ARROWHEAD DRIVE

Best source for up to the minute Chiefs news, updates, rumors, and inside information!

Home  Calendar  FAQ  Usergroups  ArcadeArcade  Register  Log in  
Poll
Who is it?
 Geno Smith
 Luke Joekel
 Domontre Moore
 Jarvis Jones
 Manti Te'o
 Star Lotulelei
 Tyler Wilson
 Other
View results
Latest topics
» Naruto Shippuden Season 5 (English Dub)
Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:05 pm by tamger

» Jordi-nio-polla-dscargar-gratis
Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:23 pm by tamger

» Rihanna Russian Roulette
Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:06 pm by tamger

» Bitdefender Total Security 2015 License Key And Serial Key
Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:19 am by tamger

» Psiphon For 64bit Windows 7
Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:06 am by tamger

Advertisement

Share | 

Labor Negotiations

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Labor Negotiations   Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:27 pm

First topic message reminder :

If you're tired of hearing about NFL labor, if you're weary of billionaires vs. millionaires, well, get used to it. For the next six months that's all you'll be discussing when it comes to football. Know why? This is why.

"If there's no agreement by the end of March," said one NFL player with intimate knowledge of the negotiations, "then there won't be until September or October. And I don't think there will be an agreement by March."

Drew Brees might have a lot more time to hit the golf course this offseason. (AP)
"I think this is going to be bloody," he added.

Oh, crap. Here we go. Crap.

I don't believe you, I told him. No way the golden goose gets cooked. The goose is laying too many fabulously juicy eggs.

"If you heard the language emerging from that meeting ... it's far worse than people generally know," he said.

Here we go. Crap.

What are these negotiations like, he was asked?

"The movie Braveheart," he said.

(Why does everyone compare everything to Braveheart?)

The player's explanation made total sense. In one scene, the protagonist, William Wallace, moments before a battle, goes to the middle of the battlefield to negotiate with a representative of King Edward Longshanks. Wallace knows he's going to fight the army so the negotiation is pointless but he does it anyway, and in the end antagonizes Longshanks' representative. Negotiations end and the battle proceeds.

The player said both the owners and players are William Wallace (not a sentence you'll read every day). They are negotiating knowing nothing will come of those discussions in the short term and that eventually a battle will ensue.

"Neither side is giving an inch," the player said. "Half an inch."

That explains why future negotiating sessions were called off.

The true outcome of the meetings, it seems, is a sense of how entrenched both sides have become. Some in the union are starting to genuinely fear not only will there be a lockout but there will be a protracted one that could last into the season.

My guess: The league, not the players, wants the current agreement to end. Owners, to some degree, desire the players brought to their knees and are willing to endure the bad publicity -- and potential loss of customer loyalty -- in order to get a better long-term deal.

Related links
Blog
Pete Prisco
It's ugly. And expect it to get worse. But don't get worked into a tizzy over it. It's called negotiating. Read More >>
Related links
Scheduled labor negotiating session cancelled
Ownership meeting on labor updates called off

Video
Inside the NFL: Discussing collective bargaining

There is also this piece of truth: The NFL has become our crack. Its popularity, for the foreseeable future, is unshakeable. If games are missed and you become angry, it won't matter, because you'll be back. We'll all be back.

This isn't baseball. This isn't the 1950s. Before its labor issues and steroid scandals baseball was on its way to semi-fossil-dom. Football is just hitting its stride. It's the sport of the future and will be that way for the next 20 years. Nothing can stop it, not even the impending lockout foolishness.

Football to fans: I may be away for awhile because of a lockout.

Fans to football: Do that and we're no longer BFFs. I'll never watch you again.

Football: Yes you will.

Fan: No I won't.

Football: You will. I'm crack. Here's a taste. Take a hit. You know you wanna'.

Fan: OK.

Football: Remember that feeling?

Fan: Yeeesssssss! Give me more!

Did you notice how many people watched the Pro Bowl? A putrid 55-41 game drew the highest ratings in over a decade. When people are so desperate for football that they watch the Pro Bowl in massive numbers, it says a great deal.

The player was asked the odds of a lockout being avoided.

"The same as me becoming president of Egypt," he said.

Well, there might be an opening soon.

Here we go.

Crap.

