiefs09 when you really need an ignorant comment? Gotta say I miss the dumb fucker!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FatThucker
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:12 pm

Oh yeah, and the courts did NOT rule that the players HAVE to be a union.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:25 pm

Yeah its not the same around here without him.

All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:35 pm

It is more boring. less to talk about!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   

Back to top Go down

Labor Negotiations
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 9 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next