For more from Mike Freeman, check him out on Twitter: @realfreemancbs

Comments
Newest Newest | Oldest Oldest (loading data...) Prev1234567891011Next No comments yet. Be the first to comment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

AuthorMessage
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:32 pm

Alll I have to say is fuck the NFL.. Its shit like this that puts a bad taste in my mouth. If it wasn't for me being a CHiefs maniac the last 16 years, I probally would never watch a game again.. You have one of the hottest and most popular businesses on the planet and you cant fucking agree. So once again, FUCK YOU!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:11 pm

Kraft was optimistic about the 3rd and then by the end of the extension. it will get done. the NFL wont just go away. it just wont be done by draft day or training camp. I just wonder how they will get the offseason squeezed into such a short period of time without missing some of the preseason.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:26 pm

They don't have to start when scheduled... they can delay the season if they have to. Obviously not ideal, but neither side wants to lose all that money from not playing.

All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:07 pm

They won't delay the season because Super Bowl Sundays are 'set in stone' years earlier. It would have to be cancellation of games if the season can't start on time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:30 pm

I think it will be a shortened preseason. It's a shortened FA period that would be interesting.
If FA is shortened GM's will have to make quick decisions. I dont see Pioli making quick decisions on personnel. I dont think we would be any kind of player in FA this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:08 pm

Lol. I'm sure hes been thinking of every scenario for FA a lot.

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:22 am

Yeah he thinks about it, but he is a slow negotiator. If FA is shortened the teams that act the fastest will get their player. Pioli is too big an ego. If he acts too fast he will feel the player got the better of the deal. Heaven forbid to actually pay a FA good money.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FatThucker
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:37 am

Maybe if Pioli would just start a union he could sue the free agents and force them to play for the Chiefs. I don't know though, Pioli might be a slow plaintiff too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:15 pm

Hes a slow negotiator? How do you know this?

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:36 pm

I cant think of 1 FA that has come in since Piloi and signed before he left his first visit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:55 pm

We are right sometimes and wrong sometimes. I knew thered be a lockout, you said there wouldnt be. You said T. Jackson was a great pick I said it was terrible. You say C. Hunt isnt cheap, yet we have by far smallest payroll in the NFL. Now I say Pioli wont be very involved in FA...we"ll see. when I think of something I was wrong on I'll post it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FatThucker
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:26 pm

Chiefs09 wrote:
We are right sometimes and wrong sometimes. I knew thered be a lockout, you said there wouldnt be. You said T. Jackson was a great pick I said it was terrible. You say C. Hunt isnt cheap, yet we have by far smallest payroll in the NFL. Now I say Pioli wont be very involved in FA...we"ll see. when I think of something I was wrong on I'll post it.

For the love of God please don't! I have come to really enjoy pointing out your constant idiocy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FatThucker
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:29 pm

I was gonna leave you alone after you welcomed me to your school. I usually don't tolerate making fun of people involved in special ed. But you make it pretty enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:05 pm

Chiefs09 wrote:

We will have to wait until games are missed to see if the season is locked out. Never said Jackson was a "great" pick, bad draft year and he hasn't entered this third season yet which is when DL start reaching their potential. I guess I see a difference between "Cheap" and "smart", Hunt and Pioli are actually trying to build a good team.. Also Pioli hasn't really been here long enough to say hes slow. We've had guys sign without leaving KC, but you must just be pissed because it hasn't been guys like Albert Haynesworth yet.

You have a weird sick hate for Hunt and Pioli, but get used to it because they are as good as its going to get for the Chiefs. I think you need a reality check, you want Hunt to be a big spender like Dallas and Washington, but yeah its working real great for them isn't it. Colts, Packers, and Patriots are a few of the teams who have went the route the Chiefs are. It doesn't happen in just one year. You go young, you have a small salary, and you build out from there. You start our with a small pocketbook because you will need the room in a few years when your young guys are ready for new bigger contracts and you don't want to lose them, around that same time you actually start getting good and bring in higher priced free agents to help get you over the top. You are too impatient and way ahead of yourself.

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:27 am

You mean our younger players like Hali deserving big contracts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:48 pm

With all due respect, you are an idiot if you think he deserves to be paid what he wants. He didn't have any problems getting the other young rising stars under contract, because they aren't selfish and can live off of whats already more than enough.

But besides the point, this is a different type of situation with the CBA expiring. Thats why all teams set up a lot of contracts to end this year.

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:58 pm

He is the best OLB in the AFC if not the league. He should be the highest paid. And if he isnt given what he wants and the chiefs are so cheap they let him go you can count them out of any playoff contention, much less division. a player in his prime and one of the best at his position gets paid in this league. If he isnt signed here it shows Clark Hunt is just a cheap SOB. We won the division last year and have a very good young core group. It's time for Hunt to get off the bottom of the payroll list and pay good players what they are worth. Maybe he doesnt want to because he knows he overpaid Cassel. Cant be gunshy because you have a few players that arent worth what they are being paid.(Cassel, Dorsey, Jackson). Hali is by far the best player on this team. Charles could be, but they are going to give too many of his touches to other players.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:15 pm

Hali is good. But he isn't the best in the NFL. Sure, to most Chiefs fans he is... to the rest of the NFL however he isn't. He can still get better. But he still doesn't deserve the contract he wants. And why are you saying IF now? If Hunt is as cheap as you claim, he wont be here. But Pioli isn't going to let him walk away so its a moot point. Even if Pioli were to let him walk away, Clark would step in and make sure he gets paid. You don't really understand how the whole negotiation thing goes. When the time comes where a deal has to be made, a side will cave. He isn't going anywhere.

Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:43 pm

According to John Clayton of ESPN, lawyers for the owners refuse to meet with the settlement attorneys for the players unless the trade association identifies itself as a union, which the players won't do at this time. The players, according to multiple sources, planned to meet with the owners March 28 and spend the week settling this mess. All that had to be done was have a short document go to federal judge Susan Nelson's court saying that the NFLPA's executive board would serve as advisors. The NFL's answer was no. This will be the only way a deal can be reached. Like you, we all wish both sides would go to the bargaining table instead of the courts.

All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:03 pm

the players cant identify themselves as a union right now. the owners want to convince the courts that decertification was a farce. it would only prove it to be true to the courts if they claim to be a union now. they act like the players dont have god lawyers too. guess it's safe to say it wont be done before the draft.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:45 pm

Judge Susan Nelson told NFL and NFLPA that she will impose forced mediation on them early this week. NFL wants DC, NFLPA wants Minnesota.

n00b cake
n00b cake

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:39 pm

Report: major internal rift in NFLPA
Posted on: April 20, 2011 12:57 pm
Edited on: April 20, 2011 1:12 pmScore: 128
Log-in to rate:Log-in to rate: Log-in to rate: Posted by Andy Benoit

We could soon see the first significant chink in the armor of one of the two sides in the ongoing NFL labor battle. Danieal Kaplan of the Sports Business Journal reports that a group of about 70 “mid-tier” NFL players have broken away from the NFLPA's legal efforts and committed to a law firm in an effort to gain a seat at the mediation table.

NFL Labor
Eye on Football: Latest lockout content

These players are not contesting Brady v NFL, they’re just demanding a seat at the negotiating table. The players are said to be upset that the labor talks in March broke off. They are expected to file a motion by week’s end seeking intervention from Judge Susan Nelson.

This is the first sign of serious internal rift on the NFLPA’s side. There are over 1,500 individuals on the NFLPA and just 32 individuals on the owners’ side. Thus, the likelihood of internal strife is much greater for the NFLPA. Chances are, the owners have been waiting for this kind of drama to arise.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
GOD
n00b cake
n00b cake

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:53 pm

Sides wrap up latest talks, likely no meetings until May 16
CBSSports.com wire reports
April 20, 2011
MINNEAPOLIS -- The NFL and its locked-out players wrapped up their fourth day of court-ordered talks Wednesday with few signs of progress and no plans to meet again until mid-May.

Executive vice president Jeff Pash, the NFL's lead negotiator, said U.S. Judge Magistrate Arthur Boylan told both sides they probably won't convene again until May 16 because he has a few other matters on his judicial calendar.

U.S. District Judge Susan Richard Nelson is expected to decide well before then on the players' request for an injunction to immediately lift the lockout, now in its 40th day. Her decision will almost certainly be appealed, but it could give the winning side leverage as the clock ticks on the 2011 season.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FatThucker
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Mon May 09, 2011 9:06 am

From Mike Florio:

We’re hearing initial rumblings pointing to the possibility that a loss by the league at the appellate level will prompt the owners to completely shut down all business operations until the players agree to a new labor deal. The thinking is that, if the owners cease all operations, the NFL would not be violating the court order because there would be no lockout. Instead, the league essentially would be going out of business — something for which the NFL repeatedly chided the union in the weeks and months preceding decertification of the NFLPA.

I had been wondering if this was a possibility. The courts can apparently tell the owners that they have no say in how they run their businesses, but the courts can not force them to actually run a business. This shit might be getting even uglier.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   Mon May 09, 2011 9:18 am

I wonder if Jackson county can stick the Hunts with the rest of the bill for stadium rennovations if he goes out of business
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Labor Negotiations   

Back to top Go down

Labor Negotiations
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next